public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-10 20:28 Paul J THACKER
From: Paul J THACKER @ 2008-06-10 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-devel

I'm porting ECOS to a new platform, based on the ARM926. I cloned an
existing platform and got everything to compile, but I can't figure out
how to add the serial driver.

I cloned an existing driver and added it to my cdl files. It shows up in
  Build->Packages, but when I try to add it, I get a message that says
"Add and remove hardware packages by selecting a new hardware template".

I tried a couple of other platforms with the same result. I'm clearly
not understanding this process. Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Paul

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-10 21:46 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-06-10 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul J THACKER; +Cc: ecos-devel

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 01:30:21PM -0700, Paul J THACKER wrote:
> I'm porting ECOS to a new platform, based on the ARM926. I cloned an
> existing platform and got everything to compile, but I can't figure out
> how to add the serial driver.
>
> I cloned an existing driver and added it to my cdl files. It shows up in
>  Build->Packages, but when I try to add it, I get a message that says
> "Add and remove hardware packages by selecting a new hardware template".
>
> I tried a couple of other platforms with the same result. I'm clearly
> not understanding this process. Can anybody help?

Hardware packages should be part of the basic target template:

target h8max {
        alias           { "H8MAX" }
        packages        { CYGPKG_HAL_H8300
                          CYGPKG_HAL_H8300_H8300H
                          CYGPKG_HAL_H8300_H8300H_H8MAX
                          CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_H8300_SCI
                          CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_H8300_H8MAX
                          CYGPKG_DEVICES_WATCHDOG_H8300_H8300H
        }
        description "
           The h8max target provides the packages need to run
           eCos in the strawberry-linux.com H8MAX board."
}

        Andrew

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-10 22:11   ` Paul J THACKER
From: Paul J THACKER @ 2008-06-10 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-devel

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 01:30:21PM -0700, Paul J THACKER wrote:
>> I'm porting ECOS to a new platform, based on the ARM926. I cloned an
>> existing platform and got everything to compile, but I can't figure out
>> how to add the serial driver.
>>
>> I cloned an existing driver and added it to my cdl files. It shows up in
>>  Build->Packages, but when I try to add it, I get a message that says
>> "Add and remove hardware packages by selecting a new hardware template".
>>
>> I tried a couple of other platforms with the same result. I'm clearly
>> not understanding this process. Can anybody help?
>
> Hardware packages should be part of the basic target template:
>
> target h8max {
>         alias           { "H8MAX" }
>         packages        { CYGPKG_HAL_H8300
>                           CYGPKG_HAL_H8300_H8300H
>                           CYGPKG_HAL_H8300_H8300H_H8MAX
>                           CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_H8300_SCI
>                           CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_H8300_H8MAX
>                           CYGPKG_DEVICES_WATCHDOG_H8300_H8300H
>         }
>         description "
>            The h8max target provides the packages need to run
>            eCos in the strawberry-linux.com H8MAX board."
> }
>
>         Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for responding. I added it to my template:

target cartesio {
         alias { "Cartesio (ARM) board" cartesio }
         packages { CYGPKG_HAL_ARM
                    CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_ARM9
                    CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_ARM9_CARTESIO
                    CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO
         }
         description "
         The Cartesio HAL package provides the support needed to run
         RedBoot on the ARM processor of the Cartesio.

}

package CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO {
     alias             { "Cartesio evaluation board"
                         devs_serial_arm_cartesio cartesio_serial_driver }
     hardware
     directory         devs/serial/arm/cartesio
     script            ser_arm_cartesio.cdl
     description       "Cartesio evaluation board serial drivers."
}

I added the code to packages/devs/serial/arm/cartesio/ - basically
copied the AT91 code and modified it for my board.

When I rebuild, the serial driver doesn't get compiled. The
build/io/serial/ does get compiled. I'm sure I'm missing something
basic, but I can't figure out what it is.

@ 2008-06-11  6:55     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-06-11  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul J THACKER; +Cc: ecos-devel

> I added the code to packages/devs/serial/arm/cartesio/ - basically
> copied the AT91 code and modified it for my board.
>
> When I rebuild, the serial driver doesn't get compiled. The
> build/io/serial/ does get compiled. I'm sure I'm missing something
> basic, but I can't figure out what it is.

Take a look at CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES.

     Andrew

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-11 16:26       ` Paul J THACKER
From: Paul J THACKER @ 2008-06-11 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-devel

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> I added the code to packages/devs/serial/arm/cartesio/ - basically
>> copied the AT91 code and modified it for my board.
>>
>> When I rebuild, the serial driver doesn't get compiled. The
>> build/io/serial/ does get compiled. I'm sure I'm missing something
>> basic, but I can't figure out what it is.
>
> Take a look at CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES.
>
>      Andrew

I enabled Hardware Serial Device Drivers (CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES) in
configtool - no difference.

