* [ECOS] Re: eCos library build error
       [not found] <506277.28300.qm@web52509.mail.re2.yahoo.com>
@ 2009-08-17  7:31 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-08-17  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: az cards; +Cc: eCos Discussion

az cards wrote:

>> The error you are observing suggests that you may be using
>> an old
>> version of the eCos Configuration Tool. Is it possible that
>> you have an
>> old version of configtool.exe on your computer that is
>> being accessed
>> instead of the version provided with eCos 3.0? What is the
>> version
>> number and build date shown in the Help->About... dialog
>> box?
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> It is showing 2.11 and I directly downloaded this one from the
> eCos archive. The one that came with eCos install is 3.0
> (/cygwin/opt/ecos/ecos-3.0/tools/bin) but it is crashing with
> stack dump whenever I try to select a dialog box such as "save
> as" or "open" to load existing ecos.ecc.

I have received no other reports of problems with the file open/save
dialog boxes when using eCos Configuration Tool 3.0. Which version of
Windows are you using?

John Dallaway

* [ECOS] Re: eCos library build error
@ 2009-08-17 18:12   ` az cards
From: az cards @ 2009-08-17 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: eCos Discussion

I'm using Vista.

@ 2009-08-27  7:47   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-08-27  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: az cards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

az cards wrote:

> I hacked all the makefiles (dozens) by replacing "/ecos-c" with
> "/cygdrive/c" using configtool 2.11 since I cannot get configtool
> 3.0 to work (file open & save as keep stack dumping).

The fact that the common dialog boxes are working for you in configtool
2.11 but not in configtool 3.0 suggests an issue with your Cygwin
installation. configtool 2.11 does not use Cygwin directly.

Check that you are using an up-to-date Cygwin installation. Certain
older Cygwin tools have known issues with Vista.

John Dallaway

* [ECOS] Re: eCos library build error
       [not found] <951880.18693.qm@web52511.mail.re2.yahoo.com>
@ 2009-08-27  5:50 ` az cards
From: az cards @ 2009-08-27  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john; +Cc: ecos-discuss

I'm finally able to build libtarget.a!!

I hacked all the makefiles (dozens) by replacing "/ecos-c" with "/cygdrive/c" using configtool 2.11 since I cannot get configtool 3.0 to work (file open & save as keep stack dumping).

I also ran into another nuisance where build was failing with "permission denied" for chmod on some files in ecos_install/include/pkgconf folder. For some reason, configtool saved these files with no user/group/other r/w/x access. I manually tried to chmod these files and got the same permission denied error. I had to use Vista's security to change to full control for user for all these files and then chmod worked.

On to building application now... and tackle more strange issues :)

From: John Dallaway @ 2009-08-16 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: az cards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

az cards wrote:

> I'm new to eCos and trying build it for i386 PC target (vm ware)
>
> I have installed cygwin and ecos following the instructions on the eCos web
> site.
>
> I'm using eCos' windows configuration tool.
>
> I selected i386 PC target template and default package. My build tools path
> is pointing to C:\cygwin\opt\ecos\gnutools\i386-elf\bin.
>
> I have created a build folder c:\workdir where I saved the ecos.ecc and the
> config tool successfully created both the build and install trees.
>
> However, when I try to build the libtarget.a, "build library" fails right
> away with following message:
>
> make -j2 --directory "/ecos-c/workdir/ecos/ecos_build"
> make: *** /ecos-c/workdir/ecos/ecos_build: No such file or directory. Stop.
>
> I'm suspecting there is a path conversion problem between windows and unix.
> Is /ecos-c a mounted drive? When I type mount in the cygwin window, I get
> following:
>
> $ mount
> C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (textmode)
> C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (textmode)
> c:\cygwin\tmp on /tmp type user (binmode)
> C:\cygwin on / type system (textmode)
> c: on /cygdrive/c type system (textmode,noumount)
> d: on /cygdrive/d type system (textmode,noumount)
>
> It doesn't show /ecos-c as a mount...

Old versions of the Windows-hosted eCos Configuration Tool create
text-mode Cygwin mounts such as /ecos-c to workaround problems with very
old GNU tools. Such workarounds have not been necessary for many years
and you should now use /cygdrive/c rather than /ecos-c when referring to
logical drive C:.