* Re: [ECOS] How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
@ 2001-08-12 18:46 cguwinds
From: cguwinds @ 2001-08-12 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> cguwinds wrote:
> >
> > How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
> > My linux system is under x86.
> > Are there any document to describe it?
>
> Yes. http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/
>
> Jifl

Ok,I see.
I've already download the document,but I can't find which document mention about booting from floppy.
I search the key word "floppy" under "ecos-ref.pdf","cdl-guide.pdf"
,"ecos-tutorial-i386PC.pdf" and "user-guides.pdf",
but I can't find any document that describe about booting from floppy .
Could you tell me which document that I should  use?
Or search by which keywords?
thank's.

----== Mailed via Openfind ==-----
http://mail2000.com.tw/ ´£¨Ñ§K¶O¹q¤l¶l¥ó«H½c

* Re: [ECOS] How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
@ 2001-08-12 19:43 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-12 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cguwinds; +Cc: ecos-discuss

cguwinds wrote:
> > cguwinds wrote:
> > > How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
> >
> > Yes. http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/
>
> Ok,I see.
> I've already download the document,but I can't find which document mention about booting from floppy.
> I search the key word "floppy" under "ecos-ref.pdf","cdl-guide.pdf"
> ,"ecos-tutorial-i386PC.pdf" and "user-guides.pdf",
> but I can't find any document that describe about booting from floppy .
> Could you tell me which document that I should  use?

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/x86pc.html for writing a
RedBoot image to a floppy (you can get prebuilt ones off of
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/boards/pcmobo.html or you can build your
own).

For your own programs, while it is preferable to load via RedBoot at first,
later you can write your programs directly to floppy by just reconfiguring
eCos for FLOPPY startup and writing your program in binary format to floppy
in the same way as redboot.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
@ 2001-08-12 20:05   ` survey liu
From: survey liu @ 2001-08-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > I've already download the document,but I can't find which document mention about booting from floppy.
> > I search the key word "floppy" under "ecos-ref.pdf","cdl-guide.pdf"
> > ,"ecos-tutorial-i386PC.pdf" and "user-guides.pdf",
> > but I can't find any document that describe about booting from floppy .
> > Could you tell me which document that I should  use?
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/x86pc.html for writing a
> RedBoot image to a floppy (you can get prebuilt ones off of
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/boards/pcmobo.html or you can build your
> own).
>
> For your own programs, while it is preferable to load via RedBoot at first,
> later you can write your programs directly to floppy by just reconfiguring
> eCos for FLOPPY startup and writing your program in binary format to floppy
> in the same way as redboot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!~~~ For x86, the startup field can only be configured to RAM,
                                                      I don't know why. (It is said on the short description plane while select the startup field)

> Jifl
> --
> Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223) 271062
> Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley || Opinions==mine

Best regards,
Survey Liu
liuxw@263.net
+86-755-6635333 ext 4300

* Re: [ECOS] How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
@ 2001-08-12 20:26     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: survey liu; +Cc: ecos-discuss

survey liu wrote:
> For x86, the startup field can only be configured to RAM,
>                                                       I don't know why. (It is said on the short description plane while select the startup field)

It's lying. You can change it anyway. I'll fix the description.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
@ 2001-08-12 23:33   ` survey liu
From: survey liu @ 2001-08-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi,Jifl

> For your own programs, while it is preferable to load via RedBoot at first,
> later you can write your programs directly to floppy by just reconfiguring
> eCos for FLOPPY startup and writing your program in binary format to floppy
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^----> But which program can be write to my floppy to boot the system?
                                                   :  I select startup from floppy,and buid the library, then I open the shell and go to make
                                                   : my hello program in the examples dir. I get a hello.exe, then I write the hello.exe to the
                                                   : floppy disk using "dd", but it does not work totally.

@ 2001-08-08  6:36 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-08  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cguwinds; +Cc: ecos-discuss

cguwinds wrote:

> How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
> My linux system is under x86.
> Are there any document to describe it?

Yes. http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/

> Does it need to use RedBoot?

RedBoot boots from floppy, and can be used in turn load programs other
serial or ethernet. Or programs can be written straight to floppy.

Jifl

* [ECOS] How to boot from floppy by using eCos?
@ 2001-08-07 21:53 cguwinds
From: cguwinds @ 2001-08-07 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss