* [ECOS] Can I use libtarget.a as library for other environment
@ 1998-12-11  6:51 Masatomo Ouchi
       [not found] ` < 3670DA21.FE701860@cns.canon.co.jp >
From: Masatomo Ouchi @ 1998-12-11  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Folks,

I've registered in this mailing list recently,
so I don't know almost past posts
and I heard there is no archive yet,
so let me ask following issues.

libtarget.a can be used as library for other development tool?

I use "CodeWarrior for Embedded Systems(Targeting PowerPC)"
by Metrowerks on Windows NT.

I tryed to link libtarget.a made by eCos with other file
in CodeWarrior.

CoreWarrior said there are warning and errors.

 o warnings are following section is unknown and the section ignored.
    .stab
    .stbstr

 o errors are following is undefined

  __udivdi3
  hal_interrupt_handlers
  hal_interrupt_data
  hal_interrupt_objects
  hal_vsr_table
  __CTOR_END__
  __CTOR_LIST__

Q.1  To begin with, my trial is legal and possible ?
Q.2  If yes, what must I do?
       Are there other objects to be linked ?
--
  oouchi@cns.canon.co.jp

* [ECOS] Re: Can I use libtarget.a as library for other environment
       [not found] ` < 3670DA21.FE701860@cns.canon.co.jp >
@ 1998-12-14  3:43   ` Bart Veer
       [not found]     ` < 199812121926.TAA29611@sheesh.cygnus.co.uk >
From: Bart Veer @ 1998-12-14  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oouchi; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    oouchi> libtarget.a can be used as library for other development
    oouchi> tool?

    oouchi> I use "CodeWarrior for Embedded Systems(Targeting
    oouchi> PowerPC)" by Metrowerks on Windows NT.

    oouchi> I tryed to link libtarget.a made by eCos with other file
    oouchi> in CodeWarrior.

    oouchi> CoreWarrior said there are warning and errors.

    oouchi>  o warnings are following section is unknown and the
    oouchi> section ignored. .stab .stbstr

    oouchi>  o errors are following is undefined

    oouchi>   __udivdi3 hal_interrupt_handlers hal_interrupt_data
    oouchi> hal_interrupt_objects hal_vsr_table __CTOR_END__
    oouchi> __CTOR_LIST__

    oouchi> Q.1 To begin with, my trial is legal and possible ? Q.2 If
    oouchi> yes, what must I do? Are there other objects to be linked?

We do not expect application developers to use any specific
development environment, such decisions should be left to the
individual developer. However we do require that the underlying tools
used to develop applications, in particular the compiler and the
linker, provide certain basic functionality. Suitable tools are freely
available on the sourceware ftp site.

At a guess, the warnings about .stab and .stbstr probably mean that
the wrong linker is being invoked. The errors about undefined symbols
definitely mean that the linker is not being invoked with the correct
arguments, in particular the generated linker script target.ld is not
being used. The eCos documentation makes it clear what options need to
be passed to the linker.

I have never used CodeWarrior and know very little about its
capabilities. I would hope that it provides functionality such as
specifying which linker gets used and how it gets invoked, but I
cannot speak for Metroworks.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Can I use libtarget.a as library for other environment
       [not found]     ` < 199812121926.TAA29611@sheesh.cygnus.co.uk >
@ 1998-12-14 14:40       ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 1998-12-14 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv; +Cc: oouchi, ecos-discuss

   Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:26:31 GMT
   From: Bart Veer <bartv@cygnus.co.uk>

       oouchi> I use "CodeWarrior for Embedded Systems(Targeting
       oouchi> PowerPC)" by Metrowerks on Windows NT.

       oouchi> I tryed to link libtarget.a made by eCos with other file
       oouchi> in CodeWarrior.

       oouchi> CoreWarrior said there are warning and errors.

       oouchi>  o warnings are following section is unknown and the
       oouchi> section ignored. .stab .stbstr

   [...]

   At a guess, the warnings about .stab and .stbstr probably mean that
   the wrong linker is being invoked. The errors about undefined symbols
   definitely mean that the linker is not being invoked with the correct
   arguments, in particular the generated linker script target.ld is not
   being used. The eCos documentation makes it clear what options need to
   be passed to the linker.

I have a little knowledge in this area that I can pass on - the .stab
and .stabstr sections are for "stabs" debugging info, which is the
current default for GCC targeting PowerPC.  This information is of no
use to the Metrowerks system, so it doesn't matter that it's not
getting passed along, unless you're planning to use GDB for debugging.

However, it does raise a more troubling issue, which is that the
Metrowerks linker is not scriptable, which means that you don't have
very much control over its output, and that the important bits in
target.ld have no way to be represented.  There are other file
sections that cannot be so easily ignored, so even if you got things
to link, it's unlikely to run correctly.  One could probably get the
Metrowerks tools to work eventually, but I suspect it would be quite a
bit of work.

							Stan Shebs
							Cygnus Solutions
							shebs@cygnus.com