public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* Announcement of eCos porting to Freescale Kinetis - Cortex-M4
@ 2010-12-07 21:24 Ilija Kocho
From: Ilija Kocho @ 2010-12-07 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos developers

Hi colleagues

We are announcing our work on eCos port to Fresscale's Kinetis Cortex-M4
controller family.
http://www.freescale.com/kinetis

The initial port shall consist of:
    - Kinetis Variant (with eventual Cortex-M architecture adjustments
if necessary);
    - TWR-K60N512 Platform;
    - Serial device driver (UART);
    - Ethernet driver (may come little bit later);

We shall contribute the port so I would ask for project registration.

Note: Since both Kinetis and Cortex-M4 are very fresh stuff it is hard
to promise dead-lines but our aim is to have it ready before Kinetis
begins shipping in quantities as regular production parts.

Best regards
Ilija Kocho

SIvA doo
ul. Zejnel Ajdini 5
MK-1060 Skopje
Macedonia

* Re: Announcement of eCos porting to Freescale Kinetis - Cortex-M4
@ 2010-12-08 15:43 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2010-12-08 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilija Kocho; +Cc: eCos developers

Hi Ilija

Ilija Kocho wrote:

> We are announcing our work on eCos port to Fresscale's Kinetis Cortex-M4
> controller family.
> http://www.freescale.com/kinetis
>
> The initial port shall consist of:
>     - Kinetis Variant (with eventual Cortex-M architecture adjustments
> if necessary);
>     - TWR-K60N512 Platform;
>     - Serial device driver (UART);
>     - Ethernet driver (may come little bit later);

That is excellent news, thank you for the notification. It would be
great if you could structure the variant package to accommodate future
support for the K10/K20/K30/K40 parts if and where this might be
appropriate.

> We shall contribute the port so I would ask for project registration.

Now added to the table:

  http://ecos.sourceware.org/contrib.html#registered

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer

* Re: Announcement of eCos porting to Freescale Kinetis - Cortex-M4
@ 2010-12-08 20:43   ` Ilija Kocho
From: Ilija Kocho @ 2010-12-08 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-devel

Hi John

On 08.12.2010 16:43, John Dallaway wrote:
> Hi Ilija
>
> Ilija Kocho wrote:
>
>> We are announcing our work on eCos port to Fresscale's Kinetis Cortex-M4
>> controller family.
>> http://www.freescale.com/kinetis
>>
>> The initial port shall consist of:
>>     - Kinetis Variant (with eventual Cortex-M architecture adjustments
>> if necessary);
>>     - TWR-K60N512 Platform;
>>     - Serial device driver (UART);
>>     - Ethernet driver (may come little bit later);
> That is excellent news, thank you for the notification. It would be
> great if you could structure the variant package to accommodate future
> support for the K10/K20/K30/K40 parts if and where this might be
> appropriate.

Many thanks for words of encouragement and for hints.
I haven't browsed manuals of all Kinetis members, but I'll aim for
having all under a single variant (if possible without too much clutter
in sources).
I haven't looked at the details of all family members but from
Freescale's overviews it seems that with exception of Segment Display
Controller K60 is superset of other devices. I hope (but can't promise)
to get everything under a single platform CDL.

>> We shall contribute the port so I would ask for project registration.
> Now added to the table:
>
>   http://ecos.sourceware.org/contrib.html#registered

Many thanks for registration.

Best regards