* [ECOS] ecos redboot compile problem.
@ 2003-04-17 20:21 Beymer, Mike
From: Beymer, Mike @ 2003-04-17 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I'm working on a port of redboot to the PSI Minno OMAP5910 PCA. Which is very similar
to the PSI Innovator. In trying to verify my build process, I am attempting to rebuild Patrick Doyle's SRAM image for the innovator. ( his works mine doesn't). In looking at an objdump -d
of Patrick's object file compared to mine, it appears to have a problem with endian'ism
Patrick's looks as follows:

redboot-sram.out:     file format elf32-littlearm

Disassembly of section .rom_vectors:

20000000 <__rom_vectors_lma>:
20000000:       78 56 34 12 21 43 65 87                             xV4.!Ce.

20000008 <__exception_handlers>:

Mine comes out as:

redboot.img:     file format elf32-littlearm

Disassembly of section .rom_vectors:

20000000 <__rom_vectors_lma>:
20000000:       12345678        eornes  r5, r4, #125829120      ; 0x7800000
20000004:       87654321        strhib  r4, [r5, -r1, lsr #6]!

20000008 <__exception_handlers>:

The same numbers but a different order. I've tried playing with the endian switches in the
compiler with no change in the results. I stumped, Patrick sent me what he remembers doing to build the file, but that didn't work. Any ideas??
 -Mike Beymer

* Re: [ECOS] ecos redboot compile problem.
@ 2003-04-17 21:18 ` Gary D. Thomas
From: Gary D. Thomas @ 2003-04-17 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beymer, Mike; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 14:21, Beymer, Mike wrote:
> I'm working on a port of redboot to the PSI Minno OMAP5910 PCA. Which is very similar
> to the PSI Innovator. In trying to verify my build process, I am attempting to rebuild Patrick Doyle's SRAM image for the innovator. ( his works mine doesn't). In looking at an objdump -d
> of Patrick's object file compared to mine, it appears to have a problem with endian'ism
> Patrick's looks as follows:
>
> redboot-sram.out:     file format elf32-littlearm
>
> Disassembly of section .rom_vectors:
>
> 20000000 <__rom_vectors_lma>:
> 20000000:       78 56 34 12 21 43 65 87                             xV4.!Ce.
>
> 20000008 <__exception_handlers>:
>

> Mine comes out as:
>
> redboot.img:     file format elf32-littlearm
>
> Disassembly of section .rom_vectors:
>
> 20000000 <__rom_vectors_lma>:
> 20000000:       12345678        eornes  r5, r4, #125829120      ; 0x7800000
> 20000004:       87654321        strhib  r4, [r5, -r1, lsr #6]!
>
> 20000008 <__exception_handlers>:
>
> The same numbers but a different order. I've tried playing with the endian switches in the
> compiler with no change in the results. I stumped, Patrick sent me what he remembers doing to build the file, but that didn't work. Any ideas??
>  -Mike Beymer

Must be something with your tools.  I just built this and I
got identical results to Patrick's.

What host are you using?
Where did you get your toolchain from?

--
.--------------------------------------------------------.
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |

* RE: [ECOS] ecos redboot compile problem.
@ 2003-05-02 16:54 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-05-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beymer, Mike'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

>  The problem I see with the Code Composer argument is, that
> the working image
> that you are supplying is using a different memory layout
> than current the sram
> ldi file. However I'm not saying that the other layout
> shouldn't work, it just
> didn't for me in my setup.
The raw binary that is supplied by Delphi with their "Linux on the
Innovator" document exists solely to allow the end user to load RedBoot for
the first time on an innovator.  How that binary file was generated is
irrelevant (to the purpose of the "Linux on the Innovator" document), since,
once you run that the first time, you can load whatever version of RedBoot
(or other applications) into FLASH.  Note that there could be other features
added to RedBoot and/or eCos (such as USB support, etc...) that have no
applicability to the first application that was used to load in RedBoot.

Going forward, I would suggest that a fourth configuration be defined: CCS,
that has the minimal set of capabilities required to allow one to load
RedBoot into SRAM via Code Composer.  It would also serve as a starting
point for people, such as yourself, who need to port eCos to a new platform
and want to start by just running RedBoot in internal SRAM on the OMAP.

>  Has anyone successfully built and used a sram image on CCS
> and Innovator, using
> the released sram ldi file?

I am anticipating that the answer will be "No".

