* [ECOS] ecos vmWare
@ 2002-10-29  1:50 Vijai Krishnamurthy
From: Vijai Krishnamurthy @ 2002-10-29  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I'm trying to boot Redboot in VmWare on Win NT.

I followed all the instructions as in
http://www.vsr.si/ecos/patches/vmWare-net.html.

I did overcome the first "NOT IMPLEMENTED" error by removing all IDEs from
the vm as instructed
in the above web-page. But I ended up with a second vmWare crash with
another "NOT IMPLEMENTED" panic.

Has anyone tried this on Win NT vmWare?? Is the problem, I'm facing,
something specific to windows vmWare??

Timely guidance is appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Vijai

* Re: [ECOS] ecos vmWare
@ 2002-10-29  2:54 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-10-29  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijai Krishnamurthy, ecos-discuss

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 10:55, Vijai Krishnamurthy wrote:
> I'm trying to boot Redboot in VmWare on Win NT.
>
> I followed all the instructions as in
> http://www.vsr.si/ecos/patches/vmWare-net.html.
>
> I did overcome the first "NOT IMPLEMENTED" error by removing all IDEs from
> the vm as instructed
> in the above web-page. But I ended up with a second vmWare crash with
> another "NOT IMPLEMENTED" panic.
>
> Has anyone tried this on Win NT vmWare?? Is the problem, I'm facing,
> something specific to windows vmWare??

The reason could be in the Host OS diffrence or simply in VMware version. I
tested RedBoot end the eCos kernel and networking only on VMware 3.0 and 3.1
version for Linux. The Guest OS type in the VM was always set to "other".

Can You try to boot one of the prebuilt RedBoot floppies from the above URL
and see if the VM panics?

You can try to remove the serial and network devices one by one from the VM
and see if it panics. The NOT IMPLEMENTED features of wmWare are mostly CPU
and IO related.

Regards
Iztok

* RE: [ECOS] ecos vmWare
@ 2002-10-29  6:24   ` Vijai Krishnamurthy
From: Vijai Krishnamurthy @ 2002-10-29  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iztok.zupet, ecos-discuss

Well the prebuilt loads too did not work on WinNT VmWare 2.0.1
Anyway I migrated to vmWare 3.1 on Linux. Everything's fine now.
Thanks a lot!

Vijai

@ 2002-10-29 10:30     ` David N. Welton
From: David N. Welton @ 2002-10-29 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijai Krishnamurthy; +Cc: iztok.zupet, ecos-discuss

By the way - should it be of interest - I am able to run eCos just
fine on the 'bochs' x86 emulator.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

* Re: [ECOS] ecos vmWare
@ 2002-10-29 14:59       ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2002-10-29 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijai Krishnamurthy, David N. Welton; +Cc: iztok.zupet, ecos-discuss

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Check the archives, or even mine. <G!> It happens that I proposed the use
the 'bochs' x86 emulator sometime ago. They did me the favor of fixing most
of the error messages that the bochs emulator kept grinching about, in the
earlier versions, (This is on 1.4.1 and the contents of CVS from about
September.). So, ah, David, since I can't rightly ask for money, since the
program is licensed as a free product, how about we work out a deal over
coffee and pasteries sometime soon?
Gregg C Levine drwho8@worldnet.att.net
"Oh my!" The Second Doctor's nearly favorite phrase.