* [ECOS] About Hal isolation.
@ 2001-01-20  6:34 JITENDRA kanitkar
From: JITENDRA kanitkar @ 2001-01-20  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi there,

i am new to the list. The question I am asking might be trivial bur
expecting some help from all of you.

Can we isolate HAL from Ecos so that we can put something else on top of HAL
(might be application specific only)

Thanks in advance.
Jitendra.

* Re: [ECOS] About Hal isolation.
@ 2001-01-21 10:19 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-01-21 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JITENDRA kanitkar; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

JITENDRA kanitkar wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> i am new to the list. The question I am asking might be trivial bur
> expecting some help from all of you.
>
> Can we isolate HAL from Ecos so that we can put something else on top of HAL
> (might be application specific only)

Yes. As an example, RedBoot is an application that does not use the eCos
kernel, but just uses HAL services directly.

Jifl
Un cheval, pas du glue. Pas du cheval, beaucoup du glue. || Opinions==mine

* Re: [ECOS] About Hal isolation.
@ 2001-01-22  4:19 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2001-01-22  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jitendrak; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Jitendra> i am new to the list. The question I am asking might be
    Jitendra> trivial bur expecting some help from all of you.

    Jitendra> Can we isolate HAL from Ecos so that we can put
    Jitendra> something else on top of HAL (might be application
    Jitendra> specific only)

Yes, that is one of the design goals. However please note that the HAL
is not completely self-contained, you must also have at least the
infrastructure package in place. If you use the "minimal" template
for an appropriate target that should give you a sensible starting
point: HAL, device drivers, infrastructure, and a couple of other
small support packages; no kernel, C library, or anything like that.

Bart