public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* rendering
@ 1999-11-08  2:52 Gary Stainburn
From: Gary Stainburn @ 1999-11-08  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'DocBook Discussion List'

Hi all.

I think I've got a rendering problem - I hope you can help.

If I use the following sgml inside my <bookinfo> and then use it to generate ps, pdf or html, there is no whitespace between the various bits - the version number runs straight into the date, again shown below.  I've even tried putting spaces in the sgml file.

I'm using the Redhat 5.2 rpms.

sgml
++++
      <revision>
        <revnumber>2.0</revnumber>
        <date>05.11.1999</date>
        <authorinitials>GPS</authorinitials>
        <revremark>Complete rewrite based on original version, with extensive
          additions made.
        </revremark>
      </revision>
 ----

rendering
++++
Revision 2.005.11.1999Revised by: GPS
----
Gary Stainburn.
Work: http://www.ringways.co.uk gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk
REVCOM: http://www.revcom.dhs.org http://www.revcom.org.uk gary.stainburn@revcom.org.uk
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from. -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

* Re: rendering
@ 1999-11-08  3:42 ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1999-11-08  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Stainburn; +Cc: 'DocBook Discussion List'

/ Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk> was heard to
| say: If I use the following sgml inside my <bookinfo> and then
| use it to generate ps, pdf or html, there is no whitespace
| between the various bits - the version number runs straight
| into the date, again shown below.  I've even tried putting
| spaces in the sgml file.

Uh, can you send me your complete bookinfo, please? For the TeX backend,
I could believe that the problem was table related, but this ought to work
in the HTML backend for sure.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Every day is a good day.--Yun-men
http://nwalsh.com/                 |

* Re: rendering
@ 1999-11-08 11:37 ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 1999-11-08 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'DocBook Discussion List'

Le Mon, 08 Nov 1999, Gary Stainburn a écrit :
> Hi all.
>
> I think I've got a rendering problem - I hope you can help.

I have one too, I hope someone can help to :

<authorblurb> isn't rendered at all in HTML. The data simply disappear.

It's a problem for KDE docs. It lead us to use <affiliation> instead of
like that. At KDE the authors usually put in the doc their own email, not the
email of some KDE mailbox. So we're breaking the semantics of DocBook, because
<affiliation> is for the organism you belong to, not for yourself.

Eric
                                           \^o~_.
     .~.                           ______  /( __ )
     /V\         Toys story         \__  \/  (  V
   //   \\                            \__| (__=v
  /(     )\                        |\___/     )
    ^^-^^                           \_____(  )
     Tux                    Konqui         \__=v
 Eric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr

* Re: rendering
@ 1999-11-08 12:28   ` David C. Mason
From: David C. Mason @ 1999-11-08 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bischoff; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr> writes:

> I have one too, I hope someone can help to :
>
> <authorblurb> isn't rendered at all in HTML. The data simply disappear.
>
> It's a problem for KDE docs. It lead us to use <affiliation> instead of
> like that. At KDE the authors usually put in the doc their own email, not the
> email of some KDE mailbox. So we're breaking the semantics of DocBook, because
> <affiliation> is for the organism you belong to, not for yourself.

You need to add the elements you want to display on the
titlepage. This is defined by "article-titlepage-recto-elements" - you
may do so in your custom stylesheets thusly:

;;titlepage display for articles
(define (article-titlepage-recto-elements)
  (list (normalize "title")
	(normalize "subtitle")
	(normalize "corpauthor")
	(normalize "authorgroup")
	(normalize "author")
	(normalize "releaseinfo")
	(normalize "copyright")
	(normalize "pubdate")
	(normalize "revhistory")
	(normalize "abstract")))

or

;;titlepage display for books
(define (book-titlepage-recto-elements)
  (list (normalize "title")
	(normalize "subtitle")
	(normalize "corpauthor")
	(normalize "authorgroup")
	(normalize "author")
	(normalize "releaseinfo")
	(normalize "copyright")
	(normalize "pubdate")
	(normalize "revhistory")
	(normalize "abstract")))

Or you can edit dbttlpg.dsl in the /html and /print directories in the
modular stylesheets.

Cheers,

Dave
--

          David Mason
        Red Hat AD Labs

        dcm@redhat.com

* Re: rendering
@ 1999-11-08 12:36     ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1999-11-08 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David C. Mason; +Cc: Eric Bischoff, docbook-tools-discuss

/ "David C. Mason" <dcm@redhat.com> was heard to say:
| Or you can edit dbttlpg.dsl in the /html and /print directories in the
| modular stylesheets.

No! Don't do that! Make a customization layer as described in the
docs. Anything you change in html/ or print/ will get blown away
by the next release.
                                        Cheers,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | So, are you working on finding
http://nwalsh.com/                 | that bug now, or are you leaving
                                   | it until later? Yes.

* Re: rendering
@ 1999-11-08 12:47       ` David C. Mason
From: David C. Mason @ 1999-11-08 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: Eric Bischoff, docbook-tools-discuss

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> / "David C. Mason" <dcm@redhat.com> was heard to say:
> | Or you can edit dbttlpg.dsl in the /html and /print directories in the
> | modular stylesheets.
>
> No! Don't do that! Make a customization layer as described in the
> docs. Anything you change in html/ or print/ will get blown away
> by the next release.

Well *I* wouldnt do it that way - and I guess I really just meant to
reference it so Eric could get a look at how it is structured.

Don't worry Norman, I will watch my mouth(fingers?) from now on!

Dave

--

          David Mason
        Red Hat AD Labs