* [ECOS] Downloaded image of Redboot  Not Working
@ 2002-10-26 20:29 Vikram  Mehta
From: Vikram  Mehta @ 2002-10-26 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I have downloaded Redboot.uu nad Redboot.img from the site given
here.
I followed the indtructions as given, to install Redboot
I use the Hyperterminal Utility to download the E7t
Two things

1.)Size shown of Installed Redboot on E7t is 37380 and that shown
in documentation is  41960
2.) More importantly, The Redboot is not working as it should .I
donot get a REdboot CLI, only jumbled characters and commands
given in the Documnetation sre not working.
Infact A typical behaviour is that Keyboard KEys are not being
echoed proeprly, E.g. when a is typed ,it is echoed back as 'q' or
'y' etc.
What should I do.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 Jonathan Larmour wrote :
>Vikram Mehta wrote:
>>hi,
>>First of all thanx to Jonathan Larmour for ur response.
>>
>>I am downloading RED BOOT.
>>What is ROMRAM Stratup. I tried to search the net. But found
>>nothing.  From where can I get to know more abt it
>
>ROMRAM startup is where the program initially starts in ROM and
>pretty
>much straight away copies itself to RAM and runs from there.
>Other ARM
>HALs support it, just not the E7T yet. To add it, at a minimum
>you need to add a new memory startup type, different from ROM or
>RAM.
>
>The best way to find out about it is to look at other HALs. The
>ebsa285, edb7xxx, at91 and integrator HALs all support it. Search
>those for "ROMRAM" and look at their ROMRAM memory layouts (in
>the include/pkgconf subdirectories of their packages).
>
>Once you see what's required for them, you would then know what
>to add to the E7T HAL.
>
>>And Any Ideas on Changing ROMC0N0 not working on BSL.
>>Wll it work on RedBoot. This was my second question that day
>
>I have no idea, sorry. I don't know anything about BSL.
>
>Jifl
>-- eCosCentric       http://www.eCosCentric.com/
><info@eCosCentric.com>
>--[ "You can complain because roses have thorns, or you ]--
>--[  can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln   ]--
>Opinions==mine

* Re: [ECOS] Downloaded image of Redboot  Not Working
@ 2002-10-26 20:36 ` NavEcos
From: NavEcos @ 2002-10-26 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vikram Mehta, ecos-discuss

On Saturday 26 October 2002 08:31 pm, Vikram Mehta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded Redboot.uu nad Redboot.img from the site given
> here.
> I followed the indtructions as given, to install Redboot
> I use the Hyperterminal Utility to download the E7t
> Two things
>
> 1.)Size shown of Installed Redboot on E7t is 37380 and that shown
> in documentation is  41960
> 2.) More importantly, The Redboot is not working as it should .I
> donot get a REdboot CLI, only jumbled characters and commands
> given in the Documnetation sre not working.
> Infact A typical behaviour is that Keyboard KEys are not being
> echoed proeprly, E.g. when a is typed ,it is echoed back as 'q' or
> 'y' etc.
> What should I do.

This may be obvious, but check your baud rate and your cable connection
to the serial port.  It sounds as if you simply have the wrong baud rate.

-Rich

@ 2002-10-27  2:58 ` Chris Garry
From: Chris Garry @ 2002-10-27  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vikram  Mehta, ecos-discuss

I had trouble getting Redboot working on the E7T at first.  The problem
was that I could not work out how to just download the Redboot image
to the board using HyperTerminal - I tried all options but nothing worked.

In the end I got another terminal program (Tera Term) and all the problems
went away.

FYI: The straight-through cable supplied with the E7T board is correct,
and your serial port should be set to 38400 N 8.

--
Chris

> I have downloaded Redboot.uu nad Redboot.img from the site given
> here.
> I followed the indtructions as given, to install Redboot
> I use the Hyperterminal Utility to download the E7t
> Two things
>
> 1.)Size shown of Installed Redboot on E7t is 37380 and that shown
> in documentation is  41960
> 2.) More importantly, The Redboot is not working as it should .I
> donot get a REdboot CLI, only jumbled characters and commands
> given in the Documnetation sre not working.
> Infact A typical behaviour is that Keyboard KEys are not being
> echoed proeprly, E.g. when a is typed ,it is echoed back as 'q' or
> 'y' etc.
> What should I do.