--wpd

@ 2003-05-02 16:42 Beymer, Mike

@ 2003-05-02 14:51 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-05-02 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beymer, Mike'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

@ 2003-05-01 17:57 Beymer, Mike

@ 2003-05-01 16:40 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-05-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beymer, Mike', Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Discussion

@ 2003-05-01 16:15 Beymer, Mike
From: Beymer, Mike @ 2003-05-01 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beymer, Mike, Doyle, Patrick, Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Discussion

I fat fingered vi and ended up with some extra lines at the end of
the last ldi file. This one should be correct.
 -Mike

I've attached my mlt_arm_arm9_innovator_sram.ldi with my
changes to the .data section.
 -Mike

I was confused by this as well.  I figured I would look into it again after
I finished the USB stuff I'm working on.  Perhaps by then Mike will have
solved all of the problems and I won't have to look at it :-)

--wpd

[-- Attachment #2: mlt_arm_arm9_innovator_sram.ldi --]

// eCos memory layout - Tue Aug 07 11:15:51 2001

// This is a generated file - do not edit

#include <cyg/infra/cyg_type.inc>

MEMORY
{
    ram : ORIGIN = 0x00000000, LENGTH = 0x02000000
   sram : ORIGIN = 0x20000000, LENGTH = 0x00030000
}

SECTIONS
{
    SECTIONS_BEGIN
    SECTION_rom_vectors      (sram, 0x20000000,  LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_text             (sram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_fini             (sram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_rodata           (sram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_rodata1          (sram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_fixup            (sram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_gcc_except_table (sram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_data             (sram, ALIGN (0x4), FOLLOWING(.gcc_except_table))
    SECTION_fixed_vectors    (ram,  0x20,        LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_bss              (ram, 0x8000 , LMA_EQ_VMA)
    CYG_LABEL_DEFN(__heap1) = ALIGN (0x8);
    SECTIONS_END

* RE: [ECOS] ecos redboot compile problem.
@ 2003-05-01 15:38 Beymer, Mike
From: Beymer, Mike @ 2003-05-01 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doyle, Patrick, Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Discussion

I've attached my mlt_arm_arm9_innovator_sram.ldi with my
changes to the .data section.
 -Mike

I was confused by this as well.  I figured I would look into it again after
I finished the USB stuff I'm working on.  Perhaps by then Mike will have
solved all of the problems and I won't have to look at it :-)

--wpd

    SECTION_bss              (ram, 0xf000 , LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTIONS_END

* RE: [ECOS] ecos redboot compile problem.
@ 2003-05-01 13:25 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-05-01 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour', Beymer, Mike; +Cc: eCos Discussion

@ 2003-05-01  1:45 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-05-01  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beymer, Mike; +Cc: Doyle, Patrick, eCos Discussion

@ 2003-04-30 12:20 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-04-30 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beymer, Mike'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

The "no link" message is from the ethernet driver.  If you don't have an
ethernet MAC/PHY, then you should remove the CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_INNOVATOR
package.  If you do have one, but it is different than the innovator, then
you should remove it until you have the time to adapt the innovator package
for your target.

--wpd

@ 2003-04-29 23:49 Beymer, Mike

@ 2003-04-25 21:32 Beymer, Mike
From: Beymer, Mike @ 2003-04-25 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doyle, Patrick; +Cc: eCos Discussion

One other think I noticed was, that when I load my image with
code composer I don't get the load error at 0x20. I notice that in
the fixed vectors section is set to this address in the sram .ldi file.
I don't understand what's getting loaded here.
 -Mike

@ 2003-04-25 20:53 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-04-25 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doyle, Patrick, 'Beymer, Mike'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

@ 2003-04-25 20:37 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-04-25 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beymer, Mike'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

It's a good concern, but misplaced in this case for a couple of reasons:

1) In general eCos does not enable MMU-style memory protection.  Having said
that, it is possible/likely that certain regions of non-existent memory may
be flagged as "inaccessible" using whatever hardware is available (the MMU
on the ARMs, the BAT registers on the PowerPC's etc...), but eCos does not
implement general memory protection such as is found in Linux, or
occasionally, Windows.

2) Even if eCos did flag certain regions of memory as "readonly" (which it
would do for the internal SRAM of the OMAP), the only time that those first
two locations of SRAM are written are immediately following a reset --
before any such protections would be enabled (which they are not).

So, in this case, you may rest easily :-)

--wpd

@ 2003-04-25 20:33 Beymer, Mike

>     An arm-elf-objdump -h  of redboot.img reveals .rom_vectors as
>                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
>        arm-elf-objdump -h of redboot-SRAM.out show .rom_vectors as
>                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, CODE

I don't know why it changed from when I created redboot-SRAM.out to now, but
it doesn't matter.  The READONLY attribute is just a flag to loader.
RedBoot, at startup just scribbles to locations in SRAM (which is writable,
despite what hints might be in some files somewhere on the host computer),
so why do you think that is putting you in an infinite loop?

