* [ECOS] ARM7 debugging
@ 2001-01-15  9:17 Ilko Iliev
From: Ilko Iliev @ 2001-01-15  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I try to find the right way to debug eCOS (ATEB01).
I have JTAG Wiggler from Macraigor and JEENI from EPI.
I use the gnu suite for Linux (RedHat 7.0) and Windows2000 (cygwin) -
gcc2.95, Insight 5.0
I didn't find big difference between Linux and Windows version.

After some expirements with Wiggler and JEENI I found the next problems:

1. With JTAG Wiggler and software (Insight 5.0) from www.ocdemon.com
	- when I use windows interface: in the menu File/Target miss option for
setting ocdemon. To
solve this problem I use gbd.ini with current settings. When I startting
gdb I reveive the
unlogical message "Unable to Read Instructions at 0x2018060". When I select
manual the debugging
file then it can be debugged (sometimes :-). When the user program have no
breakpoints it can't be
stopped (the STOP button didn't work). The only way to restart the user
program is to kill gdb
process and start it again.

2. With JEENI from EPI.
	- when I use no windows interface gdb connected to target:
gdb> target rdi e=192.168.1.100
A user program can be downloaded and executed.
	- when I use windows interface: in File/Target Settings I try each
possibility with
ethernet interface, but I can't succeed. By the connection settings I have
seen port option - no
where I can't find description of it. To solve the problem I use gdb.ini
file with current
settings. The result was the same : "Unable to Read Instructions at
0x2018060". When I select
manual the debugging file then it can be debugged. In the first
cyg_thread_delay() from the
twothreads example it hang up - obviously the scheduler didn't work. The
same exapmle work fine
with JTAG Wiggler.
	- same as the JTAG Wiggler it can't be halted (with windows interface).
The only way to
restart the user program is to kill gdb process and start it again.

I don't know to much debuggers for embedded CPUs, but I can say that the
SDS SingleStep for
ColdFire for example, is far far ahead in the right way in comparing with gdb.

Or I make something wrong with gdb?

best regards
Ilko Iliev

* Re: [ECOS] ARM7 debugging
@ 2001-01-15  9:30 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-01-15  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilko Iliev; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 06:16:27PM +0100, Ilko Iliev wrote:

> I try to find the right way to debug eCOS (ATEB01).
> I have JTAG Wiggler from Macraigor and JEENI from EPI.
> I use the gnu suite for Linux (RedHat 7.0) and Windows2000 (cygwin) -
> gcc2.95, Insight 5.0

The gdb and insight mailing lists are probably the best places
to get help on gdb and insight.  Most of the gdb/insight
experts don't read the eCos mailing list.

I've used Insight 5.0 with the Jeeni under Windows and Linux,
I've never tried the Wiggler.

> 2. With JEENI from EPI.
>
>    - when I use no windows interface gdb connected to target: gdb>
>      target rdi e=192.168.1.100 A user program can be downloaded and
>      executed.

You should be able to type the same commands into the gdb
window when using the windowing interface.  Does that work?

>    - when I use windows interface: in File/Target Settings I try
>      each possibility with ethernet interface, but I can't succeed.
>      By the connection settings I have seen port option - no where I
>      can't find description of it.

I have gotten Insight to connect using the menu/dialog-box
method, but I find it far simpler to type "target" and "load"
commands in the gdb window.

If you get that method to work, and you still want to use the
menu entries, let me know, and I'll go back and find my notes.

>      To solve the problem I use gdb.ini file with current settings.
>      The result was the same : "Unable to Read Instructions at
>      0x2018060". When I select manual the debugging file then it can
>      be debugged. In the first cyg_thread_delay() from the
>      twothreads example it hang up - obviously the scheduler didn't
>      work. The same exapmle work fine with JTAG Wiggler. - same as
>      the JTAG Wiggler it can't be halted (with windows interface).
>      The only way to restart the user program is to kill gdb process
>      and start it again.

When you run the no-windowing version, can you stop execution
by typing "ctrl-C" under Linux?  [I don't remember if ctrl-C
works under Cygwin.]

In order to get the "stop" button to work with the Jeeni, you
need to either use a CVS snapshot of gdb/insight or apply the
patches at

  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/gdb-rdi-patches/5.0

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] ARM7 debugging
@ 2001-01-16  7:04   ` Ilko Iliev
From: Ilko Iliev @ 2001-01-16  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> >    - when I use no windows interface gdb connected to target: gdb>
> >      target rdi e=192.168.1.100 A user program can be downloaded and
> >      executed.
>
>You should be able to type the same commands into the gdb
>window when using the windowing interface.  Does that work?

Yes, it work.
But if I don't use gdb.ini file how can I init the chip select for RAM?
It must be before "load".

>method, but I find it far simpler to type "target" and "load"
>commands in the gdb window.
>
>If you get that method to work, and you still want to use the
>menu entries, let me know, and I'll go back and find my notes.

For me it dosn't matter - I will only the simple way to debug a program.

>need to either use a CVS snapshot of gdb/insight or apply the
>patches at
>
>   ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/gdb-rdi-patches/5.0

Thank you! It work! :-)

The example twothreads don't  work with JEENI - I receive no timer
interrupt. The same elf file work fine with Wiggler.
Do you have any idea?

best regards
Ilko

* Re: [ECOS] ARM7 debugging
@ 2001-01-16  7:20     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-01-16  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilko Iliev; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 04:02:28PM +0100, Ilko Iliev wrote:

> > >    - when I use no windows interface gdb connected to target: gdb>
> > >      target rdi e=192.168.1.100 A user program can be downloaded and
> > >      executed.
> >
> >You should be able to type the same commands into the gdb
> >window when using the windowing interface.  Does that work?
>
> Yes, it work. But if I don't use gdb.ini file how can I init
> the chip select for RAM? It must be before "load".

On my board I solve that problem by loading a small (about 40
words) memory config program into the 8K internal SRAM in the
processor and running it.  That configures the chip select for
the external RAM, which I can then use for my real application.

When I was using the menu entry to load a file, I had it run
that memory config program as part of the "connect script" that
I defined in .gdbinit and configured in the dialog box for the
target.

> The example twothreads don't work with JEENI - I receive no
> timer interrupt. The same elf file work fine with Wiggler. Do
> you have any idea?

That's odd.  I don't know of any reason why the method used to
load the program should change things like that.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com