* [ECOS] need help on edb7211 + ecos 1.3.1 + arm toolchain
@ 2001-02-13  0:21 Edelmann Thomas
From: Edelmann Thomas @ 2001-02-13  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hope anybody can help.

I have the Cirrus Logic Evaluation Board EDB7211. I tried running eCos 1.3.1
under WinNT. To do this I need a running arm toolchain.

So I downloaded the neccessary sources (binutils, gcc-core, gcc-g++,
insight). binutils compiles without errors. When compiling gcc i got the
following error messages:

In file included from config/arm/aout.h:301,
                 from config/arm/elf.h:354,
                 from config/arm/unknown-elf.h:171,
                 from tm.h:6,
                 from config/arm/xm-arm.h:55,
                 from tconfig.h:5,
                 from ./libgcc2.c:33:
config/arm/arm.h:226: parse error before `{'
config/arm/arm.h:417: parse error before `{'
config/arm/arm.h:590: parse error before `if'
config/arm/arm.h:597: `SImode' undeclared here (not in a function)
config/arm/arm.h:597: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
[...]
config/arm/arm.h:2102: parse error before character constant
config/arm/arm.h:2102: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
In file included from ./libgcc2.c:45:
machmode.h:47: stray '\' in program
machmode.h:138: warning: parameter has incomplete type
machmode.h:142: warning: parameter has incomplete type
config/arm/arm.h:1462: storage size of `code' isn't known
make[3]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc'
make[2]: *** [stmp-multilib-sub] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2'

Can anybody help? Or is there anywhere on the net a running binary arm
toolchain for cygwin under WinNT?

Thanks for your help.

bye,
Thomas

> ---
> Windows:  A 32 bit shell for a 16 bit operating system, originally written
> for
>  an 8 bit processor on a 4 bit bus by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1
> bit of
>  competition!
> Thomas Edelmann             Siemens AG, A&D GT 13
> * Voice:  +49 911/895-2703	Postfach 4848
> * Fax:      +49 911/895-3715	D-90327 Nürnberg
> * E-Mail: mailto:Thomas.Edelmann@nbgm.siemens.de
>       Visit our Internet-Server at http://www.ad.siemens.de

* Re: [ECOS] need help on edb7211 + ecos 1.3.1 + arm toolchain
@ 2001-02-13  5:45 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-13  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edelmann Thomas, ecos-discuss

Thomas,

>I have the Cirrus Logic Evaluation Board EDB7211. I tried running eCos 1.3.1
>under WinNT. To do this I need a running arm toolchain.

Oh dear... :) If you look through the archive of this list, you'll see that
I struggled with this one for a long time too.

I can email you my Win32 toolchain as a zipfile (just unzip it to
cygwin/tools) if you want. It is an arm-elf toolchain based around gcc
2.95.2 (so it does NOT support Thumb). At this time I do not believe there
is any way to get gcc's thumb support working under cygwin; I tried for
months (off and on) and although it's possible eventually to build
something (by manually cutting out bits of source files that don't compile
properly), the result is non-functional.

I strongly urge you to move to Linux, which was the advice I was given very
early on here on this list. I tried and tried to get Win32 working right,
but I gave up last week sometime. Although it is very inconvenient to some
people (including me) to have to dual-boot multiple OSs, Linux is by far
easier to work with for this stuff. It's also much faster; it seems that
every time you run a cygwin binary it has to reload a bunch of DLLs or
something.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] need help on edb7211 + ecos 1.3.1 + arm toolchain
@ 2001-02-13  7:47 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2001-02-13  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas.Edelmann; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Thomas> Hi,
    Thomas> hope anybody can help.

    Thomas> I have the Cirrus Logic Evaluation Board EDB7211. I tried
    Thomas> running eCos 1.3.1 under WinNT. To do this I need a
    Thomas> running arm toolchain.

    Thomas> So I downloaded the neccessary sources (binutils,
    Thomas> gcc-core, gcc-g++, insight). binutils compiles without
    Thomas> errors. When compiling gcc i got = the following error
    Thomas> messages:

    <snip>
    Thomas> config/arm/arm.h:226: parse error before `{'
    <snip>

    Thomas> Can anybody help? Or is there anywhere on the net a
    Thomas> running binary arm toolchain for cygwin under WinNT?

This is almost certainly a problem with spurious carriage returns.
Please see the relevant FAQ entry at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/faq.html#problems_toolchain

Bart

* Re: [ECOS] need help on edb7211 + ecos 1.3.1 + arm toolchain
@ 2001-02-13  8:54   ` Wilson Kwan
From: Wilson Kwan @ 2001-02-13  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> Thomas,
>
> >I have the Cirrus Logic Evaluation Board EDB7211. I tried running eCos
1.3.1
> >under WinNT. To do this I need a running arm toolchain.
>
> Oh dear... :) If you look through the archive of this list, you'll see
that
> I struggled with this one for a long time too.
>
> I can email you my Win32 toolchain as a zipfile (just unzip it to
> cygwin/tools) if you want. It is an arm-elf toolchain based around gcc
> 2.95.2 (so it does NOT support Thumb). At this time I do not believe there
> is any way to get gcc's thumb support working under cygwin; I tried for
> months (off and on) and although it's possible eventually to build
> something (by manually cutting out bits of source files that don't compile
> properly), the result is non-functional.

I have been able to get the cygwin / gnu toolchain running under Win NT
2000. Make sure you use the net release of the cygwin tools. I followed the
directions on the eCos website for building the tools under Win32. I am also
able to build the CVS version of eCos under NT 2000.

Wilson

* Re: [ECOS] need help on edb7211 + ecos 1.3.1 + arm toolchain
@ 2001-02-13  9:13     ` root
From: root @ 2001-02-13  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wilson Kwan, ecos-discuss

Hello Wilson,

> > 2.95.2 (so it does NOT support Thumb). At this time I do not believe there
> > is any way to get gcc's thumb support working under cygwin; I tried for
>
> I have been able to get the cygwin / gnu toolchain running under Win NT
> 2000. Make sure you use the net release of the cygwin tools. I followed the

How did you manage to get _thumb_ support working under Cygwin? gcc 2.95.2 does
not support thumb properly according to Red Hat's instructions. The current
snapshot of gcc doesn't build under cygwin.

* Re: [ECOS] need help on edb7211 + ecos 1.3.1 + arm toolchain
@ 2001-02-13  9:25       ` Wilson Kwan
From: Wilson Kwan @ 2001-02-13  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

> Hello Wilson,
>
> > > 2.95.2 (so it does NOT support Thumb). At this time I do not believe
there
> > > is any way to get gcc's thumb support working under cygwin; I tried
for

> > I have been able to get the cygwin / gnu toolchain running under Win NT
> > 2000. Make sure you use the net release of the cygwin tools. I followed
the

> How did you manage to get _thumb_ support working under Cygwin? gcc 2.95.2
does
> not support thumb properly according to Red Hat's instructions. The
current
> snapshot of gcc doesn't build under cygwin.

Sorry about the confusion. What I meant was that I was able to get the arm
tools working under NT 2000 but not the thumb support. I tried playing with
the thumb support for a week but after reading about your struggles with it
I gave up on it. I don't need thumb support for the next little while so I'm
hoping it gets fixed by the time I do need it.

fyi...Jonathan your posting are coming in as root.

Wilson