* [ECOS] eCos or redboot for Intel IXDP2400 (IXP 2400) NP board
@ 2003-04-18 16:51 Chip Boling
From: Chip Boling @ 2003-04-18 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Has anyone ported eCos over to the Intel IXDP2400 (IXP 2400 XScale)
development board?

I had noticed that Intel has V1_24 of redboot ported over and available (see
http://www.intel.com/design/network/swsup/bootmonitor.htm)  but I noticed
that the directory structure they used is a little different than what is
now available for the 2.0 beta 1 release.   The XScale support for eCos
looks pretty good and it should not be too difficult to add the IXDP2400 as
a target, but I would rather build upon and improve an existing
implementation rather than coming up with one from scratch.

    Cheers,

        Chip Boling

* Re: [ECOS] eCos or redboot for Intel IXDP2400 (IXP 2400) NP board
@ 2003-04-22 17:26 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-04-22 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chip Boling; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Chip Boling wrote:
> Has anyone ported eCos over to the Intel IXDP2400 (IXP 2400 XScale)
> development board?
>
> I had noticed that Intel has V1_24 of redboot ported over and available (see
> http://www.intel.com/design/network/swsup/bootmonitor.htm)  but I noticed
> that the directory structure they used is a little different than what is
> now available for the 2.0 beta 1 release.

They've munged it to suit themselves. No big deal, but it makes it even
less likely that anyone here will be able to help anyone who uses Intel
RedBoot ports - they'll be on their own.

I see that although they haven't mentioned RedBoot's licence in the readme
which is a bit of a shame but no big issue, they have at least not put
their own contradictory licence on the front this time ;-).

 >   The XScale support for eCos
> looks pretty good and it should not be too difficult to add the IXDP2400 as
> a target, but I would rather build upon and improve an existing
> implementation rather than coming up with one from scratch.

The Redboot port is a good start (although Intel have made several
customisations to generic sources that would have to be cleaned up before
it could ever be contributed to the main sources), and could be used as
the basis for an eCos port.

But integrating into the main code base would require Intel to contribute
it to the eCos project, and we have had some difficulty persuading them to
do this, even though they have assigned copyright to e.g. the Free
Software Foundation in the past for other projects. We'll try some other
routes to encourage them to do the right thing for the good of all, but
the best thing anyone out there can do is to ask Intel directly to
contribute back! There's nothing as good as a paying customer to influence
decisions :-).

Jifl