* [ECOS] Footprint size.
@ 2003-10-07 14:22 James Yates
From: James Yates @ 2003-10-07 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Can anyone tell me what they think should be the approximate footprint size of a basic eCos kernel built on an SH or i386 platform. I am in the process of porting to a new SH2 processor and target platform, but when I build my eCos library libtarget.a comes out at 2924kB. This sounds excessively large to me but I am new to eCos so have no idea of what it should be.

   Can anyone help?

	Many THanks in advance.

		James Yates

* Re: [ECOS] Footprint size.
@ 2003-10-07 14:34 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-10-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Yates; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 03:23:46PM +0100, James Yates wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what they think should be the approximate footprint size of a basic eCos kernel built on an SH or i386 platform. I am in the process of porting to a new SH2 processor and target platform, but when I build my eCos library libtarget.a comes out at 2924kB. This sounds excessively large to me but I am new to eCos so have no idea of what it should be.
>
>    Can anyone help?

A good place to start is ---------|

                                \ | /
                                 \|/

This is a FAQ thats been asked too many times.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Footprint size.
@ 2003-10-07 14:35 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-10-07 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Yates; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 08:23, James Yates wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what they think should be the approximate footprint size of a basic eCos kernel built on an SH or i386 platform. I am in the process of porting to a new SH2 processor and target platform, but when I build my eCos library libtarget.a comes out at 2924kB. This sounds excessively large to me but I am new to eCos so have no idea of what it should be.

You can't tell anything from the size of libtarget.a - it contains
*everything* in the kernel, along with massive amounts of debug
information.  Also, the size of your resulting eCos application
will vary with a number of factors, not the least of which are
all of the possible configuration parameters which are under your
control.

The size of an actual kernel+application could be as small as
50KB (not much there, really) up to maybe 200KB if you include
network stacks and such.

There really is no one answer for your question - you'll just
have to see how it plays out.  Just don't forget to look at the
real sizes, not file sizes, as there will be a vast difference
between the two.  Here's an extreme example - a PowerPC based
system, including the VNC server:
  [gthomas@hermes download]$ ls -l vnc-test
  -rwxr-xr-x    1 gthomas  wheel     5682765 Sep  1 19:33 vnc-test
  [gthomas@hermes download]$ powerpc-eabi-size vnc-test
   346184       0  660376 1006560   f5be0 vnc-test
  [gthomas@hermes download]$ ls -l lib/libtarget.a
  -rw-r--r--    1 gthomas  wheel    14179440 Sep  1 19:33 lib/libtarget.a

With this setup, my libtarget.a is over 14MB! but the resulting
program is ~350KB of code.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* RE: [ECOS] Footprint size.
@ 2003-10-07 14:40 Retallack, Mark (Siemens)
From: Retallack, Mark (Siemens) @ 2003-10-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

It is better to think of the libtarget.a file has a book library, you dont
take all the books at once and read them at home, instead you take the books
that you need.

The libtarget.a file contains all of the data and functions that may be
required. It also contains all the debug symbols and extra data that is not
required in the final binary image. Most of this data is removed/ignored
when the final application image is made.

To get a better feel for the size of the final image you need to create an
application and do an objdump on in. This will tell you how much rom/rom is
used and the locations of the data.

Can anyone tell me what they think should be the approximate footprint size
of a basic eCos kernel built on an SH or i386 platform. I am in the process
of porting to a new SH2 processor and target platform, but when I build my
eCos library libtarget.a comes out at 2924kB. This sounds excessively large
to me but I am new to eCos so have no idea of what it should be.

   Can anyone help?

	Many THanks in advance.

		James Yates

Siemens Traffic Controls is a division of Siemens plc. Registered No.
727817, England.
Registered office: Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8FZ.

This communication contains information which is confidential and
may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the addressee.
If you are not the addressee please note that any distribution,
reproduction, copying, publication or use of this communication
or the information in it is prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please contact us immediately and also
delete the communication from your computer.