* [ECOS] RedBoot Woes
@ 2002-03-27  8:55 Charles Schweizer
From: Charles Schweizer @ 2002-03-27  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

   I am stuck on the first step to getting eCos running on my laptop.  I
downloaded redboot.bin and threw it on a floppy.  Trying to boot my
laptop from this floppy brings up boot messages and a redboot prompt,
but after this the system becomes entirely unresponsive.  If I have
hyperterminal connected from my main machine, the same text shows up
there, but I still can't type commands or get responses.  Booting my
main machine from the same floppy works fine (I can type redboot
commands and get appropriate responses), so it's not the disk.  Any
ideas on what the problem might be, or how I could go about isolating it?

Laptop specs: Netlux NX-7321, AMD mobile Athlon 4 w/ VIA chipset
Main machine: Dell Precision 330, P4

Please respond to cbs2@ee.duke.edu

Thanks,
   Charles Schweizer
   Duke University

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot Woes
@ 2002-04-01 22:57 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2002-04-01 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Schweizer; +Cc: eCos Discuss

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 16:42, Charles Schweizer wrote:

>    I am stuck on the first step to getting eCos running on my laptop.  I
> downloaded redboot.bin and threw it on a floppy.  Trying to boot my
> laptop from this floppy brings up boot messages and a redboot prompt,
> but after this the system becomes entirely unresponsive.  If I have
> hyperterminal connected from my main machine, the same text shows up
> there, but I still can't type commands or get responses.  Booting my
> main machine from the same floppy works fine (I can type redboot
> commands and get appropriate responses), so it's not the disk.  Any
> ideas on what the problem might be, or how I could go about isolating it?
>
> Laptop specs: Netlux NX-7321, AMD mobile Athlon 4 w/ VIA chipset
> Main machine: Dell Precision 330, P4

There has been problems with RedBoot on machines with only one serial
port. I don't remember the details - look through the mailing list for
the solution (which is probably to rebuild RedBoot).

Jesper