* [ECOS] Redboot ROM image using RAM?
@ 2005-07-25 16:03 Don Osburn
From: Don Osburn @ 2005-07-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Greetings, and I hope this is the correct group this time...

We have a new custom board we are attempting to bring up and are having some
difficulty with Redboot.  Our design is intel IXP425 reference with the
following exceptions.  We are using an IXP420 with an LXT971A PHY attached
to ethernet 0 only.  (The ref design has LXT972A attached to ethernet 0 and
ethernet1 on an IXP425.)

We have successfully burned redboot into flash and can boot.  The problem is
we can not understand where / how to load the snapgear images into flash to
boot linux.

I am using the NPE-enabled binaries for Redboot v2.01.  I use the
redboot_ROM.bin file from the ixdp425 directory and burn it into Intel
strata_flash.  It boots with a warning about NPE A.  Not sure about that
warning, but I can do an fconfig and fis init and everything looks fine.
(The warning may be do to the PHY difference.)

At this point I do a
RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x01600000 zImage
and it works.  However, when I attempt a
RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x00800000 ramdisk.gz

The processor hangs.  After poking around in memory for a while, we are
pretty confident that what is happening is redboot is using memory around
0x00800000 to run itself.  So, when we attempt to write to that area in RAM,
we are stomping on the bootloader. (?)  Why is that?  Our understanding was
if you loaded the ROM image, it should not use RAM?

We are having great difficulty understanding the documentation on this.
What is the difference between the ROM and the RAM images?  Also, when we
attempted to burn / load the RAM image, it doesn't work at all.

I have been loading images into an Avila eval board for some time with no
issues, so I am familiar with the process.  However, I have not done any
customization to RedBoot on that board.

Can someone please explain the difference between the ROM and RAM images for
the IXDP425 reference, and hopefully provide some more information on how we
should be using this?  Our hope was to use the IXDP425 reference bootloader
for initial startup, and then customize it later (to reduce memory, etc).
FYI, we have read/reviewed all the Intel app notes, and the RedBoot
websites.  Any help would be appreciated.

Don Osburn
Lead Engineer
Isco International
847-391-9481

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot ROM image using RAM?
@ 2005-07-25 16:38 ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-07-25 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: don.osburn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 11:04 -0500, Don Osburn wrote:
> Greetings, and I hope this is the correct group this time...
>
> We have a new custom board we are attempting to bring up and are having some
> difficulty with Redboot.  Our design is intel IXP425 reference with the
> following exceptions.  We are using an IXP420 with an LXT971A PHY attached
> to ethernet 0 only.  (The ref design has LXT972A attached to ethernet 0 and
> ethernet1 on an IXP425.)
>
> We have successfully burned redboot into flash and can boot.  The problem is
> we can not understand where / how to load the snapgear images into flash to
> boot linux.
>
> I am using the NPE-enabled binaries for Redboot v2.01.  I use the
> redboot_ROM.bin file from the ixdp425 directory and burn it into Intel
> strata_flash.  It boots with a warning about NPE A.  Not sure about that
> warning, but I can do an fconfig and fis init and everything looks fine.
> (The warning may be do to the PHY difference.)
>
> At this point I do a
> RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x01600000 zImage
> and it works.  However, when I attempt a
> RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x00800000 ramdisk.gz
>
> The processor hangs.  After poking around in memory for a while, we are
> pretty confident that what is happening is redboot is using memory around
> 0x00800000 to run itself.  So, when we attempt to write to that area in RAM,
> we are stomping on the bootloader. (?)  Why is that?  Our understanding was
> if you loaded the ROM image, it should not use RAM?

RedBoot is mostly C code, so of course it uses RAM. The startup banner
which RedBoot prints will tell you what RAM area is available for the
user. For IXDP425, I see:

RAM: 0x00000000-0x10000000, [0x00029888-0x0ffd1000] available

This tells me that 0x00029888-0x0ffd1000 is not being used by RedBoot.
If RedBoot is indeed using RAM in this area, then it is a bug. I would
make sure that the zImage and ramdisk.gz files actually fit into the
available RAM area without overrunning into RAM used by RedBoot.

