* RE: [ECOS] Redboot image load via PCI bus?
@ 2003-11-06 17:33 Snider, Marc
From: Snider, Marc @ 2003-11-06 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

My thought was to provide the standard I/O device driver routines (open,
close, read...) on top of the PCI accesses and thus shield the higher layer
loader code.  I'd make it look like the image data was coming from somewhere
else like the flash.  It looks like do_load doesn't care where the image
data comes from as long as the native format (in my case likely SREC) is
maintained...

Yes, the host does have access to the memory on the target system, but it
would be preferable to pull the data from the host as opposed to pushing it
from there to the target...

Marc

From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-06 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Snider, Marc; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 10:37, Snider, Marc wrote:
> My thought was to provide the standard I/O device driver routines (open,
> close, read...) on top of the PCI accesses and thus shield the higher layer
> loader code.  I'd make it look like the image data was coming from somewhere
> else like the flash.  It looks like do_load doesn't care where the image
> data comes from as long as the native format (in my case likely SREC) is
> maintained...
>
> Yes, the host does have access to the memory on the target system, but it
> would be preferable to pull the data from the host as opposed to pushing it
> from there to the target...

Understood.  If you look carefully at how the "load" command works,
you won't need to make *any* changes directly to it, but just add a
new I/O method.  Also, I'd suggest that you put your new PCI method
in your platform HAL - there is no need to mess about with the core
of RedBoot.

note: a lot of care has been taken (by me) to allow such extensions
without any [direct] changes to the RedBoot tree.

... Ah, the joy of tables.

--

@ 2003-11-06 18:13 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-06 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Snider, Marc; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 11:13, Snider, Marc wrote:
> Makes sense, Gary.  Thanks for the pointers...  Assuming I'm otherwise
> entirely comfortable with what version 1.3.1 provides, will I need to go to
> (do you advise) version 2.0 before making these mods or is 1.3.1 adequate?

1.3.1 is too out of date - don't even think about it.

Use the latest from CVS - that's the best approach.

--

@ 2003-11-06 18:10 Snider, Marc

--

@ 2003-11-06 16:45 ` Gary Thomas