public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* Instalation?
@ 2001-07-20 11:58 Ben FrantzDale
From: Ben FrantzDale @ 2001-07-20 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

I've downloaded the sources for docbook, jade, jadetex, sgml-common and
stylesheets but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install any
of them. Is there install information anywhere?

Thanks,
   Ben FrantzDale

* Re: Instalation?
@ 2001-07-24 10:50 ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2001-07-24 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben FrantzDale, docbook-tools-discuss

On Friday 20 July 2001 20:58, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> I've downloaded the sources for docbook, jade, jadetex, sgml-common and
> stylesheets but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install any
> of them. Is there install information anywhere?

Have a look at the Crash Course to DocBook on http://www.caldera.de/~eric .

* Re: Instalation?
@ 2001-07-24 13:47   ` Ben FrantzDale
From: Ben FrantzDale @ 2001-07-24 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bischoff; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Eric Bischoff wrote:

> On Friday 20 July 2001 20:58, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> > I've downloaded the sources for docbook, jade, jadetex, sgml-common and
> > stylesheets but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install any
> > of them. Is there install information anywhere?
>
> Have a look at the Crash Course to DocBook on http://www.caldera.de/~eric .

I'd already found that page actually, but thanks.

That page only seems to describe an RPM instalation. I've got source. For
example, that page has the following:

$ su
Password: ultra-sucure
# rpm -ih sgml-common*.rpm
# rpm -ih jade*.rpm
# rpm -ih jadetex*.rpm
# rpm -ih docbook-dtd40-sgml*.rpm
# rpm -ih docbook-style-dsssl*.rpm
# rpm -ih perl-SGMLSpm*.rpm
# rpm -ih docbook-utils*.rpm
# exit

But I get stuck here:
[ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$ ls
ISOamsa  ISOamsn  ISObox   ISOdia   ISOgrk3  ISOlat2  ISOtech
ISOamsb  ISOamso  ISOcyr1  ISOgrk1  ISOgrk4  ISOnum
ISOamsc  ISOamsr  ISOcyr2  ISOgrk2  ISOlat1  ISOpub
[ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$

What am I supposed to do with these? Should there be a README or a
Makefile or something?

Thanks,
   Ben

* Re: Instalation?
@ 2001-07-24 13:51     ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2001-07-24 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben FrantzDale; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Tuesday 24 July 2001 22:47, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Eric Bischoff wrote:
> > On Friday 20 July 2001 20:58, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> > > I've downloaded the sources for docbook, jade, jadetex, sgml-common and
> > > stylesheets but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install
> > > any of them. Is there install information anywhere?

> But I get stuck here:
> [ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$ ls
> ISOamsa  ISOamsn  ISObox   ISOdia   ISOgrk3  ISOlat2  ISOtech
> ISOamsb  ISOamso  ISOcyr1  ISOgrk1  ISOgrk4  ISOnum
> ISOamsc  ISOamsr  ISOcyr2  ISOgrk2  ISOlat1  ISOpub
> [ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$
>
> What am I supposed to do with these? Should there be a README or a
> Makefile or something?

When you install RPMs, you don't need to run Makefiles. Everything is ready
for use. The crash-course explains what you can do then.

* Re: Instalation?
@ 2001-07-24 13:59       ` Ben FrantzDale
From: Ben FrantzDale @ 2001-07-24 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bischoff; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Eric Bischoff wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 July 2001 22:47, Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> > But I get stuck here:
> > [ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$ ls
> > ISOamsa  ISOamsn  ISObox   ISOdia   ISOgrk3  ISOlat2  ISOtech
> > ISOamsb  ISOamso  ISOcyr1  ISOgrk1  ISOgrk4  ISOnum
> > ISOamsc  ISOamsr  ISOcyr2  ISOgrk2  ISOlat1  ISOpub
> > [ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$
> >
> > What am I supposed to do with these? Should there be a README or a
> > Makefile or something?
>
> When you install RPMs, you don't need to run Makefiles. Everything is ready
> for use. The crash-course explains what you can do then.

I don't think I understand. I'm trying to install on Solaris from source.
I didn't find any information about installing from source on that crash
course page.

Thanks,
    Ben

* Re: Instalation?
@ 2001-07-24 14:07         ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2001-07-24 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben FrantzDale; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Tuesday 24 July 2001 22:59, Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> I don't think I understand. I'm trying to install on Solaris from source.
> I didn't find any information about installing from source on that crash
> course page.

You should have started there - with what you intend to do.

The purpose of the docbook-tools project is to provide RPMs (and perharps
someday DEBs) for the docbook tools chain. Even our RPMs don't work without
adaptations on all distributions.

What you can do if you are very courageous is unpack the source RPMs, see how
they work, try to reproduce it, and then send us whatever package format is
appropriate for Solaris, and I and Mark will be happy to put them online. I
think that an outdated version for Solaris even exists on the FTP site.

Sorry not to be able to help more.

* Re: Instalation?
@ 2001-07-24 15:45         ` Hugo van der Kooij
From: Hugo van der Kooij @ 2001-07-24 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Eric Bischoff wrote:

> > > But I get stuck here:
> > > [ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$ ls
> > > ISOamsa  ISOamsn  ISObox   ISOdia   ISOgrk3  ISOlat2  ISOtech
> > > ISOamsb  ISOamso  ISOcyr1  ISOgrk1  ISOgrk4  ISOnum
> > > ISOamsc  ISOamsr  ISOcyr2  ISOgrk2  ISOlat1  ISOpub
> > > [ben@turing:~/proj/req6229-gnome1.4/docbook/sgml-common]$
> > >
> > > What am I supposed to do with these? Should there be a README or a
> > > Makefile or something?
> >
> > When you install RPMs, you don't need to run Makefiles. Everything is ready
> > for use. The crash-course explains what you can do then.
>
> I don't think I understand. I'm trying to install on Solaris from source.
> I didn't find any information about installing from source on that crash
> course page.

You could get the Source RPM packages and get the RPM sources. Then
install RPM form source and start building the RPM packages for solaris. I
haven't done that (yet) but it seems to be possible.

Reading the SPEC files and rebuilding for Solaris is an option only to
those noble enough to have mastered building solaris packages. (I'm about
to go on a quest to apply the knowledge I have acquired and see if I can
become a craftsman of solaris packages myself. However DocBook is not
included in that particular quest as it seeks the hight of OpenSSH and
OpenSSL on Solaris 2.5 and above.)

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/