* [ECOS] RealTek 8139 Redboot i386
@ 2002-10-28  1:14 Vijai Krishnamurthy
From: Vijai Krishnamurthy @ 2002-10-28  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I'm a newbie to eCos....need some help here.

I'm trying to bring up a i386 target booting from a Redboot floppy with
network support.
I used Chris Paulson's Realtek 8139 driver and followed the instructions for
the ecos config.

Once I boot the target I get this message and the machine just hangs:

DP83902A eeprom: ESA: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

I suppose this error message has got to do with the MAC address reading
(correct me if I'm wrong). Now do I have to set the hw address manually? If
yes where? Most of the other network drivers do have the option of setting
the address manually but not the realtek one.
Am I missing out something here?...may be somehting got to do with ISA vs
ESA??

Help in this regard would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Vijai

* Re: [ECOS] RealTek 8139 Redboot i386
@ 2002-10-28  1:40 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-10-28  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijai Krishnamurthy, ecos-discuss

On Monday 28 October 2002 10:19, Vijai Krishnamurthy wrote:
> I'm a newbie to eCos....need some help here.
>
> I'm trying to bring up a i386 target booting from a Redboot floppy with
> network support.
> I used Chris Paulson's Realtek 8139 driver and followed the instructions
> for the ecos config.
>
> Once I boot the target I get this message and the machine just hangs:
>
> DP83902A eeprom: ESA: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

DP83902A is software compatible with Realtek 8039AS (essentially an NE2000).
I don't believe that a driver written for an DP80902A could work with an
8139.  That one requires a dedicated driver, that's the way it's done in
other OS-es (Linux, FreeBSD).

Regards
iz

* Re: [ECOS] RealTek 8139 Redboot i386
@ 2002-10-28  3:06 ` Chris Paulson-Ellis
From: Chris Paulson-Ellis @ 2002-10-28  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijai Krishnamurthy, ecos-discuss

Hi,

The driver on www.edesix.com/ecos is for the 8019AS ISA chip, not the 8139
PCI chip.

We recently had a customer who wanted us to write a 8139 driver, which would
have been contributed, but they baulked at the (very reasonable) cost. If
someone else wants to pay for it, please drop us a line.

Chris.

@ 2002-11-04 21:52   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-11-04 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Paulson-Ellis; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Chris Paulson-Ellis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The driver on www.edesix.com/ecos is for the 8019AS ISA chip, not the 8139
> PCI chip.

Oh, is there any chance you could fill in a proper assignment form? We
can't just go on "Redhat can consider the copyright on my changes as
having been assigned to them, as far as I'm concerned." unfortunately,
nice and easy though that would be!

Your changes to if_dp83902a.c should be alright without an assignment. Any
chance of submitting that (with ChangeLog possibly?) to
ecos-patches@sources.redhat.com? That would also be excellent. Although I
don't know where BIGENDIAN gets defined. I assume that should be
CYG_BYTEORDER == CYG_MSBFIRST.

Jifl