* [ECOS] Problems while cross compiling for ARM
@ 2000-11-08  1:43 Igor Trevisan
From: Igor Trevisan @ 2000-11-08  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi.

I built an ARM-Thumb development tool for Linux following step
by step all the instructions I found in the page:
"Building the thumb-elf development tools for Linux",
and I'm still trying to cross-compile a simple "hello.c" file but I don't
succeed.
I'm using the tool without eCos.
Now my arm-gcc find the include files; but I have to do with the
following new error message:

> /tools/H-i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf/2.97/../../../../arm-
   elf/bin/ld:
> cannot open crt0.o: File o directory inesistente
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

What can I do to avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance to everyone that will help me.

	Igor.

P.S.: Thank you Jonathan for your previous and timely answer!

BlueWind                Electronic Design
I-31033 Castelfranco Veneto (TREVISO)
Via Steffani 7/B
VOICE   +39 0 423 723431
FAX     +39 0 423 744738
MOBILE  +39 349 7787328

mailto:igor@bluewind.it
http://www.bluewind.it

* Re: [ECOS] Problems while cross compiling for ARM
@ 2000-11-08  4:25 ` Rafael Rodríguez Velilla
From: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla @ 2000-11-08  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

  It seems that you haven't used arm-elf-gcc with the option -nostdlib. If
you don't specify this option, gcc tries to link your program against
crt0.o, an object that should contain the initialization code.
  In the "getting started guide" of eCos I found information on how to
compile for eCos. eCos uses its own initialization code so it doesn't need
crt0.o.

--
Rafael Rodríguez Velilla        rrv@tid.es
Telefónica I+D          http://www.tid.es

* Re: [ECOS] Problems while cross compiling for ARM
@ 2000-11-08  6:13 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2000-11-08  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: igor; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Igor> I built an ARM-Thumb development tool for Linux following
    Igor> step by step all the instructions I found in the page:
    Igor> "Building the thumb-elf development tools for Linux", and
    Igor> I'm still trying to cross-compile a simple "hello.c" file
    Igor> but I don't succeed. I'm using the tool without eCos. Now my
    Igor> arm-gcc find the include files; but I have to do with the
    Igor> following new error message:

    Igor> /tools/H-i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf/2.97/../../../../arm-elf/bin/ld:
    Igor> cannot open crt0.o: File o directory inesistente
    Igor> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    Igor> What can I do to avoid this problem?

    Igor> Thanks in advance to everyone that will help me.

If you are using newlib rather than eCos then there should be a crt0.o
file in a lib directory somewhere inside the install tree. You may
need to specify a suitable path using a -L argument to arm-elf-gcc,
although I would have expected the compiler to be able to find this
directory automagically. It is a long time since I did any work with
newlib rather than eCos so I am afraid I cannot remember all the
details. You may have more luck asking this question on the cross-gcc
mailing list, http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc , since the people
on the ecos-discuss mailing list are usually not particularly
interested in newlib anymore.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer