* [ECOS] RedBoot/Basic test working... context not?
@ 2005-07-21 13:35 Stefan Sommerfeld
From: Stefan Sommerfeld @ 2005-07-21 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I'm using a  XScale SO-DIMM module (Ka-Ro Triton270) and moving from the
development board to the destination plattform. If I run 'basic' or 'cache'
test on the destination plattform, it works, but context does not. I guess
context switching doesn't work, but i wonder what is the cause of this.
What is needed for context switching? I would think it's only timer/cpu
related stuff, so there couldn't be any influence from GPIO's.

Any hints why context switch doesn't work?

Bye...

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot/Basic test working... context not?
@ 2005-07-21 17:03 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-07-21 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Sommerfeld; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 03:35:03PM +0200, Stefan Sommerfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a  XScale SO-DIMM module (Ka-Ro Triton270) and moving from the
> development board to the destination plattform. If I run 'basic' or 'cache'
> test on the destination plattform, it works, but context does not. I guess
> context switching doesn't work, but i wonder what is the cause of this.
> What is needed for context switching? I would think it's only timer/cpu
> related stuff, so there couldn't be any influence from GPIO's.
>
> Any hints why context switch doesn't work?

What do you mean by doesn't work? Does it give an error message? Does
an assert fail? Send out smoke signals as the SO-DIMM modules melts?

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot/Basic test working... context not?
@ 2005-07-21 17:14   ` Stefan Sommerfeld
From: Stefan Sommerfeld @ 2005-07-21 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

>> I'm using a  XScale SO-DIMM module (Ka-Ro Triton270) and moving from the
>> development board to the destination plattform. If I run 'basic' or
>> 'cache'
>> test on the destination plattform, it works, but context does not. I
>> guess
>> context switching doesn't work, but i wonder what is the cause of this.
>> What is needed for context switching? I would think it's only timer/cpu
>> related stuff, so there couldn't be any influence from GPIO's.
>>
>> Any hints why context switch doesn't work?
>
> What do you mean by doesn't work? Does it give an error message? Does
> an assert fail? Send out smoke signals as the SO-DIMM modules melts?

I added some debug output and found the position where it stops:

 HAL_THREAD_LOAD_CONTEXT( &sp[0] );

'context' executes this macro and stopped working (no output anymore).
There's also no output from entry0. I sure it's some hardware influence,
but why does the threading doesn't work?

@ 2005-07-21 17:19     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-07-21 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Sommerfeld; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 19:12 +0200, Stefan Sommerfeld wrote:
> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm using a  XScale SO-DIMM module (Ka-Ro Triton270) and moving from the
> >> development board to the destination plattform. If I run 'basic' or
> >> 'cache'
> >> test on the destination plattform, it works, but context does not. I
> >> guess
> >> context switching doesn't work, but i wonder what is the cause of this.
> >> What is needed for context switching? I would think it's only timer/cpu
> >> related stuff, so there couldn't be any influence from GPIO's.
> >>
> >> Any hints why context switch doesn't work?
> >
> > What do you mean by doesn't work? Does it give an error message? Does
> > an assert fail? Send out smoke signals as the SO-DIMM modules melts?
>
> I added some debug output and found the position where it stops:
>
>  HAL_THREAD_LOAD_CONTEXT( &sp[0] );
>
> 'context' executes this macro and stopped working (no output anymore).
> There's also no output from entry0. I sure it's some hardware influence,
> but why does the threading doesn't work?

Because this is much more complicated than the tests that you've
already run!  The biggest difference is that interrupts are normally
enabled as part of the change of context.  If you've got some I/O
misconfigured (based on your query about GPIO), this could be the
problem.

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot/Basic test working... context not?
@ 2005-07-21 17:41       ` Stefan Sommerfeld
From: Stefan Sommerfeld @ 2005-07-21 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

>> > What do you mean by doesn't work? Does it give an error message? Does
>> > an assert fail? Send out smoke signals as the SO-DIMM modules melts?
>>
>> I added some debug output and found the position where it stops:
>>
>>  HAL_THREAD_LOAD_CONTEXT( &sp[0] );
>>
>> 'context' executes this macro and stopped working (no output anymore).
>> There's also no output from entry0. I sure it's some hardware influence,
>> but why does the threading doesn't work?
>
> Because this is much more complicated than the tests that you've
> already run!  The biggest difference is that interrupts are normally
> enabled as part of the change of context.  If you've got some I/O
> misconfigured (based on your query about GPIO), this could be the
> problem.

I agress with you, it sounds like an IRQ problem due to incorrect GPIO
config, but why does the program start work and the new threads not. Event
a program with a main() function doesn't work. Some test are working, like
thread0 or intr0, others not like thread1. Is there a test where i can come
a little closer to the problem?

@ 2005-07-22 21:05         ` Stefan Sommerfeld
From: Stefan Sommerfeld @ 2005-07-22 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

found it. It was a pending GPIO edge detect IRQ. The LOAD_CONTEXT activated
the IRQ's and crashed the system.

Bye...