public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* USB testing - any more class drivers out there?
       [not found] <DD9BA4A07313441D93DE1AF867FCE3BB@Intrigue63>
@ 2009-05-26  9:15 ` Chris Holgate
From: Chris Holgate @ 2009-05-26  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaurang, ecos-devel

Hi Gaurang,

Gaurang wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>             I download ur USB support package for stm32,but I want to
> sample application  to check ur driver output?.
> I want transfer data using usb on stm32E-kit to pc(like hid).

The STM32 driver only provides the standard eCos USB API.  On top of
that you'll need to add a USB class driver such as the ones in io/usb.

At the moment, the only applicable one is the serial driver discussed here:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-devel/2009-05/msg00038.html

I don't know is Simon has had any luck getting it working, but if not
I'll try and put together a patch.

As far as HID support is concerned, eCos is currently a bit lacking in
USB class driver implementations.  You'll need to dig into the
documentation and roll your own.  I'm sure that any standard USB class
drivers you do develop would be more than welcome as contributions!

Chris.

[Posted to the list in case anyone knows of any HID class drivers
already in development].

* Re: USB testing - any more class drivers out there?
@ 2009-05-26  9:32   ` Simon Kallweit
From: Simon Kallweit @ 2009-05-26  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Holgate; +Cc: Gaurang, ecos-devel

Chris Holgate wrote:
> I don't know is Simon has had any luck getting it working, but if not
> I'll try and put together a patch.

Sorry, I didn't get it working. But this is more about lack of time and
priority than anything else. After you have started the discussion about
how to improve the USB slave framework I thought it may be good to wait
until we have a better picture and eventually change the USB slave API
before we adapt the serial driver. But I guess I'm not the only one
short on time :)

> As far as HID support is concerned, eCos is currently a bit lacking in
> USB class driver implementations.  You'll need to dig into the
> documentation and roll your own.  I'm sure that any standard USB class
> drivers you do develop would be more than welcome as contributions!

Agreed! If time permits I would like to dig into a standard compliant
ethernet over USB driver.

Simon

* Re: USB testing - any more class drivers out there?
@ 2009-05-26 19:04     ` Frank Pagliughi
From: Frank Pagliughi @ 2009-05-26 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Kallweit, Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Chris Holgate, Gaurang, ecos-devel

Simon Kallweit wrote:
> Chris Holgate wrote:
>> I don't know is Simon has had any luck getting it working, but if not
>> I'll try and put together a patch.
>
> Sorry, I didn't get it working. But this is more about lack of time
> and priority than anything else. After you have started the discussion
> about how to improve the USB slave framework I thought it may be good
> to wait until we have a better picture and eventually change the USB
> slave API before we adapt the serial driver. But I guess I'm not the
> only one short on time :)
>
>> As far as HID support is concerned, eCos is currently a bit lacking in
>> USB class driver implementations.  You'll need to dig into the
>> documentation and roll your own.  I'm sure that any standard USB class
>> drivers you do develop would be more than welcome as contributions!
>
> Agreed! If time permits I would like to dig into a standard compliant
> ethernet over USB driver.
>
> Simon

I had submit a USB printer package last summer which doesn't seem to
have made it into CVS. I'm pretty sure it was working.
Andrew: Do you remember why this wasn't accepted?

I also started a mass storage driver, and have it near the top of my
list for when I get back working on eCos this summer.

I personally never found much use for HID's - unless you're actually
making a mouse, keyboard, or joystick. I know that most introductory USB
articles and tutorials show how to implement HID's, but it seems such a
shame, because others classes, like the serial one, are actually simpler
and much more useful. So, I probably won't look to implement a HID
driver myself.

Nor do I think I would start on ethernet over USB myself.

Frank Pagliughi

* Eval board for testing STM32 USB
@ 2009-05-26 19:27     ` Frank Pagliughi
From: Frank Pagliughi @ 2009-05-26 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Kallweit; +Cc: Chris Holgate, ecos-devel

Hey Guys,

It seems like it would be worthwhile for me to get an SMT32 board to
test some new USB code. Make sure it works on a couple different
targets. Should I get the *STM3210E-EVAL board, or would an Olimex board
be better?

Thanks,
Frank

*

* Re: Eval board for testing STM32 USB
@ 2009-05-26 19:35       ` Simon Kallweit
From: Simon Kallweit @ 2009-05-26 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Pagliughi; +Cc: Chris Holgate, ecos-devel

Frank Pagliughi schrieb:
> Hey Guys,
>
> It seems like it would be worthwhile for me to get an SMT32 board to
> test some new USB code. Make sure it works on a couple different
> targets. Should I get the *STM3210E-EVAL board, or would an Olimex
> board be better?

I would get the STM3210E for now. It is what's currently supported so I
think we should build on that.

Simon

* Re: Eval board for testing STM32 USB
@ 2009-05-26 21:06         ` Chris Holgate
From: Chris Holgate @ 2009-05-26 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Kallweit; +Cc: Frank Pagliughi, ecos-devel

Simon Kallweit wrote:
> Frank Pagliughi schrieb:
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> It seems like it would be worthwhile for me to get an SMT32 board to
>> test some new USB code. Make sure it works on a couple different
>> targets. Should I get the *STM3210E-EVAL board, or would an Olimex
>> board be better?
>
> I would get the STM3210E for now. It is what's currently supported so I
> think we should build on that.

I second that - I did play around with the Olimex board a while back,
but the device they ship with is pretty limiting.  Plus the STM3210E
board has the external SRAM for debugging using Redboot/GDB.  That's
worth the extra money all on its own!

Chris.