> We are having great difficulty understanding the documentation on this.
> What is the difference between the ROM and the RAM images?  Also, when we
> attempted to burn / load the RAM image, it doesn't work at all.

ROM RedBoot is located in and runs from ROM (although it also uses RAM
for .data, .bss, etc).

RAM RedBoot is meant to be loaded into and run from RAM.

ROMRAM RedBoot is located in ROM, but copies itself into RAM and
thereafter executes from RAM exclusively.

--Mark

* [ECOS] Where is hal_platform_extras ?
@ 2005-07-26 14:40   ` Don Osburn
From: Don Osburn @ 2005-07-26 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark Salter'; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Mark,

Thanks for the response.

I think our problem has to do with our memory config.  I am attempting to
rebuild redboot to customize it but am not finding everything in the docs.
I have found the SDRAM #defines in
/packages/hal/arm/xscale/isdp425/current/include/ixdp425.h.  However, the
Intel app note "Intel IXP4XX Product Line of Network Processors: Customizing
RedBoot*", section 5.4.2 says "Also note that the values must match the page
table in file ixdp425/current/include/hal_platform_extras."  I can not find
hal_platform_extras anywhere in the source tree.

Can you tell me where this is?

Regards,
Don

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 11:04 -0500, Don Osburn wrote:
> Greetings, and I hope this is the correct group this time...
>
> We have a new custom board we are attempting to bring up and are having
some
> difficulty with Redboot.  Our design is intel IXP425 reference with the
> following exceptions.  We are using an IXP420 with an LXT971A PHY attached
> to ethernet 0 only.  (The ref design has LXT972A attached to ethernet 0
and
> ethernet1 on an IXP425.)
>
> We have successfully burned redboot into flash and can boot.  The problem
is
> we can not understand where / how to load the snapgear images into flash
> boot linux.
>
> I am using the NPE-enabled binaries for Redboot v2.01.  I use the
> redboot_ROM.bin file from the ixdp425 directory and burn it into Intel
> strata_flash.  It boots with a warning about NPE A.  Not sure about that
> warning, but I can do an fconfig and fis init and everything looks fine.
> (The warning may be do to the PHY difference.)
>
> At this point I do a
> RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x01600000 zImage
> and it works.  However, when I attempt a
> RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x00800000 ramdisk.gz
>
> The processor hangs.  After poking around in memory for a while, we are
> pretty confident that what is happening is redboot is using memory around
> 0x00800000 to run itself.  So, when we attempt to write to that area in
RAM,
> we are stomping on the bootloader. (?)  Why is that?  Our understanding
was
> if you loaded the ROM image, it should not use RAM?

RedBoot is mostly C code, so of course it uses RAM. The startup banner
which RedBoot prints will tell you what RAM area is available for the
user. For IXDP425, I see:

RAM: 0x00000000-0x10000000, [0x00029888-0x0ffd1000] available

This tells me that 0x00029888-0x0ffd1000 is not being used by RedBoot.
If RedBoot is indeed using RAM in this area, then it is a bug. I would
make sure that the zImage and ramdisk.gz files actually fit into the
available RAM area without overrunning into RAM used by RedBoot.

> We are having great difficulty understanding the documentation on this.
> What is the difference between the ROM and the RAM images?  Also, when we
> attempted to burn / load the RAM image, it doesn't work at all.

ROM RedBoot is located in and runs from ROM (although it also uses RAM
for .data, .bss, etc).

RAM RedBoot is meant to be loaded into and run from RAM.

ROMRAM RedBoot is located in ROM, but copies itself into RAM and
thereafter executes from RAM exclusively.

