* [ECOS] diference between ecos and redboot
@ 2003-09-29 19:43 Lucas Aimaretto
From: Lucas Aimaretto @ 2003-09-29 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lista Red Boot

I'm new to this but I'd like an "human" explanation on what's the diference between eCos and redboot and what are they (together or on their own) used to.

thankyou

regards

lucas

* Re: [ECOS] diference between ecos and redboot
@ 2003-09-29 21:58 ` Chuck McManis
From: Chuck McManis @ 2003-09-29 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucas Aimaretto, Lista Red Boot

Redboot is an application that knows how to talk to GDB, how to load SRECs,
and how to talk to various boot "devices" (network, disk, etc.)

ECOS is the name of a set of routines that get compiled into a library
which provide operating system primitives for use by an application.

Application is a user developed program that does something.

When you build you application you link it to the eCos library. Then you
have Redboot load it into memory for you and to start it. Once it is
started, if it doesn't "crash", Redboot never runs again. If it does
"crash" it invokes the gdb stubs that are in Redboot and waits to be debugged.

Unlike Linux, or UNIX, or Windows - eCos has no command shell, file system,
or window system. It is an _embedded_ OS where you generally either don't
need those things, or you want a simple scaled down version, just enough to
support your application.

--Chuck

@ 2003-09-30  7:23   ` Bob Koninckx
From: Bob Koninckx @ 2003-09-30  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck McManis; +Cc: Lucas Aimaretto, Lista Red Boot

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 23:57, Chuck McManis wrote:

> ECOS is the name of a set of routines that get compiled into a library
> which provide operating system primitives for use by an application.

Not just the primitives! It provides the whole operating system;
scheduler, threading, thread synchronization, device drivers ...

> Application is a user developed program that does something.
>
> When you build you application you link it to the eCos library. Then you
> have Redboot load it into memory for you and to start it. Once it is
> started, if it doesn't "crash", Redboot never runs again. If it does
> "crash" it invokes the gdb stubs that are in Redboot and waits to be debugged.
>
> Unlike Linux, or UNIX, or Windows - eCos has no command shell, file system,

?? eCos does support even more than one type of filesystem !! But you
can omit it if you don't need it (as is the case with almost everything
in eCos).

Bob

ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma