* ICE support
@ 1998-11-09 19:35 Kenneth Porter
       [not found] ` < 199811100334.WAA18448@hil-img-ims-2.compuserve.com >
From: Kenneth Porter @ 1998-11-09 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discuss

Have any ICE vendors indicated support for eCos, probably under gdb?
I'd want a high-end ICE with real-time trace, not just the more-common
BDM debugger.

Kenneth Porter
Kensington Laboratories, Inc.
mailto:kenneth_porter@kensingtonlabs.com
http://www.kensingtonlabs.com

* ECOS Re: ICE support
       [not found] ` < 199811100334.WAA18448@hil-img-ims-2.compuserve.com >
@ 1998-11-18 13:30   ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 1998-11-18 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kenneth_porter; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Kenneth> Have any ICE vendors indicated support for eCos, probably
    Kenneth> under gdb? I'd want a high-end ICE with real-time trace,
    Kenneth> not just the more-common BDM debugger.

Generally anything related to debugging is a gdb issue rather than an
eCos issue. If gdb already has support for an existing ICE then
debugging an eCos-based application would not be any different than
debugging any other application. If gdb does not yet have support for
a particular ICE then the ICE vendor or the user can add this
themselves, since gdb is of course open source. Alternatively Cygnus
will provide porting services for gdb as we do for our other tools.

When hardware debug support is not available on a given board and
things like breakpoints have to be implemented in software, there is
an overlap between eCos, the gdb target-side stubs, and possibly the
ROM monitor. The exact details will depend on the target processor,
whether the system is configured for ROM or RAM start-up, etc.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer

* [ECOS] Re: ICE support
       [not found] ` < 199811100334.WAA18448@hil-img-ims-2.compuserve.com >
@ 1998-11-21 13:05   ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 1998-11-21 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

   From: "Kenneth Porter" <kenneth_porter@kensingtonlabs.com>
   Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:34:33 +0700

   Have any ICE vendors indicated support for eCos, probably under gdb?
   I'd want a high-end ICE with real-time trace, not just the more-common
   BDM debugger.

Bart did a good job of discussing the general issues, but to answer
the immediate question, no, we don't have any official announcements
of support.  However, I talked to several interested ICE vendors at
ESC West, and we're looking at ways for GDB to facilitate more/better
ICE support than it currently offers, so I expect we'll see some
things happening in the near future.

							Stan Shebs
							GDB Architect
							Cygnus Solutions