--Mark

* [ECOS] Re: Where is hal_platform_extras ?
@ 2005-07-26 15:06     ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-07-26 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: don.osburn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 09:41 -0500, Don Osburn wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I think our problem has to do with our memory config.  I am attempting to
> rebuild redboot to customize it but am not finding everything in the docs.
> I have found the SDRAM #defines in
> /packages/hal/arm/xscale/isdp425/current/include/ixdp425.h.  However, the
> Intel app note "Intel IXP4XX Product Line of Network Processors: Customizing
> RedBoot*", section 5.4.2 says "Also note that the values must match the page
> table in file ixdp425/current/include/hal_platform_extras."  I can not find
> hal_platform_extras anywhere in the source tree.
>
> Can you tell me where this is?

The Intel doc is out of date. The page table setup is now done in
hal_platform_setup.h and uses the SDRAM defines so that you only
have to change ixdp425.h.

--Mark

* [ECOS] Can not get redboot to load / run linux binaries on IXP420
@ 2005-07-26 17:47       ` Don Osburn
From: Don Osburn @ 2005-07-26 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark Salter'; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Frank Mancuso (E-mail)

Mark,

Thanks again for the help so far.  I am really stumped.  I can not get
redboot to load / run linux on our platform.  I have tried a number of
things with no luck.  Can you or someone help out (please)?

Here's my config;  I am using Redboot v2.01.  Our platform is an IXP420 with
32MB RAM.

I originally used the redboot_ROM.bin image from the npe_enable_bin/ixdp425
directory to boot our platform.  It booted properly (even though we only
have 32MB of RAM).  I then attempted a

>load -r -v -b 0x01600000 zImage
which worked fine.  Then I attempted a
>load -r -v -b 0x00800000 ramdisk.gz
which would hang up every time.  It appeared like the problem was that the
load was writing to RAM being used by redboot, and that was causing it to
hang.

Since I knew we had a different memory config, I rebuilt redboot, modifying
the ixdp425.h file's SDRAM configs.  Specifically, I changed the following
#defines;

#define SDRAM_SIZE                         0x2000000  // 32MB
#define IXP425_SDRAM_CONFIG_INIT  (SDRAM_CONFIG_CAS_3 |
SDRAM_CONFIG_4x16Mx16)

I used the SDRAM_CONFIG_4x16Mx16 because we determined from chapter 7 of the
developer's manual that we needed to set the SDRAM config register to 0x11.
The rebuild worked, and I was able to update the redboot image successfully.

Unfortunately, when I attempted to load the linux images, I got the exact
same result as before.  zImage would load fine, but ramdisk.gz would hang

At this point, I decided to try something different.  The ramdisk.gz image
will load if I put it somewhere else.  Therefore, I did the following:

>load -r -v -b 0x01600000 zImage
>fis create -b 0x01600000 -l 0xc0000 -e 0x00800000 -r 0x01600000 zimage
>load -r -v -b 0x1000000 ramdisk.gz
>fis create -b 0x1000000 -l 0x2e0000 -e 0x00800000 -r 0x1000000 ramdisk
>fis load zimage
>fis load ramdisk
>exec -b 0x01600000

This time the kernel started to boot, but then it failed stating it could
not find a ramdisk at location 0.  Given that, I reloaded the images and
this time did a
>exec -b 0x01600000 -l 0x2e0000 -r 0x100000 -x 0x2e0000
and received the exact same results.  The kernel started, then died when it
could not find a ramdisk a location 0.

There is one last thing we attempted.  We found a note in a mini-howto
document that said for Redboot version 2.01, you are supposed to use
0x11600000 and 0x10800000 instead of 0x01600000 and 0x00800000 respectively.
I attempted the load using these values and got similar results.  (It would
hang during the load.)

At this point I am totally stumped.  How am I supposed to load the zImage
and ramdisk.gz images into my IXP420 board?  How do I get linux up and
running on this board using Redboot?

Help would be greatly appreciated.  This is grinding our project to a halt.