* [ECOS] Cygwin problem building (again) - newbie
@ 2002-10-27  6:25   ` Sérgio Duarte e Silva
From: Sérgio Duarte e Silva @ 2002-10-27  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi everyone,

I sent some questions last week about my MPC555 build and now I am trying it
again, so... I had the following error when compiling the binutils:

-------
$ /src/binutils/binutils-2.13/configure --target=powerpc-eabi \
> --prefix=/tools \
> --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin \
> -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
Configuring for a i686-pc-cygwin host.
Created "Makefile" in /tmp/build/binutils using "mh-frag"
cc: not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
-------

What is needed to install CC?
I made a search for  " *** You must set the environment variable CC to a
working compiler." and I found this solution:

ln cc.exe gcc.exe

(in /bin)
It doesnt work for me. But this:

ln gcc.exe cc.exe

works and now I have this output (after a LOT of warnings):

/src/binutils/binutils-2.13/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:4869: warning: passing arg
2 o
f `memcpy' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
make[1]: *** [cplus-dem.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/binutils/libiberty'
make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/binutils'

I downloaded cygwin using the cygwin setup from www.cygwin.com, and I
instaled these packages:
gcc: C, C++, Fortran compilers
gcc-mingw: Mingw32
gcc2: Version2.95.3 of C,C++, Fortran
gdb

and some other packages. So.. I have a compiler but I am doing something
wrong.
Does anyone here knows how to solve this problem? Is this something related
with libs?
Thanks in advance,

Sérgio Duarte e Silva
www.mlap.de

* Re: [ECOS] Cygwin problem building (again) - newbie
@ 2002-10-28  8:07     ` Bob Koninckx
From: Bob Koninckx @ 2002-10-28  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sérgio Duarte e Silva; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Sergio,

I never used windows for eCos related stuff, so I am not sure if I will
be able to help you, but, I noticed the following on

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/getstart.html

"The eCos net distribution is available in both Linux and Windows
versions. The Linux version has been tested under Red Hat Linux 6.1 (and
later releases) for x86 but should work under most Linux variants. The
Windows version has been tested under Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and also
works under Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows 2000. However, please
note that although successes have been reported, building the eCos
development tools under Windows 95 or Windows 98 has been found to be
unreliable, and we recommend avoiding building the development tools on
these systems if possible."

Maybe that's the key to your problem?

instead of making cc a link to gcc, consider the following at the bash
prompt.

export CC=gcc

I also noticed that you have lots of compilers installed. MingW32, you
probably don't need as it is intended to be used without cygwin. You
probably dont want to mix gcc 2.95.3 with a 3.x version either. Which
one is preferred for building the crosscompiler under cygwin, I don't
know.

Which warnings did you get? If you got a LOT of them, something is
certainly wrong.

Regards,
Bob

> Hi everyone,
>
> I sent some questions last week about my MPC555 build and now I am trying it
> again, so... I had the following error when compiling the binutils:

> -------
> $ /src/binutils/binutils-2.13/configure --target=powerpc-eabi \
> > --prefix=/tools \
> > --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin \
> > -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
> Configuring for a i686-pc-cygwin host.
> Created "Makefile" in /tmp/build/binutils using "mh-frag"
> cc: not found
> *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
> -------
>

> What is needed to install CC?
> I made a search for  " *** You must set the environment variable CC to a
> working compiler." and I found this solution:
>
> ln cc.exe gcc.exe
>
> (in /bin)
> It doesnt work for me. But this:
>
> ln gcc.exe cc.exe
>
> works and now I have this output (after a LOT of warnings):

> /src/binutils/binutils-2.13/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:4869: warning: passing arg
> 2 o
> f `memcpy' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> make[1]: *** [cplus-dem.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/binutils/libiberty'
> make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2
> make: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/binutils'
>
> I downloaded cygwin using the cygwin setup from www.cygwin.com, and I
> instaled these packages:
> gcc: C, C++, Fortran compilers
> gcc-mingw: Mingw32
> gcc2: Version2.95.3 of C,C++, Fortran
> gdb
>
> and some other packages. So.. I have a compiler but I am doing something
> wrong.
> Does anyone here knows how to solve this problem? Is this something related
> with libs?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sérgio Duarte e Silva
> www.mlap.de
>

> --
ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma

* [ECOS] Bewildered.
@ 2002-10-28  8:51       ` Warren Postma
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Postma @ 2002-10-28  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I'm getting a little bewildered trying to get going on eCos on a BSE
nanoEngine (strongArm). I have a few general-level questions about which way
I should go.

