* [ECOS] working with multiple targets
@ 2001-04-12  0:17 Fano Ramparany
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fano Ramparany @ 2001-04-12  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

I'm currently working with two toolchains: the edb7xxx and the linux
synthetic target ones.
What I've done is build the first toolchain as explained in the
distribution installation instruction
then rename the directory "tools" as "toolsarm". Then build the second
toolchain  and rename
the directory "tools" as "toolslin". I've tried add to the PATH variable
"/toolsarm/H-i686...." or
"/toolslin/H-i686..." depending on which target I'd like to work, but
this don't work.
The only solution I've found so far is to define /tools as a soft link
pointing to either
/toolsarm or /toolslin depending on which target I work. But I'm not
satisfied with this
solution  as it requires 2 extra steps (removing and creating the link)
and the super user
privilege to switch from one target to the other. Any hint for a more
convenient solution
welcome, particularly for sharing commands between the two toolchains.

(I remember having seen a thread on that subject but couldn't find it
from the mailing list
archive)

Regards
Fano

* Re: [ECOS] working with multiple targets
@ 2001-04-12  5:34 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-12  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fano.Ramparany; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Fano Ramparany wrote:

> I'm currently working with two toolchains: the edb7xxx and the linux
> synthetic target ones.
> What I've done is build the first toolchain as explained in the
> distribution installation instruction
> then rename the directory "tools" as "toolsarm". Then build the second
> toolchain  and rename
> the directory "tools" as "toolslin". I've tried add to the PATH variable
> "/toolsarm/H-i686...." or
> "/toolslin/H-i686..." depending on which target I'd like to work, but
> this don't work.
> The only solution I've found so far is to define /tools as a soft link
> pointing to either
> /toolsarm or /toolslin depending on which target I work. But I'm not
> satisfied with this
> solution  as it requires 2 extra steps (removing and creating the link)
> and the super user
> privilege to switch from one target to the other. Any hint for a more
> convenient solution
> welcome, particularly for sharing commands between the two toolchains.

The path "/tools" is not magic. Call it whatever you want, e.g.
/home/fano/wibble/arm and /home/fano/wibble/linux

Just make sure you use it consistently in the instructions.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] working with multiple targets
@ 2001-04-12  6:07 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-12  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fano.Ramparany, eCos Disuss

Hi Fano,

>I'm currently working with two toolchains: the edb7xxx and the linux
>synthetic target ones.
>What I've done is build the first toolchain as explained in the
>distribution installation instruction
>then rename the directory "tools" as "toolsarm". Then build the second
>toolchain  and rename
>the directory "tools" as "toolslin". I've tried add to the PATH variable

The gcc/binutils components have embedded installation paths in them. So
this is why it doesn't work when you have a different directory and try to
rename things behind gcc's back, and it's also why it DOES work if you use
the symlink (since the same path string /tools/xxxx reaches the right files
through the symlink).

Try rebuilding/reinstalling to separate directories, i.e. specify
"/toolarm/i686-pc-linux-gnu" for the ARM toolchain and
"toolsynth/i686-pc-linux-gnu" for the x86 toolchain.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."

* Re: [ECOS] working with multiple targets
@ 2001-04-12  6:14 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2001-04-12  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fano.Ramparany; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Fano> I'm currently working with two toolchains: the edb7xxx and
    Fano> the linux synthetic target ones. What I've done is build the
    Fano> first toolchain as explained in the distribution
    Fano> installation instruction then rename the directory "tools"
    Fano> as "toolsarm". Then build the second toolchain and rename
    Fano> the directory "tools" as "toolslin". I've tried add to the
    Fano> PATH variable "/toolsarm/H-i686...." or
    Fano> "/toolslin/H-i686..." depending on which target I'd like to
    Fano> work, but this don't work. The only solution I've found so
    Fano> far is to define /tools as a soft link pointing to either
    Fano> /toolsarm or /toolslin depending on which target I work. But
    Fano> I'm not satisfied with this solution as it requires 2 extra
    Fano> steps (removing and creating the link) and the super user
    Fano> privilege to switch from one target to the other. Any hint
    Fano> for a more convenient solution welcome, particularly for
    Fano> sharing commands between the two toolchains.

    Fano> (I remember having seen a thread on that subject but
    Fano> couldn't find it from the mailing list archive)

Moving tools around after they have been installed is a bad idea. The
install path is built into the tools in various places. Instead just
use a different prefix when configuring, e.g. in one build tree use;

   <path>/configure --prefix /usr/local/arm-elf ...

and in the other build tree, use:

   <path>/configure --prefix /usr/local/i686-elf ...

Then you just add both /usr/local/arm-elf/bin and
/usr/local/i686-elf/bin to your path.

The /tools directory in the installation instructions is intended as
an example, not an absolute requirement.

Bart