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-11 16:48         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-06-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul J THACKER; +Cc: ecos-devel

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:29:24AM -0700, Paul J THACKER wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> I added the code to packages/devs/serial/arm/cartesio/ - basically
>>> copied the AT91 code and modified it for my board.
>>>
>>> When I rebuild, the serial driver doesn't get compiled. The
>>> build/io/serial/ does get compiled. I'm sure I'm missing something
>>> basic, but I can't figure out what it is.
>>
>> Take a look at CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES.
>>
>>      Andrew
>
> I enabled Hardware Serial Device Drivers (CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES) in
> configtool - no difference.

So you need to look at your configuration and work out why your serial
driver package is not active.

eg the top of the AT91 driver has:

cdl_package CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_AT91 {
    display       "Atmel AT91 serial device drivers"

    parent        CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES
    active_if     CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL
    active_if     CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91

We know you have CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES enabled. Does your
configuration have CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL enabled? Does your package still
require CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91 which is not true for your hardware? Have
you made a typo in the name of the replacement?

Look at your ecos.ecc file. You can learn a lot from that.

    Andrew

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-11 17:32           ` Paul J THACKER
From: Paul J THACKER @ 2008-06-11 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-devel

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> So you need to look at your configuration and work out why your serial
> driver package is not active.
>
> eg the top of the AT91 driver has:
>
> cdl_package CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_AT91 {
>     display       "Atmel AT91 serial device drivers"
>
>     parent        CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES
>     active_if     CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL
>     active_if     CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91

cdl_package CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO {
     display       "Cartesio serial device drivers"

     parent        CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES
     active_if     CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL
     active_if     CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_CARTESIO

     requires      CYGPKG_ERROR
     include_dir   cyg/io
     include_files ; # none _exported_ whatsoever
     description   "
            This option enables the serial device drivers for the
            Cartesio."

     compile       -library=libextras.a   cartesio_serial.c

     define_proc {
         puts $::cdl_system_header "/***** serial driver proc output
start *****/"
         puts $::cdl_system_header "#define
CYGDAT_IO_SERIAL_DEVICE_HEADER <pkgconf/io_serial_arm_cartesio.h>"
         puts $::cdl_system_header "/*****  serial driver proc output
end  *****/"
     }

> We know you have CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES enabled. Does your
> configuration have CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL enabled?

Not sure how to tell. It doesn't say one way or the other in configtool.

Does your package still
> require CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91 which is not true for your hardware? Have
> you made a typo in the name of the replacement?

Don't think so. I've looked it over pretty carefully.

> Look at your ecos.ecc file. You can learn a lot from that.

Don't have an ecos.ecc. Do you mean ecos.db?

@ 2008-06-11 19:23             ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-06-11 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul J THACKER; +Cc: ecos-devel

>> We know you have CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES enabled. Does your
>> configuration have CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL enabled?
>
> Not sure how to tell. It doesn't say one way or the other in configtool.

That is why i recommended looking in the ecos.ecc file.

>> Look at your ecos.ecc file. You can learn a lot from that.
>
> Don't have an ecos.ecc. Do you mean ecos.db?

Nope. In your work directory. It might be named something else, but
similar, since you are using the configtool. ecosconfig always calls
is ecos.ecc by default.

   Andrew

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-11 21:21               ` Paul J THACKER
From: Paul J THACKER @ 2008-06-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-devel

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> We know you have CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES enabled. Does your
>>> configuration have CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL enabled?
>> Not sure how to tell. It doesn't say one way or the other in configtool.
>
> That is why i recommended looking in the ecos.ecc file.
>

>>> Look at your ecos.ecc file. You can learn a lot from that.
>> Don't have an ecos.ecc. Do you mean ecos.db?
>
> Nope. In your work directory. It might be named something else, but
> similar, since you are using the configtool. ecosconfig always calls
> is ecos.ecc by default.
>
>    Andrew

Ok, I found the ecc file. CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO wasn't there, so
I added it by hand. Now it shows up in configtool, but it's grayed out,
and still doesn't compile.

@ 2008-06-11 21:25                 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-06-11 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul J THACKER; +Cc: ecos-devel

> Ok, I found the ecc file. CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO wasn't there, so
> I added it by hand. Now it shows up in configtool, but it's grayed out,
> and still doesn't compile.

You should never need to add things by hand. If it is missing, it must
be because it is not part of you current configuration.

CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO is a hardware package? And you added it
to your CARTESIO target in the ecos.db?

Do an

ecosconfig export config.ecc

and send config.ecc.

    Andrew

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-11 21:29                   ` Paul J THACKER
From: Paul J THACKER @ 2008-06-11 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-devel

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Ok, I found the ecc file. CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO wasn't there, so
>> I added it by hand. Now it shows up in configtool, but it's grayed out,
>> and still doesn't compile.
>
> You should never need to add things by hand. If it is missing, it must
> be because it is not part of you current configuration.
>
> CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO is a hardware package? And you added it
> to your CARTESIO target in the ecos.db?
>
> Do an
>
> ecosconfig export config.ecc
>
> and send config.ecc.
>
>     Andrew

thackerp@cea05:~/cartesio/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages> ecosconfig export
config.ecc
ecos.ecc: error
     couldn't read file "ecos.ecc": no such file or directory
Invalid savefile "ecos.ecc".
1 error occurred while reading in the savefile data.

