* Re: [ECOS] problem with i-paq h3870 redboot install
@ 2002-03-27  0:22 Jared W. Alessandroni
From: Jared W. Alessandroni @ 2002-03-27  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Jared W. Alessandroni; +Cc: eCos Discussion, ecos-maintainers

Hi,
I was just wondering if you could tell me where can I get the newest binaries for a Redboot install for my I-Paq 3870?

Thanks!

Jared

* Re: [ECOS] problem with i-paq h3870 redboot install
@ 2002-03-27  0:34 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2002-03-27  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hopeful; +Cc: Gary Thomas, eCos Discussion, ecos-maintainers

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 08:56, Jared W. Alessandroni wrote:
> Hi,
> I was just wondering if you could tell me where can I get the newest binaries for a Redboot install for my I-Paq 3870?

You should be able to rebuild it yourself by following the instructions
on the web pages.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] problem with i-paq h3870 redboot install
@ 2002-03-27  0:36 Jared W. Alessandroni
From: Jared W. Alessandroni @ 2002-03-27  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Skov, Jared W. Alessandroni
  Cc: Gary Thomas, eCos Discussion, ecos-maintainers

--- Jesper Skov wrote:
You should be able to rebuild it yourself by following the instructions
on the web pages.
--- end of quote ---

Rebuild?   You mean, in Linux create from source to customize with the 3870?  I was sort of hoping someone else would have by now.

This is too bad, because I really would rather we use RedHat, but it's ridiculous if the Familliar distribution is so much easier to manage.  Do you have any lists on people who are developing for the newer I-Paqs?

* Re: [ECOS] problem with i-paq h3870 redboot install
@ 2002-03-24 17:38 Jared W. Alessandroni
From: Jared W. Alessandroni @ 2002-03-24 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Jared W. Alessandroni
  Cc: eCos Discussion, Joseph L. Hill, Samuel J. Reisner

--- Gary Thomas wrote:

Those files are old, but should be functional.  However, we've never
tried it on a 3870, only on the 3600 series units.

In order to use the serial connection, make sure and not touch the
keyboard or touchscreen after you start the program.  You should be
able to type RedBoot commands on the serial port.

Note: email sent directly to eCos engineers, without being copied to
the eCos discussion list, can and will be ignored.  Direct access is
available with a support contract.
--- end of quote ---

If you could point me to the newer binaries, that would be great.  Other than that, I guess we'll have to try to build it ourselves with the 3800 series hardware in mind or wait.  My take is that there is a hardware interface problem with this redboot and the Ipaq, and that it is freezing the machine at that point, accounting for the lack of communication on the serial, the frozen cursor, and so the rest of the isues.  If you have any other suggestions, that would be great, too.

And, being with Dartmouth College Computing [contact Joe Hill], we have more than a few RedHat service contracts, but obviously won't be getting any for this until we know it can work.

Thanks!

Jared

* Re: [ECOS] problem with i-paq h3870 redboot install
       [not found] <57246737@vixen.Dartmouth.EDU>
@ 2002-03-24 17:23 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-03-24 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hopeful; +Cc: eCos Discussion

ecos-discuss restored to cc list.

@ 2002-03-24 13:13 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-03-24 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hopeful; +Cc: eCos Discussion, ecos-maintainers

On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 12:32, Jared W. Alessandroni wrote:
> It loads the ram Red-boot, flashes some lines I can't read for a second, and then goes to calibrate, but even when I catch it, the calibrate mode only stays for a second [the keyboard stays on the screen] and then I get
>
> FLASH: 0x00000000 - 0x52000000
> FLASH configuration checksum e [this is the end of the screen]
This is just a warning which you can ignore for now.

@ 2002-03-24 13:00 Jared W. Alessandroni