* [ECOS] Bug in eCos tools linker.
@ 1998-12-26 20:56 Sergei Organov
       [not found] ` < 87empo8mpk.fsf@osv.javad.ru >
From: Sergei Organov @ 1998-12-26 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello;

I found bug in the 'ld' provided in the eCos tools distribution
(in 'bfd' actually). The follwing command causes Segmentation fault
(file rtems.o is attached):

$ ppc-rtems-ld -r rtems.o -o test.rel

The patch attached fixes the problem (at least for me).

The problem is that 'bfd_get_section_by_name(dynobj, ...)' is called
with zero 'dynobj', I believe.

Regards,
Sergei Organov.

* Re: [ECOS] Bug in eCos tools linker.
       [not found] ` < 87empo8mpk.fsf@osv.javad.ru >
@ 1998-12-26 20:56   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1998-12-26 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: osv; +Cc: ecos-discuss

   From: Sergei Organov <osv@javad.ru>
   Date: 25 Dec 1998 14:50:31 +0300

   I found bug in the 'ld' provided in the eCos tools distribution
   (in 'bfd' actually). The follwing command causes Segmentation fault
   (file rtems.o is attached):

   $ ppc-rtems-ld -r rtems.o -o test.rel

   The patch attached fixes the problem (at least for me).

   The problem is that 'bfd_get_section_by_name(dynobj, ...)' is called
   with zero 'dynobj', I believe.

Thanks for the note.  The eCos bfd/ld/gas/binutils are a snapshot of
the GNU binutils.  If you are not a Cygnus support customer, the best
address for a bug report may be bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org.  That is the
address to use when reporting any bug in the GNU binutils.  It is a
mailing list read by many people, so please avoid sending huge test
cases to it.

The particular bug you mention has been fixed in the GNU binutils
development sources, and the fix will be in the next GNU binutils
release, whenever that is.

Ian

@ 1998-12-26 20:56   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 1998-12-26 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Organov; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 25-Dec-98 Sergei Organov wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I found bug in the 'ld' provided in the eCos tools distribution
> (in 'bfd' actually). The follwing command causes Segmentation fault
> (file rtems.o is attached):
>
> $ ppc-rtems-ld -r rtems.o -o test.rel
>
> The patch attached fixes the problem (at least for me).
>
> The problem is that 'bfd_get_section_by_name(dynobj, ...)' is called
> with zero 'dynobj', I believe.

The answers to a few questions will help with this:
  * Exactly what is 'ppc-rtems-ld' - i.e. how did you configure/make it?
  * How did you create 'rtems.o'?

In fact the problem may lie elsewhere and you've just found a way to
fix up the final [failing] symptom.

Gary Thomas                              |
Cygnus Solutions, U.K.                   | "Fine wine is a necessity of
35 Cambridge Place                       |        life for me"
Cambridge, CB2 1NS U.K.                  |
+44 1223 728 769                         |      Thomas Jefferson
email: gthomas@cygnus.co.uk              |
   ... opinions expressed here are mine  |
       and no one else would claim them! |