* [ECOS] Running application from RAM without Redboot
@ 2005-04-22 12:31 Jerome Souquieres
From: Jerome Souquieres @ 2005-04-22 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

  Hi,

  I would like to have some advice about how to fit my specific need
within the eCos structure.

  I have written a package derived from hal\mips\idt79s334a for my own
CPU board (IDT32334 MIPS-based microprocessor). So far, so good.
However, the way my application is launched is a bit peculiar: I have a
ROM monitor (which is NOT Redboot and which I cannot change) that simply
loads an hex file at a fixed address in RAM (0x80200000, should that
matter). However, to build my application under eCos, I'm in trouble to
choose the startup option:
- CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROM: is not available for my target. No more discussion.
- CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROMRAM: not suitable. I don't need all code to be
copied from RAM to ROM, I don't want the SDRAM controller to be
configured (because it is obsviously already configured at this point
since I'm running from RAM), I don't want the exception vectors to be
located in ROM, etc...
- CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM: almost suitable,but this configuration relies on
Redboot to provide exception vectors.

  For now, what I've done is tweaking the CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM
configuration so that it takes control of exception vectors. This works,
but is a bit rough because I've somewhat changed the semantics of
CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM.

  Could an eCos architect give me a hint for a proper implementation ?
Should I create my own CYG_HAL_STARTUP_xxx ? Should I add a sub-option ?
Another idea ?

  Thanks in advance,

  Jerome Souquieres

* Re: [ECOS] Running application from RAM without Redboot
@ 2005-04-22 13:36 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-04-22 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Souquieres; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 14:16 +0200, Jerome Souquieres wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   I would like to have some advice about how to fit my specific need
> within the eCos structure.
>
>   I have written a package derived from hal\mips\idt79s334a for my own
> CPU board (IDT32334 MIPS-based microprocessor). So far, so good.
> However, the way my application is launched is a bit peculiar: I have a
> ROM monitor (which is NOT Redboot and which I cannot change) that simply
> loads an hex file at a fixed address in RAM (0x80200000, should that
> matter). However, to build my application under eCos, I'm in trouble to
> choose the startup option:
> - CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROM: is not available for my target. No more discussion.
> - CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROMRAM: not suitable. I don't need all code to be
> copied from RAM to ROM, I don't want the SDRAM controller to be
> configured (because it is obsviously already configured at this point
> since I'm running from RAM), I don't want the exception vectors to be
> located in ROM, etc...
> - CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM: almost suitable,but this configuration relies on
> Redboot to provide exception vectors.
>
>   For now, what I've done is tweaking the CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM
> configuration so that it takes control of exception vectors. This works,
> but is a bit rough because I've somewhat changed the semantics of
> CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM.
>
>   Could an eCos architect give me a hint for a proper implementation ?
> Should I create my own CYG_HAL_STARTUP_xxx ? Should I add a sub-option ?
> Another idea ?

CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM is the right mode to use.  All you probably need is
to make sure that CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR is disabled.  In this
setup, your application should take over the hardware completely,
initializing all the exceptions and I/O

* Re: [ECOS] Running application from RAM without Redboot
@ 2005-04-22 17:29 Jerome Souquieres
From: Jerome Souquieres @ 2005-04-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Gary,

Thanks for your quick answer. CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR does not work
for me out of the box, but I will change my HAL to fit my needs in this
configuration. Thanks again.

Jerome Souquieres

--

Jerome Souquieres

*/Ingenieur Electronique et Systemes embarques/*

Tel. : +33 (0)4 76 33 96 14

Fax : +33 (0)4 76 20 35 01

_jerome.souquieres@kis.fr <mailto:jerome.souquieres@kis.fr>_

<http://www.kis-photome.com/> <http://www.myphotoplanet.com/>

KIS, Photo-Me Group – 2110, av. du General de Gaulle – 38130 Echirolles
– France – Tel : +33 (0)4 76 33 30 00 – www.kis-photome.com

Les informations contenues dans le present courrier electronique sont
strictement confidentielles. Seul son ou ses destinataire(s)
expressement indique(s) comme tel(s) est/sont autorise(s) a en prendre
connaissance. Le fait dÂ’intercepter, de detourner, dÂ’utiliser ou de
divulguer un courrier transmis par voie electronique est interdit et
passible de sanctions penales en vertu de lÂ’article 226-15 du Code
penal. Merci de repondre immediatement a tout courrier electronique reçu
par erreur afin dÂ’en informer son expediteur, avant de le supprimer
completement de votre ordinateur. La societe KIS (ainsi que toute
societe du Groupe Photo-Me International) nÂ’autorise pas la conclusion
de contrat en son nom par voie electronique. Tous les fichiers joints
ont ete soumis a un logiciel anti-virus mis a jour regulierement. KIS
decline toute responsabilite en matiere de dommages subis suite a un
virus. The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee.
Unauthorised interception, diversion, disclosure or use of the contents
is strictly prohibited according to Article 226-15 of the French
Criminal Code (“Code Pénal”). Please reply immediately if you receive
this e-mail in error and then immediately delete it from your system.
KIS (as well as any company of the Photo-Me International Group) does
not authorise the creation of contracts on its behalf by e-mail. All
attachments have been scanned for viruses using regularly updates
programs. KIS cannot accept liability for any damage you incur as a
result of virus infection