* [ECOS] Need help evaluating eCos SNMP
@ 2001-01-04  7:31 bgat
From: bgat @ 2001-01-04  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Guys:

I would like to evaluate eCos's SNMP capabilities, but I'm not exactly
sure how to go about it because I'm an SNMP newbie.

I'm perfectly comfortable with building eCos and loading test code,
but I don't know what to do to generate and evaluate SNMP traffic on
the management station side.

Could someone point me in the right direction?  I think SNMP is cool
technology, especially for an RTOS-based environment, and I would like
to demonstrate it for myself...

Thanks very much,

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@open-widgets.com

* Re: [ECOS] Need help evaluating eCos SNMP
@ 2001-01-04  7:49 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2001-01-04  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bgat; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 09:31:37AM -0600, bgat@open-widgets.com wrote:
> I'm perfectly comfortable with building eCos and loading test code,
> but I don't know what to do to generate and evaluate SNMP traffic on
> the management station side.

I would start with something simple like snmpwalk, snmpget, snmpset
etc. These are standard tools which come with most Linux
distributions, although they may not be installed by default.

Another option is to look at HP web pages and get them to send a CD
with a demo version of the network node managment software.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Need help evaluating eCos SNMP
@ 2001-01-04  8:28 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-01-04  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bgat; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 09:31:37AM -0600, bgat@open-widgets.com wrote:

> I would like to evaluate eCos's SNMP capabilities, but I'm not exactly
> sure how to go about it because I'm an SNMP newbie.
>
> I'm perfectly comfortable with building eCos and loading test code,
> but I don't know what to do to generate and evaluate SNMP traffic on
> the management station side.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction?  I think SNMP is cool
> technology, especially for an RTOS-based environment, and I would like
> to demonstrate it for myself...

Hi Bill,

Mostly what I use is the 'snmpwalk' program included in the CMU
SNMP package that comes with RedHat Linux.  All it does is send
'GET' commands and display the responses, but I haven't
implimented any 'alarm' stuff, so it's good enough for what I'm
doing.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com