* [ECOS] ARM Simulator
@ 2003-10-13 14:05 bier meister
From: bier meister @ 2003-10-13 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

- What can the gdb ARM simulator do in addition to
instruction set simulation? (e.g. simulate network
devices, serial links, etc.)

- Are the simulator's features documented?
- where can one get them?

Thanks.

* Re: [ECOS] ARM Simulator
@ 2003-10-13 14:17 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-10-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bier meister; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 08:05, bier meister wrote:
> Hello,
>
> - What can the gdb ARM simulator do in addition to
> instruction set simulation? (e.g. simulate network
> devices, serial links, etc.)
>
> - Are the simulator's features documented?
> - where can one get them?

There is an ARM simulator that can be built into GDB.  It is
nothing more than an instruction set simulator - no I/O.

The SID project has more complete simulators, even up to a
complete ARM/PID board.  See http://sources.redhat.com/sid/
for details.  Also review the archives of this mailing list
for extended discussions on how to use SID with eCos.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* RE: [ECOS] ARM Simulator
@ 2002-11-12  8:24   ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2002-11-12  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Cragie, eCos, Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas wrote:

> The ARM simulator is architectural only - it does not implement
> any I/O devices, thus it's not suitable for running eCos applications.
>
> What were you after?  If you just want a simulated ARM platform,
> look into SID (lots of recent discussion on this list)

Thanks to both of you for the info.  I'll look at SID.  The "architectural
only" part of the GDB based ARM simulator would probably have been fine --
all I wanted was something I could look at when I wasn't physically seated
next to the hardware, but I didn't have tremendous luck bringing that up
based on 10 minutes of work :-)

--wpd

* Re: [ECOS] ARM Simulator
@ 2002-11-12  7:43 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-11-12  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 11:24, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Has anybody run an eCos configuration under the ARM simulator that is built
> into GDB?  I seem to recall a specific "psim" target for the PowerPC
> simulator, but don't see a similar target for the ARM platforms.
>
> Alternatively, can anybody point me in the right direction for more
> information about the ARM simulator built into GDB?

The ARM simulator is architectural only - it does not implement
any I/O devices, thus it's not suitable for running eCos applications.

What were you after?  If you just want a simulated ARM platform,
look into SID (lots of recent discussion on this list)

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |

* RE: [ECOS] ARM Simulator
@ 2002-11-12  7:41 ` Robert Cragie
From: Robert Cragie @ 2002-11-12  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle, eCos

If your aim is to run eCos applications without any target hardware, I have
run eCos successfully under the SID ARM PID emulator, which in some ways is
better than using the GDB simulator. See
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2002-09/msg00027.html for a HTML
mini-howto.

Note that I don't know anything about the GDB ARM simulator, I'm afraid.

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer

Direct: +44 (0) 114 281 4512
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK
http://www.jennic.com  Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655   Confidential
Visit our stand at Electronica, Munich 12-14 November 2002

* [ECOS] ARM Simulator
@ 2002-11-12  7:25 Patrick Doyle