TIA,
Don

* Re: [ECOS] Can not get redboot to load / run linux binaries on IXP420
@ 2005-07-26 17:59         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-07-26 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: don.osburn; +Cc: 'Mark Salter', eCos Discussion, Frank Mancuso (E-mail)

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 12:48 -0500, Don Osburn wrote:
> [...]
> not find a ramdisk at location 0.  Given that, I reloaded the images and
> this time did a
> >exec -b 0x01600000 -l 0x2e0000 -r 0x100000 -x 0x2e0000
> and received the exact same results.  The kernel started, then died when it
> could not find a ramdisk a location 0.
>
> There is one last thing we attempted.  We found a note in a mini-howto
> document that said for Redboot version 2.01, you are supposed to use
> 0x11600000 and 0x10800000 instead of 0x01600000 and 0x00800000 respectively.
> I attempted the load using these values and got similar results.  (It would
> hang during the load.)
>
> At this point I am totally stumped.  How am I supposed to load the zImage
> and ramdisk.gz images into my IXP420 board?  How do I get linux up and
> running on this board using Redboot?
>
> Help would be greatly appreciated.  This is grinding our project to a halt.

Are you sure that your memory is actually working as planned?
It sounds to me like you're getting some reflections when you
put things at 0x800000 and this is overwriting memory used by
RedBoot (which will be in low RAM and is documented when you
boot)

I'd try running a memory test like the one at:
  .../ecos/packages/hal/arm/edb7xxx/current/tests/dram_test.c

* Re: [ECOS] Can not get redboot to load / run linux binaries on IXP420
@ 2005-07-26 18:43           ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-07-26 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: don.osburn, eCos Discussion, Frank Mancuso (E-mail)

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 11:59 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> [...]
> > could not find a ramdisk a location 0.
> >
> > There is one last thing we attempted.  We found a note in a mini-howto
> > document that said for Redboot version 2.01, you are supposed to use
> > 0x11600000 and 0x10800000 instead of 0x01600000 and 0x00800000 respectively.
> > I attempted the load using these values and got similar results.  (It would
> > hang during the load.)
> >
> > At this point I am totally stumped.  How am I supposed to load the zImage
> > and ramdisk.gz images into my IXP420 board?  How do I get linux up and
> > running on this board using Redboot?
> >
> > Help would be greatly appreciated.  This is grinding our project to a halt.
>
> Are you sure that your memory is actually working as planned?
> It sounds to me like you're getting some reflections when you
> put things at 0x800000 and this is overwriting memory used by
> RedBoot (which will be in low RAM and is documented when you

My thoughts also. Specifically, SDRAM_CONFIG_4x16Mx16 indicates
128MiB to me. The GRG has 32MiB and uses SDRAM_CONFIG_2x8Mx16
for its config.

--Mark

* RE: [ECOS] Can not get redboot to load / run linux binaries onIXP420
@ 2005-07-29 13:47             ` Don Osburn
From: Don Osburn @ 2005-07-29 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark Salter', 'Gary Thomas'
  Cc: 'eCos Discussion', 'Frank Mancuso (E-mail)'

Got it, and thanks to everyone for the help.

The problem turned out to be initializing the SDRAM we are using in our
configuration.  Turns out we had to set bit 5 for our SDRAM.  As in;

#define IXP425_SDRAM_CONFIG_INIT  ( 0x30 | SDRAM_CONFIG_CAS_3 |
SDRAM_CONFIG_4x16Mx16 )

We now have the OS loading / booting.

Thanks again.
Don

@ 2005-07-29 14:03               ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-07-29 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: don.osburn
  Cc: 'Gary Thomas', 'eCos Discussion',
	'Frank Mancuso (E-mail)'

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 08:48 -0500, Don Osburn wrote:
> Got it, and thanks to everyone for the help.
>
> The problem turned out to be initializing the SDRAM we are using in our
> configuration.  Turns out we had to set bit 5 for our SDRAM.  As in;
>
> #define IXP425_SDRAM_CONFIG_INIT  ( 0x30 | SDRAM_CONFIG_CAS_3 |
> SDRAM_CONFIG_4x16Mx16 )
>
> We now have the OS loading / booting.

Interesting. You're setting both bit 4 and bit 5. In my manual, bit
4 is set for 3 cycle RAS latency and bit 5 is marked as reserved...

--Mark