>   if the READONLY means that code is not allowed to be
> changed i.e. protected
>   space. Then trying to rewrite the 0x12345678 and 0x87654321
> would fail and
>   put me into an infinite loop. How do I get this READONLY
> turned off??

--wpd

@ 2003-04-25 18:54 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-04-25 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beymer, Mike'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

> Another point just discovered,
>     An arm-elf-objdump -h  of redboot.img reveals .rom_vectors as
>                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, READONLY, CODE
>        arm-elf-objdump -h of redboot-SRAM.out show .rom_vectors as
>                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, CODE

I don't know why it changed from when I created redboot-SRAM.out to now, but
it doesn't matter.  The READONLY attribute is just a flag to loader.
RedBoot, at startup just scribbles to locations in SRAM (which is writable,
despite what hints might be in some files somewhere on the host computer),
so why do you think that is putting you in an infinite loop?

>   if the READONLY means that code is not allowed to be
> changed i.e. protected
>   space. Then trying to rewrite the 0x12345678 and 0x87654321
> would fail and
>   put me into an infinite loop. How do I get this READONLY
> turned off??

--wpd

* RE: [ECOS] ecos redboot compile problem.
@ 2003-04-25 18:19 Beymer, Mike

From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-04-25 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beymer, Mike'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

> Thanks for the reply Patrick,
>   I found the branch at the third location in SRAM. However,
> what I don't understand is how
> the PC is getting to address 0x20000008 (Third position in
> SRAM) on a reset. From the comments
> in the source I assume that there is a branch in Flash at
> 0x00 that goes to SRAM. If it's
> going to 0x20000000 then why don't the codes at 0x20000000
> and 0x20000004 get executed since
> they are valid opcodes?
At reset, the processor starts executing at address 0.  Assuming the DIP
switches are in their default positions, address 0 maps to the AMD boot
flash on the innovator.

The code at address 0 contains a branch instruction to the initialization
code in RedBoot.

The initialization code examines addresses 0x20000000 and 0x20000004 to see
if they contain 0x12345678 and 0x87654321 respectively.  If they do, the
code zeros those locations and branches to address 0x20000008 (the third
word in SRAM).  So, the opcodes at addresses 0x20000000 and 0x20000004 are
never executed.

>    BTW. I'm running on a X86 Linux Red Hat 9.0. I've tried
> both the caned and home built
>  cross-compiler. For some reason arm-elf-objdump thinks that
> the data at 0x20000000 is
>  data in redboot-SRAM.out from you; and my redboot.img it
> shows as instructions.

Now I am confused as to what was your original problem...
When I run arm-elf-objdump -D as I described in my previous email, I get the
same results for redboot-SRAM.out as I do for install/bin/redboot.elf.
(Well, they are the same for the 0x20000000 addresses of which we are
speaking -- I've changed other things since then).

So I am confused... what problem are you trying to solve?
--wpd

* RE: [ECOS] ecos redboot compile problem.
@ 2003-04-25 15:53 Beymer, Mike

@ 2003-04-25 13:32 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2003-04-25 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Beymer, Mike'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

@ 2003-04-24 22:04 Beymer, Mike
From: Beymer, Mike @ 2003-04-24 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary D. Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

I'm still unable to get the same results as Patrick and Gary. Here's a list of things tried.
  - reinstall ecos and tool chains.
  - build tool chain from scratch.
  - looked at hex dumps of img file and found same byte order at same offset for the
     12345678 87654321 pattern.
  - looked at the source for this pattern. According to a comment in source the 12345678 and
     87654321 when loaded into the first 2 words of sram is a trick to get the reset to branch
     to the 3rd location in sram.
  - 12345678 decodes into a valid arm instruction. "eornes  r5, r4, #125829120"  87654321
      decodes into a valid instruction as well. Maybe the better question to ask is why
      isn't this code being looked at by obj-dump -d as an instruction in Patrick and Gary's'
      generated code. Is there somewhere that this "trick" is documented outside of ECOS?

     Any ideas?

-Thanks Mike Beymer

From: Beymer, Mike @ 2003-04-18 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary D. Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Those are the same commands I used exactly (except the directory of course). Today I tried
redownloading ecos from cvs and rebuilt redboot with exactly the same results. I guess the
toolchain is next suspect.
 -Mike
Please CC your replies to the eCos mailing list so that all
can benefit from the information.  That list provides free
support - private support is available under contract only.

       [not found] <218C6B103596E746932D287EB519B5DD096695@spokane-mx1.itron.com>
@ 2003-04-18 11:28 ` Gary D. Thomas
From: Gary D. Thomas @ 2003-04-18 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beymer, Mike; +Cc: eCos Discussion