* [ECOS] Newbie questions
@ 2002-07-17 18:34 Madhu Lakshmanan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Madhu Lakshmanan @ 2002-07-17 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Does Redboot for an x86 platform assume that chipsets
like the Northbridge, Southbridge, etc., are
initialized by a BIOS?

Can I use the current / latest Redboot sources to
create a Redboot for a generic x86 PC which _does not_
have a BIOS?

Thanks,

Madhu Lakshmanan

* [ECOS] cyg_user_start limitations
@ 2002-07-17 19:21 ` SASAKI@KOBELCO
From: SASAKI@KOBELCO @ 2002-07-17 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to execute some initial programs in cyg_user_start().
But some functions(systemcall) are ignored.
Does anyone know if cyg_user_start() has some limitations or not?

Thank you.

* Re: [ECOS] Newbie questions
@ 2002-07-18  0:44 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-07-18  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu Lakshmanan, ecos-discuss

On Thursday 18 July 2002 03:34, Madhu Lakshmanan wrote:
> Does Redboot for an x86 platform assume that chipsets
> like the Northbridge, Southbridge, etc., are
> initialized by a BIOS?
>
> Can I use the current / latest Redboot sources to
> create a Redboot for a generic x86 PC which _does not_
> have a BIOS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Madhu Lakshmanan

> http://autos.yahoo.com

 You can try RedBoot ROM target (very experimental) and burn it to Your BIOS
flash/eprom.

Regards
iz

* Re: [ECOS] Newbie questions
@ 2002-07-18  5:35 ` Jose Souto
From: Jose Souto @ 2002-07-18  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Madhu,

Your answer is yes.
You need a bios customized to your hardware that does at least CPU
registers configuration (if needed), SDRAM memory controller configuration
(and basic memory test - for sanity), Super I/O and COM1 38400-8N1
programming or any other serial port support and network interface
configuration, if you intend to use RedBoot with network support.

The last thing this bios should do is to enter protected mode and do a "FAR
JMP" to the RedBoot entry point. The sample "romboot" available does
nothing specific to your hardware but is a fair starting point. You don't
have to reinvent a bios but you need to have at least the SDRAM working,
the other things may be done in C at the beginning of RedBoot...

Jose Luiz

Madhu Lakshmanan wrote:

> Does Redboot for an x86 platform assume that chipsets
> like the Northbridge, Southbridge, etc., are
> initialized by a BIOS?
>
> Can I use the current / latest Redboot sources to
> create a Redboot for a generic x86 PC which _does not_
> have a BIOS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Madhu Lakshmanan

* Re: [ECOS] cyg_user_start limitations
@ 2002-07-18  6:47   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-07-18  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SASAKI@KOBELCO; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 20:14, SASAKI@KOBELCO wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm trying to execute some initial programs in cyg_user_start().
> But some functions(systemcall) are ignored.
> Does anyone know if cyg_user_start() has some limitations or not?

There are definitely restrictions here.
  cyg_user_start() runs on the startup stack - typically small
  no interrupts or scheduling will happen until this function exits

What sort of things are you trying to do?
Look at the test programs for good examples of what can and should
be done within the various startup functions.

* Re: [ECOS] cyg_user_start limitations
@ 2002-07-22 22:09     ` SASAKI@KOBELCO
From: SASAKI@KOBELCO @ 2002-07-22 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

At 02/07/18 07:47, Gary Thomas wrote:
>On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 20:14, SASAKI@KOBELCO wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I'm trying to execute some initial programs in cyg_user_start().
> > But some functions(systemcall) are ignored.
> > Does anyone know if cyg_user_start() has some limitations or not?
>
>There are definitely restrictions here.
>   cyg_user_start() runs on the startup stack - typically small
>   no interrupts or scheduling will happen until this function exits
>
>What sort of things are you trying to do?
>Look at the test programs for good examples of what can and should
>be done within the various startup functions.

I tried to set Alaram, and wait interrupt from my device.
I created another thread for initializations ,then I cleared problems.

Thank you .