@ 2008-06-11 23:14                     ` Gary Thomas
       [not found]                       ` <48506034.30601@st.com>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-06-11 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul J THACKER; +Cc: ecos-devel

Paul J THACKER wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> Ok, I found the ecc file. CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO wasn't there,
>>> so  I added it by hand. Now it shows up in configtool, but it's
>>> grayed out,  and still doesn't compile.
>>
>> You should never need to add things by hand. If it is missing, it must
>> be because it is not part of you current configuration.
>>
>> CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_CARTESIO is a hardware package? And you added it
>> to your CARTESIO target in the ecos.db?
>>
>> Do an
>> ecosconfig export config.ecc
>> and send config.ecc.
>>
>>     Andrew
>
> thackerp@cea05:~/cartesio/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages> ecosconfig export
> config.ecc
> ecos.ecc: error
>     couldn't read file "ecos.ecc": no such file or directory
> Invalid savefile "ecos.ecc".
> 1 error occurred while reading in the savefile data.

Just send the .ecc file you said you found, or make sure you
are in the directory where it resides when you run 'ecosconfig'

@ 2008-06-11 23:34                         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-06-11 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul J THACKER; +Cc: ecos-devel

Paul J THACKER wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>> Paul J THACKER wrote:
>>> thackerp@cea05:~/cartesio/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages> ecosconfig export
>>> config.ecc
>>> ecos.ecc: error
>>>     couldn't read file "ecos.ecc": no such file or directory
>>> Invalid savefile "ecos.ecc".
>>> 1 error occurred while reading in the savefile data.
>>
>> Just send the .ecc file you said you found, or make sure you
>> are in the directory where it resides when you run 'ecosconfig'
>>

> It wasn't getting enabled due to:
>
>     # ActiveIf constraint: CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_CARTESIO
>     #     CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_ARM9_CARTESIO == v2_0
>     #   --> 1
>
> instead of
>
>     # ActiveIf constraint: CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_ARM9_CARTESIO
>     #     CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_ARM9_CARTESIO == v2_0
>     #   --> 1
>

> I finally got it to compile (or at least attempt to compile) when I
> configured in Wallclock Device.
>
> I've attached the ecc file in case you're still interested, or in case
> you see something else that needs to be fixed.

Looks like you just had a spelling error.

You're not really using version 2.0 are you?  It's now 6+ years old!
The best source tree is from CVS - using anything else is fraught
with trouble...

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-11 23:45                           ` Paul J THACKER
From: Paul J THACKER @ 2008-06-11 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-devel

Gary Thomas wrote:

> Looks like you just had a spelling error.
>
> You're not really using version 2.0 are you?  It's now 6+ years old!
> The best source tree is from CVS - using anything else is fraught
> with trouble...

Yes, but I had to correct it in the ecc file, which I've been told I
shouldn't have to mess with. But it's working anyway, so I'm happy.

Yes, I'm using 2.0. I can't get to CVS through our company firewall. I
could download it from home, but I don't really want to start over. In
case I end up doing that anyway, which version of gcc (ARM) are you
using now?

@ 2008-06-12 11:11                             ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-06-12 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul J THACKER; +Cc: ecos-devel

Paul J THACKER wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> Looks like you just had a spelling error.
>>
>> You're not really using version 2.0 are you?  It's now 6+ years old!
>> The best source tree is from CVS - using anything else is fraught
>> with trouble...
>>

> Yes, but I had to correct it in the ecc file, which I've been told I
> shouldn't have to mess with. But it's working anyway, so I'm happy.
>
> Yes, I'm using 2.0. I can't get to CVS through our company firewall. I
> could download it from home, but I don't really want to start over. In
> case I end up doing that anyway, which version of gcc (ARM) are you
> using now?

eCosCentric makes snapshots of the CVS tree which you should be
able to download.  As for the compiler, there's no need to change
from something that works.

The CVS tree is so vastly different from the old 2.0 release
that it makes it difficult for us to even discuss when you
have problems or questions.

* Re: How do I add a serial driver?
@ 2008-06-12 16:35                               ` Paul J THACKER
From: Paul J THACKER @ 2008-06-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-devel

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Paul J THACKER wrote:
>> Gary Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> You're not really using version 2.0 are you?  It's now 6+ years old!
>>> The best source tree is from CVS - using anything else is fraught
>>> with trouble...
>>>
>> Yes, I'm using 2.0. I can't get to CVS through our company firewall. I
>> could download it from home, but I don't really want to start over. In
>> case I end up doing that anyway, which version of gcc (ARM) are you
>> using now?
>
> eCosCentric makes snapshots of the CVS tree which you should be
> able to download.  As for the compiler, there's no need to change
> from something that works.
>
> The CVS tree is so vastly different from the old 2.0 release
> that it makes it difficult for us to even discuss when you
> have problems or questions.

Ok, thanks. I'll download the latest.