* [ECOS]  downloading of application in assabet
@ 2002-10-22  2:23 Mildred Frisco
From: Mildred Frisco @ 2002-10-22  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

That's what I did.  I used arm-elf-gcc and not gcc but i
still can't download.  Please help.
Thanks.

Mildred

From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-22  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 03:23, Mildred Frisco wrote:

> That's what I did.  I used arm-elf-gcc and not gcc but i
> still can't download.  Please help.
> Thanks.
>
> Mildred

What command did you use to try and download the code?
What tool are you using?  GDB or Insight?

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |

* RE: [ECOS]  downloading of application in assabet
@ 2002-10-22  6:45 ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2002-10-22  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco, ecos-discuss

You probably also need to issue a "target remote" command such as:

target remote /dev/ttyS0

--

@ 2002-10-22 20:09   ` Mildred Frisco
From: Mildred Frisco @ 2002-10-22 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

i'm using the graphical tool insight.  i also tried to download some test
programs such as thread_gdb and thread2, produced in the test build.  the
same error also appeared.

@ 2002-10-23  5:52     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-23  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 21:09, Mildred Frisco wrote:

> i'm using the graphical tool insight.  i also tried to download some test
> programs such as thread_gdb and thread2, produced in the test build.  the
> same error also appeared.

We need more details;  exactly what commands, setups, etc, are you using
to download the code?

@ 2002-10-23 20:52     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-10-23 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

Mildred Frisco wrote:
> i'm using the graphical tool insight.  i also tried to download some test
> programs such as thread_gdb and thread2, produced in the test build.  the
> same error also appeared.

Yeah, I know this one. In Insight, go to File->Target Settings, and make
sure the settings are correct and click ok. Even if Insight knows what the
default value of the settings should be, you still have to go to
File->Target Settings first!

Jifl

[snip]

@ 2002-10-23 23:25       ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-10-23 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, Mildred Frisco; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

On Thursday 24 October 2002 05:52, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Mildred Frisco wrote:
> > i'm using the graphical tool insight.  i also tried to download some test
> > programs such as thread_gdb and thread2, produced in the test build.  the
> > same error also appeared.
>
> Yeah, I know this one. In Insight, go to File->Target Settings, and make
> sure the settings are correct and click ok. Even if Insight knows what the
> default value of the settings should be, you still have to go to
> File->Target Settings first!

IMPORTANT: if You happen to have an Insight with EXEC listed among the
targets, that means it was originally built for arm-linux target. That one
works only with linux gdbserver as the remote target, not with RedBoot or GDB
stubs.

You must rebuild Your Insight with --target=arm-elf,  that should correct the
problem.

And: when running eCos applications with Insight, be sure to keep the Insight
console window open, because all the diagnostic output is by default
redirected to the GDB console. Not having the console window open causes the
Insight to loose connection with the target after the first diag_printf
happens.

Regards
iz

* RE: [ECOS]  downloading of application in assabet
@ 2002-10-23 23:33       ` Mildred Frisco
From: Mildred Frisco @ 2002-10-23 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

	I tried to download test application using arm-elf-gdb

  # arm-elf-gdb thread_gdb

then the graphical gdb will appear showing the source code of the test
program.  i click File->Target Settings and set it to Remote/Serial, 38400,
/dev/ttyS0.  then Run->Connect to Target.  after sometime a message appears
'Successfully Connected'.  i then try to download by Run->Download but error
message appears:
	Download Status:
      Downloading /ecoscvs/.../thread_gdb to Remote/Serial
         You can't do that when your target is 'exec'

same thing happens when i try it with other programs in the tests directory
and also with the linked application hello.elf

please help.  thank you so much.

mildred

@ 2002-10-23 23:44         ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-10-23 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco, 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

On Thursday 24 October 2002 08:33, Mildred Frisco wrote:
> I tried to download test application using arm-elf-gdb
>
>   # arm-elf-gdb thread_gdb
>
> then the graphical gdb will appear showing the source code of the test
> program.  i click File->Target Settings and set it to Remote/Serial, 38400,
> /dev/ttyS0.  then Run->Connect to Target.  after sometime a message appears
> 'Successfully Connected'.  i then try to download by Run->Download but

If the Successfully Connected appears within a second or two, than the
communication is ok. But if there's a minute or two timeout before it
appears, there must be something wrong with the communication, I'm sure.

