* RE: [ECOS] eCos build problem - wrong path for repository
@ 2002-09-24  5:36 Kristin Hofstee
From: Kristin Hofstee @ 2002-09-24  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Thanks for the tips.  Could you also point me to the most recent
stable version or non-alpha version?

Kristin

@ 2002-09-24  5:43 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-09-24  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristin Hofstee; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 04:47, Kristin Hofstee wrote:

> Thanks for the tips.  Could you also point me to the most recent
> stable version or non-alpha version?

The current version is only labeled "alpha" for licensing reasons,
not because there is a lot of new or untested code.  It's your best
place to start.

@ 2002-10-19  7:10   ` Peter Vandenabeele
From: Peter Vandenabeele @ 2002-10-19  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Kristin Hofstee, eCos Discussion, Peter De Schrijver

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 06:36:26AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 04:47, Kristin Hofstee wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the tips.  Could you also point me to the most recent
> > stable version or non-alpha version?
>
> The current version is only labeled "alpha" for licensing reasons,
> not because there is a lot of new or untested code.  It's your best
> place to start.

This is still not entirely clear to me.

Some time ago I read on this list that version 2.0 was not yet ready
as a "stable release" (pity I can't find back that message). Also the
Red Hat side on eCos heavily points towards 1.3.x versions.

On the other hand, newcomers that downloaded version 1.3.x get the
typical advice to upgraded to the latest CVS version
(the most recent I could see is ecos-v2-alpha-snap-2002-10-14.tar.bz2
from http://www.ecoscentric.com/snapshots/).

So, my questions:
(a) what is currently the best version to start off for a
    "conservative/efficient" development ?
    (we used 1.3.x in the past and this worked fine, but now,
    the situation is not entirely clear to me).
(b) what is the schedule to move 2.0 to beta and stable releases ?

Thanks,

Peter

* Re: [ECOS] eCos build problem - wrong path for repository
@ 2002-10-23 22:22     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-10-23 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Vandenabeele
  Cc: Gary Thomas, Kristin Hofstee, eCos Discussion, Peter De Schrijver

Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 06:36:26AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 04:47, Kristin Hofstee wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the tips.  Could you also point me to the most recent
>>>stable version or non-alpha version?
>>
>>The current version is only labeled "alpha" for licensing reasons,
>>not because there is a lot of new or untested code.  It's your best
>>place to start.
>

> This is still not entirely clear to me.
>
> Some time ago I read on this list that version 2.0 was not yet ready
> as a "stable release" (pity I can't find back that message).

Indeed a proper release would come later. What's mentioned was an alpha
because it was a repository snapshot, that's all. It doesn't have a proper
installer for windows, RPM for linux, and hasn't been QA'd per se. But
it's no worse than any other repository snapshot.

 > Also the
> Red Hat side on eCos heavily points towards 1.3.x versions.

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/install-linux.html and
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/install-windows.html both say at the top:

-=-=-=-=-
The latest development versions of eCos are now provided via the  eCos
anonymous CVS repository, and it is strongly recommended that wherever
possible this mechanism is used in preference to downloading eCos 1.3.1.
eCos 1.3.1 does not have the functionality, platform coverage, nor bug
fixes that are available in the latest versions of eCos.
-=-=-=-=-

> On the other hand, newcomers that downloaded version 1.3.x get the
> typical advice to upgraded to the latest CVS version
> (the most recent I could see is ecos-v2-alpha-snap-2002-10-14.tar.bz2
> from http://www.ecoscentric.com/snapshots/).
>
> So, my questions:
> (a) what is currently the best version to start off for a
>     "conservative/efficient" development ?
>     (we used 1.3.x in the past and this worked fine, but now,
>     the situation is not entirely clear to me).

I could not bear to advise anyone to use 1.3.x, and I personally wouldn't
help anyone who was using it.

> (b) what is the schedule to move 2.0 to beta and stable releases ?

Schedule? None now. It's more a case of "X, Y, and Z need to be done
first". That includes the patch backlog, website overhaul, and severe
rewriting of big chunks of docs. And we've now lost a lot of the release
infrastructure that was in place in Red Hat and we'd expected to use and
that will need to be recreated. And then there's the QA of the sources,
for which we'll now need substantial net input (there's no point starting
this effort till the previous bits are done really, otherwise the source
base will have moved on).

Won't be this year, put it like that.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] eCos build problem - wrong path for repository
@ 2002-10-25  9:30       ` Peter Vandenabeele
From: Peter Vandenabeele @ 2002-10-25  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Discussion, Peter De Schrijver

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 06:21:54AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
[...]
> > (b) what is the schedule to move 2.0 to beta and stable releases ?
>
> Schedule? None now. It's more a case of "X, Y, and Z need to be done
> first". That includes the patch backlog, website overhaul, and severe
> rewriting of big chunks of docs. And we've now lost a lot of the release
> infrastructure that was in place in Red Hat and we'd expected to use and
> that will need to be recreated.

Is there help we (or other interested parties) can offer ? Maybe some
of the work/servers/infrastructure/cost centers can be spread over different
parties to reach the result faster and spread the workload/cost ?

When the core CVS servers are not longer at Red Hat, we really need to
reconsider the Copyright Assignment to Red Hat. I would not be happy if Red Hat
sold the Copyright e.g. to a vendor of Closed Source OS's which could then
include it into a proprietary product without payback to the contributions
from the community that has now formed outside of Red Hat. We figured out
before that the current licensing scheme would legally allow this to Red Hat.

