* Re: [ECOS] Adding Ethernet support for Redboot on the E7T
       [not found] <01d101c16cf1$5cb0e6e0$0200a8c0@impacct.com.tw>
@ 2001-11-06 10:35 ` Chris Garry
From: Chris Garry @ 2001-11-06 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon; +Cc: ecos-discuss

--- Simon <simoncc@ms46.url.com.tw> wrote:
> I think using redboot via serial is better solution and I
> do not recommand doing that via ethernet.
> 'Cause it's a little bit complex to set up the development
> environment.
> And it's a little bit strange behavior appeared on redboot
> I ever found.
> So serial port is nice and enough.
>
> Simon

Thanks for that Simon.

What does everyone else on the list think about this?  Is
it worth bothering with ethernet support in Redboot?

Chris

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

* Re: [ECOS] Adding Ethernet support for Redboot on the E7T
@ 2001-11-06 13:33   ` Robin Farine
From: Robin Farine @ 2001-11-06 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Chris Garry <chris_garry@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> --- Simon <simoncc@ms46.url.com.tw> wrote:
> > I think using redboot via serial is better solution and I
> > do not recommand doing that via ethernet.
> > 'Cause it's a little bit complex to set up the development
> > environment.
> > And it's a little bit strange behavior appeared on redboot
> > I ever found.
> > So serial port is nice and enough.
> >
> > Simon
>
> Thanks for that Simon.
>
> What does everyone else on the list think about this?  Is
> it worth bothering with ethernet support in Redboot?

It depends on the size of the applications you need to download. For an
application of about 2Mb, I prefer to load it via Ethernet rather than
serial. You can configure your application to include the GDB stubs and make it
call the breakpoint() function where appropriate (such as at the beginning or
from the assert macro). You load it from RedBoot via Ethernet, start it and then
connect to the GDB stub via serial to debug it.

Robin

@ 2001-11-07  4:39     ` Simon
From: Simon @ 2001-11-07  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, Robin Farine

Right,
for big image, ethernet is a nice way to download owing to fast.
But the size of redboot become larger also.
At usual, developing an embedded application, it is better if
dividing that into several parts. After all parts are done, put them all
together and test that. This is the procedure I do here.
So the size of image is not too large to keep you waiting while developing
each part.

Simon

@ 2001-11-06  1:54 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-11-06  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Garry; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Chris> What needs to be done to add Ethernet support to Redboot on the
Chris> Evaluator-7T board?

You need to write the driver and hook it up properly. We haven't done
it as the (naked) board doesn't have the necessary parts and
connectors to use ethernet.

Chris> So, do I need to just add the correct combination of packages
Chris> to create an Ethernet ready Redboot, or is it more complicated
Chris> than that?  Does Redboot use the same Ethernet driver as eCos?

RedBoot uses the same driver as eCos, yes.

Jesper

* [ECOS] Adding Ethernet support for Redboot on the E7T
@ 2001-11-05 17:27 Chris Garry
From: Chris Garry @ 2001-11-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

What needs to be done to add Ethernet support to Redboot on the
Evaluator-7T board?

I've tried loading the Redboot template into the config tool and
adding a 'Samgsung Ethernet driver' package, but the package is
greyed out and does not get compiled when I do a build.

I also found that adding the the 'Common Ethernet Support' causes
the 'Samgsung Ethernet driver package'to be compiled, but the
reslting Redboot image does not work (not even with the serial
port).

So, do I need to just add the correct combination of packages to
create an Ethernet ready Redboot, or is it more complicated than
that?  Does Redboot use the same Ethernet driver as eCos?

Thanks,
Chris

http://uk.my.yahoo.com