* RE: [ECOS]  downloading of application in assabet
@ 2002-10-24  2:27           ` Mildred Frisco
From: Mildred Frisco @ 2002-10-24  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iztok.zupet, 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

I found out there's something wrong with the gdb tool.  How do I check if
the serial connection is working ?

@ 2002-10-24  2:37             ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2002-10-24  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

A couple of methods:

Use a terminal emulator. When redboot boots it prints a banner. If you
don't see this there is something wrong with the cable, serial port,
speed etc.

It that all works, try using gdb with the -nw flag. This stops it
running the GUI. Without the GUI its much easier to see whats actually
going on. Do the usual

target remove /dev/ttyS0
set remotebaud 38400
set remotedebug 1
connect

It should then quickly return a prompt with an address in hex.

   Andrew

@ 2002-10-24  5:24             ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-10-24  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

On Thursday 24 October 2002 11:27, Mildred Frisco wrote:
> I found out there's something wrong with the gdb tool.  How do I check if
> the serial connection is working ?

Perhaps You can tie two Linux boxes together with a null nodem cable and run
gdbserver on one, that simulates the target. Your arm-elf-gdb should be able
to connect to the remote (gdbserver in this case) immediatly. But in the case
of gdbserver, the download doesn't work, only run works.

If Your target runs RedBoot, You should be able to communicate with it using
minicom on Linux or Hyperterminal on Win.

Regards
iz

* Re: [ECOS]  downloading of application in assabet
@ 2002-10-24  7:24               ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-10-24  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> A couple of methods:
>
> Use a terminal emulator. When redboot boots it prints a banner. If you
> don't see this there is something wrong with the cable, serial port,
> speed etc.
>
> It that all works, try using gdb with the -nw flag. This stops it
> running the GUI. Without the GUI its much easier to see whats actually
> going on. Do the usual
>
> target remove /dev/ttyS0
> set remotebaud 38400
> set remotedebug 1
> connect
>
> It should then quickly return a prompt with an address in hex.

I think that should be:

set remotebaud 38400
set remotedebug 1
target remote /dev/ttyS0

You may need to change /dev/ttyS0 to something else depending on your host
and the serial port number you are using.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS]  downloading of application in assabet
@ 2002-10-24 20:22               ` Mildred Frisco
From: Mildred Frisco @ 2002-10-24 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iztok.zupet; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

I think the cable is working.  I run minicom with the cable connected and a
message 'Online' shows below.  When I disconnect the cable the message
changes to 'Offline'.  However, the Redboot prompt does not appear.

mildred

@ 2002-10-24 21:46                 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-10-24 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco; +Cc: iztok.zupet, 'eCos Discussion'

Mildred Frisco wrote:
> I think the cable is working.  I run minicom with the cable connected and a
> message 'Online' shows below.  When I disconnect the cable the message
> changes to 'Offline'.  However, the Redboot prompt does not appear.

That still doesn't necessarily guarantee the cable is at fault. Have you
set your comms settings right? In particular no flow control, but also
38400-8-N-1 (which I believe is correct for assabet).

And you did power cycle the board with the cable connected, right?

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS]  downloading of application in assabet
@ 2002-10-25  6:07                 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-25  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mildred Frisco; +Cc: iztok.zupet, 'eCos Discussion'

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 21:23, Mildred Frisco wrote:

> I think the cable is working.  I run minicom with the cable connected and a
> message 'Online' shows below.  When I disconnect the cable the message
> changes to 'Offline'.  However, the Redboot prompt does not appear.

Let's back up a little;
  * Is this an true Assabet (Intel StrongARM development platform),
    or an "Assabet"-like device of your [or someone else's] making?
  * How do you know that it's working at all, if you never see the
    RedBoot prompt?
  * How did you get the RedBoot image into the device?
  * How did you build RedBoot?  (or where did it come from)?

       [not found] <200210211225.20717.anders@techtribe.se>
@ 2002-10-21 18:08 ` Mildred Frisco
From: Mildred Frisco @ 2002-10-21 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Oh I'm sorry.  That's what I did.  I used arm-elf-gcc and not gcc but i
still can't download.

Mildred

--
Anders Holmberg
Techtribe Solutions AB

* [ECOS] downloading of application in assabet
@ 2002-10-21  2:35 Mildred Frisco
From: Mildred Frisco @ 2002-10-21  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

@ 2002-10-20 18:47 Mildred Frisco