* RE: [ECOS] Porting on TMS320VC5472, eCos or uLinux ?
@ 2001-04-18 13:31 Michael Stilmant
From: Michael Stilmant @ 2001-04-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

mmmm, sorry but I can't find this now.
finally perhaps I've never read something like this directly.
Reading Redhat web site on ecos, I've never seen 'ecos is not linux' so when
I read doc on eCos I understand it's based somewhere on Linux. And Seeing
it's support ARM7 I understand it's implement uCLinux ....

The possibility to make mistake is big for me (perhaps because I'm note
english born) when I read this:

NetSilicon has partnered with Red Hat to integrate uClinux and Internet
application software with the NET+ARMT family of Ethernet microprocessors to
create a comprehensive solution for embedded Linux development.

So after read RedHat implement ecos and help NetSilicon to integrate uClinux
..... I finally perhaps understand Netsilicon help redhat to integrate
uClinux in ecos. :-)

Sorry , but thanks you for your answer.
I have a better view now.

* Re: [ECOS] Porting on TMS320VC5472, eCos or uLinux ?
@ 2001-04-18 12:10 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-18 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Stilmant; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Michael Stilmant wrote:

> Hello
>
> Following an mail sended last week but not answer, but it's certainly
> because no port yet.
>
> No problem with this. But actually I have an other fundamental question is
> eCos correct chose for my need or uClinux is a better choice. I read some
> where eCos include uClinux

If you know where it would be good because we keep hearing things like
that, and we would like to correct them.

>, but on RedHat site they keep a distinction
> between them.

eCos is unrelated to Linux. The only link between them is the EL/IX
compatibility levels ( http://sources.redhat.com/elix/ ) to allow *API*
level compatiblity between full-blown Linux and smaller operating systems,
e.g. eCos, uClinux, etc. by subsetting the API.

> And finaaly I have this big question : What is the difference, which OS I
> could better use ?
>
> Is somebody have some answers to this ?

It very much depends on the application you want to use. ucLinux is closer
to the Linux API, although a lot of that depends on the C library used.
eCos is more flexible, and configurable and has the potential to be much
smaller. There's probably more device driver support for ucLinux than is in
eCos. I'm not a uclinux expert though :-).

Jifl

* [ECOS] Porting on TMS320VC5472, eCos or uLinux ?
@ 2001-04-18 11:02 Michael Stilmant
From: Michael Stilmant @ 2001-04-18 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello

Following an mail sended last week but not answer, but it's certainly
because no port yet.

No problem with this. But actually I have an other fundamental question is
eCos correct chose for my need or uClinux is a better choice. I read some
where eCos include uClinux, but on RedHat site they keep a distinction
between them.

And finaaly I have this big question : What is the difference, which OS I
could better use ?

Is somebody have some answers to this ?

Thanks

Stilmant Michael.

hi,

I want to try porting eCos on my company board using the processor
TMS320VC5472 from Texas Instrument. Is there some people trying this port ?

Thanks you,

bye.

Stilmant Michael.

PS: The TMS320VC5472 is a Dual CPU processor intergrating a TMS320C54x DSP

and an ARM7TDMI RISC MCU + some stuff like serial ports, DMA controler

Ethernet Dual-Port ,...