* [ECOS] Redboot Image Download Design Question.
@ 2005-07-18  5:47 Benny Chen
From: Benny Chen @ 2005-07-18  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi there,
I am trying to achieve the ability for our application to define what
image and on which server Redboot is going to download the image from.

1).
What I have in mind was a simple config file that specifies the load
information that will be created by my application and store in the
JFFS2 partition.

Then I will add a custom command in Redboot say 'exec_cust_config' to
  -mount the jffs2,
  -exit if no config file else
  -read and parse this file
  -load the images from the specified location and server.
  -Delete the old ramdisk and zImage from flash
  -burn the new images into flash
  -remove the config file
  -umount the jffs2 partition.

This 'exec_cust_config' command will be added to the boot script. E.g.
    >>exec_cust_config
    >>fis load ramdisk
       .
       .
    >>exec -r 0x800000

2).
The other option is to have the ramdisk.gz and zImage download by the
application and stored in another JFFS2 partition and have redboot mount
that partition and download the image into ram and execute it.

Does this way require a lot more runtime memory due to mounting the
additional JFFS2 partition?

I am not sure if which of the above possible solutions is the right way
of doing what I am trying to do or even if they will work.  Could anyone
help?

Regards,
Benny

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot Image Download Design Question.
@ 2005-07-19 22:01 ` Benny Chen
From: Benny Chen @ 2005-07-19 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

After some prototyping I have managed to add a new component command to
Redboot which executes a program that reads a config file (in Battery
Backed SRAM for now) and executes command to load images from the
appropriate server.  It seems that method 1 is quite straight forward.
However, as I haven't got JFFS2 support I can't really test the rest of
the JFFS2 related stuff.

Will post on the list once I have tested the complete solution out.

Cheers,
Benny