1.  Which version of eCos should I be using? Should I stick with 1.3.1 or
should I get latest CVS stuff?

2. If I go with the latest cvs stuff, should I bother with the GUI
configuration kernel tool or just go command line to get a gdb stub built?

3. Is my first goal to get a gdb stub working? What would I be trying to
build first?

Regards,

Warren Postma

* RE: [ECOS] Bewildered.
@ 2002-10-28  8:58         ` Ajay Dudani
From: Ajay Dudani @ 2002-10-28  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Warren Postma', ecos-discuss

1. Get the latest one from CVS or www.ecoscentric.com
2. It should not matter.  If you use the GUI tool, use the latest one.
Version 2.11 works fine for me.
3. In my opinion, get Redboot installed permanently.  Red the RedBoot
users guide on how to do that.

Ajay Dudani

     I'm getting a little bewildered trying to get going on eCos on a
BSE
     nanoEngine (strongArm). I have a few general-level questions about
     which way
     I should go.

     1.  Which version of eCos should I be using? Should I stick with
1.3.1
     or
     should I get latest CVS stuff?

     2. If I go with the latest cvs stuff, should I bother with the GUI
     configuration kernel tool or just go command line to get a gdb stub
     built?

     3. Is my first goal to get a gdb stub working? What would I be
trying
     build first?

     Regards,

     Warren Postma

     --
     Before posting, please read the FAQ:
http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos

* Re: [ECOS] Bewildered.
@ 2002-10-28  9:00         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-28  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Postma; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 09:51, Warren Postma wrote:
> I'm getting a little bewildered trying to get going on eCos on a BSE
> nanoEngine (strongArm). I have a few general-level questions about which way
> I should go.
>
> 1.  Which version of eCos should I be using? Should I stick with 1.3.1 or
> should I get latest CVS stuff?

Absolutely do not use 1.3.1 - the support for nano isn't even it it.
Get the latest CVS or a snapshot (the same thing, really)

> 2. If I go with the latest cvs stuff, should I bother with the GUI
> configuration kernel tool or just go command line to get a gdb stub built?

Either work just as well.  I prefer the command line version, but it's
truly just a personal preference.

> 3. Is my first goal to get a gdb stub working? What would I be trying to
> build first?

You might be better off getting RedBoot running, since that's the
configuration we tested most.
  % ecosconfig new nano redboot
  % ecosconfig import ${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/arm/sa11x0/nano/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm
(or use redboot_POST.ecm - read the "readme" file)
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |

* Re: [ECOS] Bewildered.
@ 2002-10-28  9:03         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2002-10-28  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Postma; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 11:51:57AM -0500, Warren Postma wrote:
> I'm getting a little bewildered trying to get going on eCos on a BSE
> nanoEngine (strongArm). I have a few general-level questions about which way
> I should go.
>
> 1.  Which version of eCos should I be using? Should I stick with 1.3.1 or
> should I get latest CVS stuff?

Always the latest CVS. 1.3.1 is more than two years old now....

> 2. If I go with the latest cvs stuff, should I bother with the GUI
> configuration kernel tool or just go command line to get a gdb stub built?

Personal choice. I dislike GUIs in general and find the command line
tools easy to use.

> 3. Is my first goal to get a gdb stub working? What would I be trying to
> build first?

This is a supported platform as far as i know.

So, first you probably need to build the CLI tools, ecosconfig.

Then build redboot. The documentation in CVS include this board. Have
a look at http://www.vsr.si/ecos to see the documentation in html or
pdf format. Section IX.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Bewildered.
@ 2002-10-28 10:21           ` Holger Schurig
From: Holger Schurig @ 2002-10-28 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn, Warren Postma; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Always the latest CVS. 1.3.1 is more than two years old now....

Looks like the home page should get a fat, big, red warning. So that not so
many people ask this again and again :-)

* Re: [ECOS] Bewildered.
@ 2002-10-28 10:24             ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-28 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Schurig; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, Warren Postma, eCos Discussion

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 10:46, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > Always the latest CVS. 1.3.1 is more than two years old now....
>
> Looks like the home page should get a fat, big, red warning. So that not so
> many people ask this again and again :-)

We are working on this [quietly, behind the scenes].  Sadly,
we have to tread lightly in dealing with the web-site.