* [ECOS] 1st build of redboot
@ 2005-06-01 23:06 Greg Lindberg
From: Greg Lindberg @ 2005-06-01 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello all,

I'm just getting started with Redboot and ecos.  I trying to build an
existing version of redboot before starting on porting it to the custom
hardware that we're using for our product.  I downloaded the
ecos-installer.sh script and ran that and after trying to configure for an
intel xscale pxa processor, I pulled the latest code from cvs and copied it
on top of the tree that the installer created.  I then was able to configure
for the uE250 board.  I got some warnings and then a failure during the
compile as follows:

$ ecosconfig new uE250 redboot
U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR, new inferred value 0
$ ecosconfig import
../ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/xscale/uE250/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm
../ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/xscale/uE250/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm:
warning
    Cannot load version `current' of package `CYGPKG_HAL', version `v2_0' is
already loaded.
../ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/xscale/uE250/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm:
warning
    Cannot load version `current' of package `CYGPKG_INFRA', version `v2_0'
is already loaded.
../ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/xscale/uE250/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm:
warning
    Cannot load version `current' of package `CYGPKG_REDBOOT', version
`v2_0' is already loaded.
../ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/xscale/uE250/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm:
warning
    Cannot load version `current' of package `CYGPKG_ISOINFRA', version
`v2_0' is already loaded.
../ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/xscale/uE250/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm:
warning
    Cannot load version `current' of package `CYGPKG_LIBC_STRING', version
`v2_0' is already loaded.
../ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/xscale/uE250/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm:
warning
    Cannot load version `current' of package `CYGPKG_CRC', version `v2_0' is
already loaded.
../ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/xscale/uE250/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm:
warning
    Cannot load version `current' of package `CYGPKG_NS_DNS', version `v2_0'
is already loaded.
$ ecosconfig tree
$ make
arm-elf-gcc -c  -I/opt/ecos/build/install/include -I/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packa
ges/hal/arm/arch/current -I/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/
src -I/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/tests -I. -I/opt/ecos
/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/ -finline-limit=7000 -Wall -Wpoi
nter-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Winline -Wundef  -g -O2 -ffunction-sections
-fdata-sections  -fno-exceptions   -mapcs-frame -fno-builtin -Wp,-MD,src/red
boot_linux_exec.tmp -o src/hal_arm_arch_redboot_linux_exec.o
/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c
/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c:
In function `do_exec':
/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c:32
9: `NO_MEMORY' undeclared (first use in this function)
/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c:32
9: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c:32
9: for each function it appears in.)
/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/redboot_linux_exec.c:35
6: warning: passing arg 5 of `init_opts' from incompatible pointer type
make[1]: *** [src/redboot_linux_exec.o.d] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/ecos/build/hal/arm/arch/current'
make: *** [build] Error 2
$

I'm getting an undeclared on 'NO_MEMORY' in redboot_linux_exec.c after doing
a clean install, if I've missed some part of the setup and configuration,
could some one please point me in the right direction?

As a sanity check I tried creating an mpc50 version of redboot and that
compiled correctly, I don't know if it's RAM or ROM based as there is no new
.ecm file in the xscale/mpc50 dir tree.  I also tried compiling an version
of the uE250 tree without importing a different .ecm file and with the RAM
.ecm file with the same results.

I guess at this point I'll start trying to figure out what I am going to
need from the mpc50 configuration, but any help with my uE250 confusion
would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Wilson-Lindberg

Secrecy, being an instrument of conspiracy, ought never to be the system of
a regular government. -Jeremy Bentham, jurist and philosopher (1748-1832)

* Re: [ECOS] 1st build of redboot
@ 2005-06-02  0:32 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-06-02  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Lindberg; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 16:10 -0700, Greg Lindberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm just getting started with Redboot and ecos.  I trying to build an
> existing version of redboot before starting on porting it to the custom
> hardware that we're using for our product.  I downloaded the
> ecos-installer.sh script and ran that and after trying to configure for an
> intel xscale pxa processor, I pulled the latest code from cvs and copied it
> on top of the tree that the installer created.  I then was able to configure
> for the uE250 board.  I got some warnings and then a failure during the
> compile as follows:

Use the anonymous CVS tree (instead of the hodge-podge you have).  These
problems will vanish.

* RE: [ECOS] 1st build of redboot
@ 2005-06-02 22:11       ` Greg Lindberg
From: Greg Lindberg @ 2005-06-02 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Gary,

Thanks, now I understand what was happening.  The Redboot page says to get
'ecos' and then proceeds to tell you how to use the ecosconfig program,
which isn't pulled.  I'll go back and pull the full tree.

Greg

* RE: [ECOS] 1st build of redboot
@ 2005-06-02 21:48     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-06-02 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Lindberg; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 11:41 -0700, Greg Lindberg wrote:
> Sorry about the reply.
>
> I tried what you suggested and the ecosconfig program does not exist in the
> resulting tree.  I had run configure, make and make install on the cvs tree
> initially and had not found the ecosconfig program which is why I had gone
> to the ecos installer.
>
> As far as trying to improve the documentation, I am new to the Redboot and
> eCos environment.  If I can't figure out how to do the initial install of
> the tools because the documentation leaves out important pieces, I'm not
> going to be able to get to the point where I can contribute any useful
> suggestions.  It appears to me, from my experience, that the documentation
> should say that you have to go through the ecos install to get the tools
> before trying to install the redboot cvs code.  If there is a way to pull
> from cvs and generate the tools, I haven't been able to figure out how to do
> it.  I've run configure and make & make install in several ways on a cvs
> tree and have not been able to find the ecosconfig program that is then
> necessary to configure the code to produce a version of the Redboot loader.
> It's possible that I've missed something, so any help is still appreciated.

When you did the checkout, what module did you use?  To get the tools,
I always checkout 'ecos-full', e.g.
  % cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos co ecos-full

If you just checkout 'ecos' you get a rather minimal tree.  If you
want to add the tools to an already checked out tree, just use:
  % cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos co ecos-host

> Greg

* RE: [ECOS] 1st build of redboot
@ 2005-06-02 18:37   ` Greg Lindberg
From: Greg Lindberg @ 2005-06-02 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Sorry about the reply.

I tried what you suggested and the ecosconfig program does not exist in the
resulting tree.  I had run configure, make and make install on the cvs tree
initially and had not found the ecosconfig program which is why I had gone
to the ecos installer.

As far as trying to improve the documentation, I am new to the Redboot and
eCos environment.  If I can't figure out how to do the initial install of
the tools because the documentation leaves out important pieces, I'm not
going to be able to get to the point where I can contribute any useful
suggestions.  It appears to me, from my experience, that the documentation
should say that you have to go through the ecos install to get the tools
before trying to install the redboot cvs code.  If there is a way to pull
from cvs and generate the tools, I haven't been able to figure out how to do
it.  I've run configure and make & make install in several ways on a cvs
tree and have not been able to find the ecosconfig program that is then
necessary to configure the code to produce a version of the Redboot loader.
It's possible that I've missed something, so any help is still appreciated.

Greg

* RE: [ECOS] 1st build of redboot
       [not found] <MPEAJFOFNNOAIMOHBACIIEHDDPAA.gl4jalopi@earthlink.net>
@ 2005-06-02 16:18 ` Gary Thomas