* [ECOS] 802.11
@ 2001-04-09  7:32 Nick - eCos Developer
From: Nick - eCos Developer @ 2001-04-09  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ecos - Discuss

Has anyone given any thought to putting an 802.11 chip set on a board and
using eCos to drive it?

* RE: [ECOS] 802.11
@ 2001-04-09 18:36 ` Jason Lin
From: Jason Lin @ 2001-04-09 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick - eCos Developer, Ecos - Discuss

My current project is to use eCos as the RTOS running the MAC application of
the 802.11a card. We are only at the beginning stage of development.

@ 2001-04-10  8:23   ` Nick - eCos Developer
From: Nick - eCos Developer @ 2001-04-10  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ecos - Discuss; +Cc: Jason Lin

Are you going to integrate that code with the network support in ecos so
that an ecos application can have wireless tcp/ip? Probably not, right?

> My current project is to use eCos as the RTOS running the MAC application
of
> the 802.11a card. We are only at the beginning stage of development.

* Re: [ECOS] 802.11
@ 2001-04-10 14:28     ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-10 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick - eCos Developer, Ecos - Discuss

>Are you going to integrate that code with the network support in ecos so
>that an ecos application can have wireless tcp/ip? Probably not, right?

Isn't it easier to work with one of the PCMCIA 802.11/b implementations? We
didn't want to cope with the RF eng complications, so that's the route we
chose.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] 802.11
@ 2001-04-11  6:22       ` Nick - eCos Developer
From: Nick - eCos Developer @ 2001-04-11  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ecos - Discuss; +Cc: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

It might be easier, but not cheaper. You would still have to port a driver
of some sort to eCos, right?

We were looking at BlueTooth, but now it seems that 802.11 would be more
accepted and provide better functionality.

From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-11  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick - eCos Developer, Ecos - Discuss

>It might be easier, but not cheaper. You would still have to port a driver
>of some sort to eCos, right?

Yes, but my understanding is that from the host end it looks like an
ethernet card, so there is little/nothing 802.11b specific on the host and
I think it would be easier to write the driver. I understand that all or
most of the 802.11b cards are supported by Linux and (license permitting)
it might be possible to port those drivers to eCos, or at least use them
for information that might be tough to extract from the card manufacturers.

>We were looking at BlueTooth, but now it seems that 802.11 would be more
>accepted and provide better functionality.

My knowledge is far from complete, but these protocols originally seem to
cater for different markets; 802.11(b) being a wireless extension of your
wired LAN, and Bluetooth being intended as a low-bandwidth, short-range
protocol intended for applications that might otherwise be implemented with
IR, but which want to take advantage of the non-line-of-sight nature of RF.

Like I say, I don't know much about it (networking in general is not my
field). Our decision to go PCMCIA was motivated by a number of factors, one
of them being that as long as we have working PCMCIA hardware in there, we
don't have to write the 802.11b drivers until we officially start marketing
the feature. So we can "ship now, write later".

Another good benefit is that if we want to make 802.11b optional, we don't
have to make any proprietary modules. There are space benefits too. Plus we
can use the entire working RF frontend and antenna supplied by the PCMCIA
card manufacturer; substantial design time saved. And we can support other
WLAN protocols if necessary (there are at least two major competitors, and
no clear leader, so it's a good place to hedge bets...)

@ 2006-02-03 21:36 Real Time
From: Real Time @ 2006-02-03 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 13:37:07 -0800 (PST)
>   From: mkhoyila@uci.edu
> To: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
> Subject: [ECOS] 802.11
>
> Can I just port my 802.11 chip’s 802.11 driver
> (fBroadcom chip and its
> driver) to eCos like an Ethernet driver and use eCos
> RTOS stack send and receive packets?

I am not familiar with the broadcom chip but I believe
it should work. I used the same trick to add wireless
support (prism2 chipset) to both RedBoot and eCos.

* [ECOS] 802.11
@ 2006-02-01 21:35 mkhoyila
From: mkhoyila @ 2006-02-01 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I have a project that requires 802.11 connectivity. Has anyone developed
driver for 802.11 and used eCos TCP/IP to send/receive packets wireless
to/from target device?

Can I just port my 802.11 chipÂ’s 802.11 driver (fBroadcom chip and its
driver) to eCos like an Ethernet driver and use eCos RTOS stack send and
receive packets? Thanks

Michael

* RE: [ECOS] 802.11
@ 2001-04-10 18:14   ` Jason Lin
From: Jason Lin @ 2001-04-10 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick - eCos Developer, Ecos - Discuss; +Cc: Dan Conti

This project of mine is not going to be a standalone device, the final
product will be a PCMCIA/CardBus Card for portables. I believe the TCP/IP
network support will come from the Linux host side. BTW we are developing
our own chipset with FPGA and the final version will be put into ASIC.

Just curious if eCos will be port over to Leon architecture? We are thinking
of using this free source architecture in the final version. Currently we
will use arm7tdmi(Integrator eval board) for prototying.

I'm pretty sure when the chip is out we'll make the MAC code open-source.

From: Nick - eCos Developer @ 2001-04-09 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ecos - Discuss; +Cc: Dan Conti