> And then there's the QA of the sources,
> for which we'll now need substantial net input (there's no point starting
> this effort till the previous bits are done really, otherwise the source
> base will have moved on).
>
> Won't be this year, put it like that.

Thanks for the update. It helped me understanding the versioning strategy
better.

Peter

@ 2002-10-25 17:36         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-10-25 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Vandenabeele; +Cc: eCos Discussion, Peter De Schrijver

Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 06:21:54AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
>>Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>>(b) what is the schedule to move 2.0 to beta and stable releases ?
>>
>>Schedule? None now. It's more a case of "X, Y, and Z need to be done
>>first". That includes the patch backlog, website overhaul, and severe
>>rewriting of big chunks of docs. And we've now lost a lot of the release
>>infrastructure that was in place in Red Hat and we'd expected to use and
>>that will need to be recreated.
>

> Is there help we (or other interested parties) can offer ? Maybe some
> of the work/servers/infrastructure/cost centers can be spread over different
> parties to reach the result faster and spread the workload/cost ?

Yes, definitely, but not just yet :-). Please remember the offer for the
future though :-).

> When the core CVS servers are not longer at Red Hat, we really need to
> reconsider the Copyright Assignment to Red Hat. I would not be happy if Red Hat
> sold the Copyright e.g. to a vendor of Closed Source OS's which could then
> include it into a proprietary product without payback to the contributions
> from the community that has now formed outside of Red Hat. We figured out
> before that the current licensing scheme would legally allow this to Red Hat.

The CVS servers can remain at Red Hat (no reason not to), and the
assignment is an orthogonal issue from that anyway. I'm sorry there hasn't
been much movement here, but you'll have to believe me when I say there's
a good reason!

I do agree there needs to be a resolution in this area, and it is being
worked on, but (out of necessity) away from the public gaze.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] eCos build problem - wrong path for repository
@ 2002-10-25 18:35           ` Peter Vandenabeele
From: Peter Vandenabeele @ 2002-10-25 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Peter Vandenabeele, eCos Discussion, Peter De Schrijver

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 01:36:33AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 06:21:54AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
[...]
> Yes, definitely, but not just yet :-). Please remember the offer for the
> future though :-).

I will remember :-)

[...]
> I do agree there needs to be a resolution in this area, and it is being
> worked on, but (out of necessity) away from the public gaze.

Curious to see more,

Peter

@ 2002-09-23  5:34     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-09-23  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Monoses; +Cc: Kristin.Hofstee, eCos Discussion

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 03:39, Jani Monoses wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2002 10:13:31 -0600
> Gary Thomas <gthomas@ecoscentric.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 10:01, Kristin Hofstee wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I searched the documentation and the archives about this problem.  I realize
> > > that it`s been answered before but I wasn`t quite satisfied with what I found.
> > >
> > > I`m building eCos on Windows NT 4.0.  Installation of the tools and so forth
> > > went swimmingly (mostly).
> > >

> > First of all, please get newer sources.  Version 1.3.1 is *incredibly*
> > old and out of date.  Any questions you have regarding that version
> > will certainly have already been answered.  Either get the latest stuff
> > directly from CVS or you can get a snapshot from
> >   http://www.ecoscentric.com/snapshots/
> >

> Since this happens too often wouldn't it be better to state on the ecos page
> that 1.3.1 is too old and people get the CVS version.Even stated 3 times in a row.

We're working on improving the web pages and this will be one of
the first items fixed.

@ 2002-09-23  1:22   ` Jani Monoses
From: Jani Monoses @ 2002-09-23  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Kristin.Hofstee, ecos-discuss

@ 2002-09-20  9:47 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-09-20  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristin Hofstee; +Cc: eCos Discussion

@ 2002-09-20  9:04 Kristin Hofstee
From: Kristin Hofstee @ 2002-09-20  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I searched the documentation and the archives about this problem.  I realize
that it`s been answered before but I wasn`t quite satisfied with what I found.

I`m building eCos on Windows NT 4.0.  Installation of the tools and so forth
went swimmingly (mostly).

Here my problem:

*** Process 319 created "make -j1"
make -r -C hal/arm/arch/v1_3_1 headers
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/ecos-work/trial_build/hal/arm/arch/v1_3_1'
makefile:91: //D/eCos/packages/pkgconf/rules.mak: No such host or network path
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `//D/eCos/packages/pkgconf/rules.mak'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/ecos-work/trial_build/hal/arm/arch/v1_3_1'
make: *** [headers] Error 2

Cleary //D/eCos/packages/.... should be /cygdrive/d/...
In the makefile the $REPOSITORY variable is set wrong.  Where is this makefile
generated from?  Is there a quick fix to this other than just manually changing
the makefile?

This is what was automatically mounted during installation.
bash-2.05b$ mount
D:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type user (binmode
)
D:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
D:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
D:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
e: on /cygdrive/e type user (binmode,noumount)
g: on /cygdrive/g type user (binmode,noumount)
h: on /cygdrive/h type user (binmode,noumount)
z: on /cygdrive/z type user (binmode,noumount)

Here's what I have in the root directory:
bash-2.05b$ ls
bin  cygwin.bat  cygwin.ico  etc  lib  sbin  src  tmp  tools  usr  var

Now /cygdrive is in there too but doesn't get listed.  Why?
(I know, now that two questions!)

Please help!

thank you,
Kristin