* [ECOS] Should there be conflicts in a template of an EcosPro release?
@ 2005-09-14  5:18 Andrew Voelkel
From: Andrew Voelkel @ 2005-09-14  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, ecos-discuss

This is a newbie question. I am trying to figure out why there are disabled
(grayed out) text boxes in the ConfigTool when I open the Redboot template
of an EcosPro release. I'm guessing it has something to do with resolving
conflicts, and indeed when I open the template it complains about unresolved
conflicts. So I am about to teach myself how to diagnose such things.

But it occurs to me that maybe there shouldn't be conflicts in a template
for a commercial product such as EcosPro, delivered for a specific eval
board. Is this an expected state of affairs?

My immediate goal is to enter a default IP address for Redboot, but I can't
get there from here.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Andy Voelkel
Al Mann Foundation

* [ECOS] Should there be conflicts in a template of an EcosPro release?
@ 2005-09-14  7:18 ` Andrew Voelkel
From: Andrew Voelkel @ 2005-09-14  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, ecos-discuss

This is a newbie question. I am trying to figure out why there are disabled
(grayed out) text boxes in the ConfigTool when I open the Redboot template
of an EcosPro release. I'm guessing it has something to do with resolving
conflicts, and indeed when I open the template it complains about unresolved
conflicts. So I am about to teach myself how to diagnose such things.

But it occurs to me that maybe there shouldn't be conflicts in a template
for a commercial product such as EcosPro, delivered for a specific eval
board. Is this an expected state of affairs?

My immediate goal is to enter a default IP address for Redboot, but I can't
get there from here.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Andy Voelkel
Al Mann Foundation

* Re: [ECOS] Should there be conflicts in a template of an EcosPro release?
@ 2005-09-14 15:24 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-09-14 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Voelkel; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 22:07 -0700, Andrew Voelkel wrote:
> This is a newbie question. I am trying to figure out why there are disabled
> (grayed out) text boxes in the ConfigTool when I open the Redboot template
> of an EcosPro release. I'm guessing it has something to do with resolving
> conflicts, and indeed when I open the template it complains about unresolved
> conflicts. So I am about to teach myself how to diagnose such things.
>
> But it occurs to me that maybe there shouldn't be conflicts in a template
> for a commercial product such as EcosPro, delivered for a specific eval
> board. Is this an expected state of affairs?
>
> My immediate goal is to enter a default IP address for Redboot, but I can't
> get there from here.

What you are observing is not conflicts, but most likely
packages/options with unsatisfied prerequisites.  When you
create a configuration with the RedBoot template, that only
gets you the minimum set of packages.  In particular, not
all RedBoot target environments will have FLASH or networking
devices, so those [major] packages are not part of the minimal
template.

In order to set the default IP address in the configuration,
first you need to have network support.  Try adding the
'ethernet device driver' and those other options will now
become available to you.

* RE: [ECOS] Should there be conflicts in a template of an EcosProrelease?
@ 2005-09-15  6:45   ` Andrew Voelkel
From: Andrew Voelkel @ 2005-09-15  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

It isn't as simple as adding Ethernet drivers. The Ethernet driver packages
are already included in the EcosPro Redboot template.

And the "conflicts" don't seem to be missing packages as far as I can tell,
rather they are certain configuration item settings that seem to be needed.

So I am still mystified as to why so many configuration items are inactive.

But I really don't understand the inner workings well enough yet. I guess
there is no free lunch. Time to read.

- Andy

@ 2005-09-15  7:32     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-09-15  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Voelkel; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 22:17 -0700, Andrew Voelkel wrote:
> It isn't as simple as adding Ethernet drivers. The Ethernet driver packages
> are already included in the EcosPro Redboot template.
>
> And the "conflicts" don't seem to be missing packages as far as I can tell,
> rather they are certain configuration item settings that seem to be needed.
>
> So I am still mystified as to why so many configuration items are inactive.
>
> But I really don't understand the inner workings well enough yet. I guess
> there is no free lunch. Time to read.

It's not the drivers, but the network infrastructure that needs to be
added.  I'm sure you'll find that CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS is not in your
configuration.  Once you add that, the specific drivers will become
active and then the options within RedBoot will come alive as well.

@ 2005-09-15 10:19       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-09-15 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Voelkel; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 11:59:17PM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 22:17 -0700, Andrew Voelkel wrote:
> > It isn't as simple as adding Ethernet drivers. The Ethernet driver packages
> > are already included in the EcosPro Redboot template.
> >
> > And the "conflicts" don't seem to be missing packages as far as I can tell,
> > rather they are certain configuration item settings that seem to be needed.
> >
> > So I am still mystified as to why so many configuration items are inactive.
> >
> > But I really don't understand the inner workings well enough yet. I guess
> > there is no free lunch. Time to read.

I find it best to read the ecos.ecc file. It will tell you why a
specific option is disabled. eg taking a random example:

# <
# Synthetic FLASH memory support
# FLASH memory device support for Synthetic target
#
cdl_package CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_SYNTH {
    # Packages cannot be added or removed, nor can their version be changed,
    # simply by editing their value. Instead the appropriate configuration
    # should be used to perform these actions.

    # This option is not active
    # ActiveIf constraint: CYGPKG_IO_FLASH
    #     CYGPKG_IO_FLASH (unknown) == 0
    #   --> 0

    # This value cannot be modified here.
    # Flavor: booldata
    # Current value: 1 current
    # Requires: CYGINT_ISO_ERRNO_CODES
    #     CYGINT_ISO_ERRNO_CODES == 1
    #   --> 1
};

As you can see this option is not active, so in the GUI it will be
grayed out. But you can also see that it is not active because it
requires CYGPKG_IO_FLASH which is unknown. You can also see that it
requires CYGINT_ISO_ERRNO_CODES, which is known and has a value of 1.
So just adding CYGYPKG_IO_FLASH will enable this package.

        Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] Should there be conflicts in a template of an EcosProrelease?
@ 2005-09-15 19:17       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-09-15 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Voelkel; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 23:59 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 22:17 -0700, Andrew Voelkel wrote:
> > It isn't as simple as adding Ethernet drivers. The Ethernet driver packages
> > are already included in the EcosPro Redboot template.
> >
> > And the "conflicts" don't seem to be missing packages as far as I can tell,
> > rather they are certain configuration item settings that seem to be needed.
> >
> > So I am still mystified as to why so many configuration items are inactive.
> >
> > But I really don't understand the inner workings well enough yet. I guess
> > there is no free lunch. Time to read.
> >

> It's not the drivers, but the network infrastructure that needs to be
> added.  I'm sure you'll find that CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS is not in your
> configuration.  Once you add that, the specific drivers will become
> active and then the options within RedBoot will come alive as well.

Also, don't forget that configuring RedBoot for a platform is normally
done in two steps - set up the basic target using the redboot template
and importing the target specific details from a .ecm file.

Try looking at how it's done (via the command line, but the actions are
the same for the config tool) for a public platform:

  % ecosconfig new viper redboot
  % ecosconfig import ${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/powerpc/viper/current/misc/redboot_ROMRAM.ecm
  % ecosconfig tree

The first step uses the *template* to establish the basic setup,
packages, etc.  The second step imports and additional packages, in
this case at least CYGPKG_IO_FLASH and CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS, that are
to be used in this configuration.  The last step finalizes the
configuration and creates the build tree.  A simple 'make' command
completes the process.

I'm sure that your eCosPro distribution has something like this for
your platform as well.