* [ECOS] eCos + Insight
@ 1999-09-24  9:45 Maurizio Martignano
From: Maurizio Martignano @ 1999-09-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello everybody,
	is it possible to integrate Insight, the graphical front end to GDB, with
one of the eCos GDBs, say for instance mips-tx39-elf-gdb?

TIA,
M. Martignano
Exor Intl.
mm@exor.it

* Re: [ECOS] eCos + Insight
@ 1999-09-24 13:45 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 1999-09-24 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maurizio Martignano; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Maurizio Martignano wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>         is it possible to integrate Insight, the graphical front end to GDB, with
> one of the eCos GDBs, say for instance mips-tx39-elf-gdb?

Yes, it should work just fine. GDB 4.18 with Insight included should be a
drop-in replacement for the mips-tx39-elf-gdb that comes with the eCos
tools.

Jifl
--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...

* Re: [ECOS] eCos + Insight
@ 1999-09-26  6:48   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 1999-09-26  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: mm, ecos-discuss

> > Hello everybody,
> >         is it possible to integrate Insight, the graphical front end to GDB, with
> > one of the eCos GDBs, say for instance mips-tx39-elf-gdb?
>
> Yes, it should work just fine. GDB 4.18 with Insight included should be a
> drop-in replacement for the mips-tx39-elf-gdb that comes with the eCos
> tools.

I word of warning. I've tried Insight with the ARM port. Insight has a
few problems with Host/Target setups. It appears there is no way to
send a ^C to the target. This means the only way to stop the target is
with break points. Also, since embedded systems generally never end,
you have to start Insight each time you want to run the code since
there is no way to stop the target to download new code!

I've reported the problem to Cygnus, but until they are fixed, i would
recommend staying with the command line version.

        Andrew