* [ECOS] Which Stack should I use ?
@ 2002-10-25 12:55 Cusson, Pascal
  2002-10-25 13:40 ` [ECOS] New to eCOS and tool building, problem building a cross gdb on cygwin using gdb sources downloaded via cygwin's setup.exe Warren Postma
From: Cusson, Pascal @ 2002-10-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello everyone,
   I just finished writing my Ethernet driver. I noticed that eCos comes with two stacks: FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Why one should I use ? I am not an expert at Ethernet stack so I hope my question simply makes senses.

   Could you also point me to good examples using the stack to initialize it, send and receive data from it.

Thanks

Pascal

* Re: [ECOS] Which Stack should I use ?
@ 2002-10-25 13:32 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-25 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cusson, Pascal; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 13:54, Cusson, Pascal wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>    I just finished writing my Ethernet driver. I noticed that eCos comes with two stacks: FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Why one should I use ? I am not an expert at Ethernet stack so I hope my question simply makes senses.

Use the new (FreeBSD based) one - it's about two years more up-to-date.

>    Could you also point me to good examples using the stack to initialize it, send and receive data from it.

There are many examples in the net/common tests directory.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |

@ 2002-10-25 13:40 ` Warren Postma
From: Warren Postma @ 2002-10-25 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Following the instructions on the ecos web site about building a
cross-debugger for cywgin, I'm trying to build one for the ARM compiler. I
used to latest sources downloaded through CYGWIN SETUP.EXE, which grabbed
gdb-gdb-200010428-3, since I figured that these packages probably would
"./configure;make all;make install" the most easily.  Anyways, I got GCC and
BINUTILS installed fine, but gdb dies.

make failes when linking libgdb.a, because of undefined external variable
which is a function of some kind (default_callback) declared in
remote-rdp.c.

I'm wondering if this is a CYGWIN thing. Shouldn't undefined externals be
allowd normally in Unix libraries, isn't that how certain functionality in
linking of library files is accomplished? Link it later, the .a file could
have undefined symbols.

Suffice it to say that I'm over my head. I'm reasonably good in Linux doing
this stuff, but I thought I'd try to get cygwin/redhat/ecos/gcc cross
compilers up and running on Windows (2000).

Anyone help?  gdb make output follows.

Regards,
Warren Postma

---------------

--- Output of make on gdb-gdb-20010428-3

...... runs fine for 10 minutes then ....

ar cru libangsd.a ardi.o angel_bytesex.o crc.o devsw.o drivers.o etherdrv.o
hostchan.o hsys.o logging.o msgbuild.o params.o rx.o serdrv.o serpardr.o
tx.o unixcomm.o
ranlib libangsd.a
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/build/gdb/gdb/rdi-share'
rm -f gdb.exe
gcc -mwin32 -g -O2        -Wl,--subsystem,console -o gdb.exe \
main.o libgdb.a cli-decode.o cli-script.o cli-cmds.o cli-setshow.o
cli-utils.o gdbtk.o gdbtk-cmds.o gdbtk-hooks.o gdbtk-varobj.o
gdbtk-wrapper.o gdbres.o rdi-share/libangsd.a   ../bfd/libbfd.a
../readline/libreadline.a ../opcodes/libopcodes.a ./../intl/libintl.a
../libiberty/libiberty.a `if test -r ../libtermcap/libtermcap.a; then echo
../libtermcap/libtermcap.a; else echo -ltermcap; fi`
../libgui/src/libgui.a -L/tmp/build/gdb/itcl/itcl/win -litcl30 -L/tmp/build/
gdb/itcl/itk/win -litk30 -L/tmp/build/gdb/tix/win/tcl8.0 -ltix4180 -L/tmp/bu
ild/gdb/tk/win -ltk80 -L/tmp/build/gdb/tcl/win -ltcl80      -lm -lm
../libiberty/libiberty.a -luser32 -lshell32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32\

libgdb.a(remote-rdp.o)(.data+0x0):remote-rdp.c: undefined reference to
`_default_callback'

---

* Re: [ECOS] New to eCOS and tool building, problem building a cross gdb on cygwin using gdb sources downloaded via cygwin's setup.exe
@ 2002-10-25 13:54   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Postma; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 14:40, Warren Postma wrote:
> Following the instructions on the ecos web site about building a
> cross-debugger for cywgin, I'm trying to build one for the ARM compiler. I
> used to latest sources downloaded through CYGWIN SETUP.EXE, which grabbed
> gdb-gdb-200010428-3, since I figured that these packages probably would
> "./configure;make all;make install" the most easily.  Anyways, I got GCC and
> BINUTILS installed fine, but gdb dies.
>
> make failes when linking libgdb.a, because of undefined external variable
> which is a function of some kind (default_callback) declared in
> remote-rdp.c.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a CYGWIN thing. Shouldn't undefined externals be
> allowd normally in Unix libraries, isn't that how certain functionality in
> linking of library files is accomplished? Link it later, the .a file could
> have undefined symbols.
>
> Suffice it to say that I'm over my head. I'm reasonably good in Linux doing
> this stuff, but I thought I'd try to get cygwin/redhat/ecos/gcc cross
> compilers up and running on Windows (2000).
>
> Anyone help?  gdb make output follows.

I think you should use the packages recommended at:
  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/win-arm-elf.html
The version of GDB that you are trying to build from is incredibly
old and I know that this particular problem was fixed long ago.
That not withstanding, you'll be better off with newer stuff.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |

* [ECOS] Re: Which Stack should I use ?
@ 2002-10-25 15:32   ` Daniel Néri
From: Daniel Néri @ 2002-10-25 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Gary Thomas <gthomas@ecoscentric.com> writes:

> Use the new (FreeBSD based) one - it's about two years more
> up-to-date.

Howcome another stack was imported, instead of bringing the old one
up-to-date?

Regards,
    --Daniel

--
Daniel Neri
dne@mayonnaise.net

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Which Stack should I use ?
@ 2002-10-25 15:45     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-25 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Néri; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 16:31, Daniel Néri wrote:
> Gary Thomas <gthomas@ecoscentric.com> writes:
>
> > Use the new (FreeBSD based) one - it's about two years more
> > up-to-date.
>
> Howcome another stack was imported, instead of bringing the old one
> up-to-date?

Because they were so divergent from what had been originally
imported.  I chose this path because it was the most expedient
and got us so much more functionality.