* [ECOS] Samsung SNDS warning....bss not in segment
@ 2003-11-07  2:30 RandyLin
From: RandyLin @ 2003-11-07  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I got a warning when compile redboot for Samsung SNDS
BFD:/redboot_snds_install/redboot.img:warning:allocated section '.bss' not
in segment
I didn't modify any code.
what it means? how to fix it?

* Re: [ECOS] Samsung SNDS warning....bss not in segment
@ 2003-11-07 14:35 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-07 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RandyLin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 19:28, RandyLin@mxic.com.tw wrote:
> I got a warning when compile redboot for Samsung SNDS
> BFD:/redboot_snds_install/redboot.img:warning:allocated section '.bss' not
> in segment
> I didn't modify any code.
> what it means? how to fix it?

It means that your image uses more memory than is available on
your platform.  Probably a very bad thing, as the best that you
could do is adjust your configuration somewhat (disable some
packages or features that you don't need, make buffers smaller, etc).
I say "bad thing" because even if you get it to fit, there probably
won't be much memory left for RedBoot to do anything useful on your
platform.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Samsung SNDS warning....bss not in segment
@ 2003-11-07 18:09   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-11-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: RandyLin, ecos-discuss

Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 19:28, RandyLin@mxic.com.tw wrote:
> > I got a warning when compile redboot for Samsung SNDS
> > BFD:/redboot_snds_install/redboot.img:warning:allocated section '.bss' not
> > in segment
> > I didn't modify any code.
> > what it means? how to fix it?
>
> It means that your image uses more memory than is available on
> your platform.  Probably a very bad thing, as the best that you
> could do is adjust your configuration somewhat (disable some
> packages or features that you don't need, make buffers smaller, etc).
> I say "bad thing" because even if you get it to fit, there probably
> won't be much memory left for RedBoot to do anything useful on your
> platform.

While that may be true, I suspect that this is just an instance of a
known bug in the toolchain. This is happening when objcopy is being
used to generate redboot.img an ELF file with the debug info stripped
out.  The message is not seen when linking to create redboot.elf or
generating redboot.srec and redboot.bin from it.

This bug is actually entirely benign, it is only a warning,
redboot.img gets generated correctly. Something in the BFD library is
just confused and the conditions for generating this message are
wrong. It should go away with newer versions of binutils.

* Re: [ECOS] Samsung SNDS warning....bss not in segment
@ 2003-11-07 18:17     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-07 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: RandyLin, ecos-discuss

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 08:53, Nick Garnett wrote:
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 19:28, RandyLin@mxic.com.tw wrote:
> > > I got a warning when compile redboot for Samsung SNDS
> > > BFD:/redboot_snds_install/redboot.img:warning:allocated section '.bss' not
> > > in segment
> > > I didn't modify any code.
> > > what it means? how to fix it?
> >
> > It means that your image uses more memory than is available on
> > your platform.  Probably a very bad thing, as the best that you
> > could do is adjust your configuration somewhat (disable some
> > packages or features that you don't need, make buffers smaller, etc).
> > I say "bad thing" because even if you get it to fit, there probably
> > won't be much memory left for RedBoot to do anything useful on your
> > platform.
>
> While that may be true, I suspect that this is just an instance of a
> known bug in the toolchain. This is happening when objcopy is being
> used to generate redboot.img an ELF file with the debug info stripped
> out.  The message is not seen when linking to create redboot.elf or
> generating redboot.srec and redboot.bin from it.

Fair enough - I missed the fact that it was only for the .img file
(which is seldom, if ever, used anymore)  IIRC, the only reason we
used to make them was so we could publish "standard" ELF images for
RedBoot and this trick was used to make them smaller and easier for
folks to download.

In other words, as Nick said, this warning can be ignored.