* [ECOS] Building redboot ROM image
@ 2005-08-15 18:56 Harish Kulkarni
From: Harish Kulkarni @ 2005-08-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

Having tuff time with rom based redboot image, please
redirect me to mem-map file and section of code which
does copy from rom to ram?

Just by coping data section from rom to ram is
suffient?

PS: Prefer it to be specific to leon.

-Thanks
Harish

* Re: [ECOS] Building redboot ROM image
@ 2005-08-15 19:02 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-08-15 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harish Kulkarni; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 19:55 +0100, Harish Kulkarni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Having tuff time with rom based redboot image, please
> redirect me to mem-map file and section of code which
> does copy from rom to ram?
>
> Just by coping data section from rom to ram is
> suffient?
>
> PS: Prefer it to be specific to leon.

In general, you'll need to select ROMRAM startup, not just ROM.
ROM mode programs execute code directly from ROM (FLASH) and
are not copied into RAM.

* Re: [ECOS] Building redboot ROM image
@ 2005-08-16  6:37   ` Harish Kulkarni
From: Harish Kulkarni @ 2005-08-16  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Thanks Gary Thomas,

In leon code we found only the data section is copied
from ROM to RAM in ROM type start-up, which means rest
of all the sections including vectors, text will get
space in ROM and will not get relocated.

Relocating from ROM to RAM, including vectors, text,
and other sections would reduce the execution time
required, which is a MUST.

Is the approach of relocating sections (all) from ROM
to RAM is generic or specific to processor OR board we
use? ( other then changes mem-maps).

If it's generic could you redirect me to such a piece
of code, which is written and implemented for eCos
porting, i prefer it to be specific to leon.

Harish

@ 2005-08-16 12:32     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-08-16 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harish Kulkarni; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 07:37 +0100, Harish Kulkarni wrote:
> Thanks Gary Thomas,
>
> In leon code we found only the data section is copied
> from ROM to RAM in ROM type start-up, which means rest
> of all the sections including vectors, text will get
> space in ROM and will not get relocated.
>
> Relocating from ROM to RAM, including vectors, text,
> and other sections would reduce the execution time
> required, which is a MUST.
>
> Is the approach of relocating sections (all) from ROM
> to RAM is generic or specific to processor OR board we
> use? ( other then changes mem-maps).
>
> If it's generic could you redirect me to such a piece
> of code, which is written and implemented for eCos
> porting, i prefer it to be specific to leon.

Support for ROMRAM is platform specific I'm afraid.  You could
look at some other platforms to see how it's done there.  Sadly,
there are no SPARC platforms which use this, so you'll have to
look elsewhere (ARM, PowerPC and MIPS all support this mode).