public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org>
To: <docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: Re: Instalation?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:45:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Eric Bischoff wrote:

> > > But I get stuck here:
> > > [ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$ ls
> > > ISOamsa  ISOamsn  ISObox   ISOdia   ISOgrk3  ISOlat2  ISOtech
> > > ISOamsb  ISOamso  ISOcyr1  ISOgrk1  ISOgrk4  ISOnum
> > > ISOamsc  ISOamsr  ISOcyr2  ISOgrk2  ISOlat1  ISOpub
> > > [ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$
> > >
> > > What am I supposed to do with these? Should there be a README or a
> > > Makefile or something?
> >
> > When you install RPMs, you don't need to run Makefiles. Everything is ready
> > for use. The crash-course explains what you can do then.
>
> I don't think I understand. I'm trying to install on Solaris from source.
> I didn't find any information about installing from source on that crash
> course page.

You could get the Source RPM packages and get the RPM sources. Then
install RPM form source and start building the RPM packages for solaris. I
haven't done that (yet) but it seems to be possible.

Reading the SPEC files and rebuilding for Solaris is an option only to
those noble enough to have mastered building solaris packages. (I'm about
to go on a quest to apply the knowledge I have acquired and see if I can
become a craftsman of solaris packages myself. However DocBook is not
included in that particular quest as it seeks the hight of OpenSSH and
OpenSSL on Solaris 2.5 and above.)

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/