* [ECOS] USB Help
@ 2003-04-16 13:45 Patrick Doyle
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2003-04-16 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos-discuss (ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com)

I am starting a project in which we are building a device that will, on
occasion, need to connect to a Windows PC to download control and
configuration information via USB.  Since I don't want to have to write (and
maintain!) any windows device drivers, I thought I would make my device show
up as a "standard" RS-232 USB device.  I was wondering...

1) Is this feasible?

2) Can anybody give me a good starting point to come up to speed quickly on
USB?  (Right now, I can't even spell USB, but that will change rapidly.)

3) The Windows application developers are all Java developers, and they are
excited about the possibility of communicating with the device via COM7 (or
whatever).  Is there a better approach that I should consider?

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

--wpd

* Re: [ECOS] USB Help
@ 2003-04-16 14:03 ` Rupesh S
From: Rupesh S @ 2003-04-16 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle, ecos-discuss

> I am starting a project in which we are building a device that will, on
> occasion, need to connect to a Windows PC to download control and
> configuration information via USB.  Since I don't want to have to write
(and
> maintain!) any windows device drivers, I thought I would make my device
show
> up as a "standard" RS-232 USB device.  I was wondering...
>
> 1) Is this feasible?

It is very much feasible,

> 2) Can anybody give me a good starting point to come up to speed quickly
on
> USB?  (Right now, I can't even spell USB, but that will change rapidly.)

Jan Axelson's "USB Complete" is the best starter for USB.

> 3) The Windows application developers are all Java developers, and they
are
> excited about the possibility of communicating with the device via COM7
(or
> whatever).  Is there a better approach that I should consider?

windows has got support for virtual COMM Port driver (through USB).

> Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Fortunately for u, the Emulated COMM Ports falls under a standard "Device
Cass" as referred by usb.org. Go through the "Communiation Class Device"
specification. U'll get this from usb.org. if u r not ble to get it.. tell
me,, I can send u.

All u got to do is to write a firmware for ur USB device so that it  matches
the USB CDC class.
Windows drivers will be loaded automatically, when u connect ur devic ewith
the above software.

> --

* Re: [ECOS] USB Help
@ 2003-04-16 14:06 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-04-16 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: eCos-discuss (ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:43:20AM -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I am starting a project in which we are building a device that will, on
> occasion, need to connect to a Windows PC to download control and
> configuration information via USB.  Since I don't want to have to write (and
> maintain!) any windows device drivers, I thought I would make my device show
> up as a "standard" RS-232 USB device.  I was wondering...
>
> 1) Is this feasible?
>
> 2) Can anybody give me a good starting point to come up to speed quickly on
> USB?  (Right now, I can't even spell USB, but that will change rapidly.)
>
> 3) The Windows application developers are all Java developers, and they are
> excited about the possibility of communicating with the device via COM7 (or
> whatever).  Is there a better approach that I should consider?
>
> Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Whats your target hardware? Experience with the StrongArm SA1110 and
the NEC Laki are that the USB devices have silicon bugs which make
writing drivers very hard. Don't underestimate the effort and make
sure you have good technical support from the chip set vendor, all the
Errata's and a USB analyzer.

USB support in eCos is in three layers. The lowest is hardware
drivers. The middle layer is hardware independent services, end
points, enumeration etc. The top layer is USB 'Applications'.  eCos
has support for Ethernet over USB as an application. It then becomes
possible to ping, ftp, etc to the target, just as if it had a real
ethernet device. There is a GPL Linux driver for this and Ascom
contracted another part of RedHat for Windows drivers. Not sure what
the license is on the RH M$ drivers.

Is RS-232 part of the HID? If so, M$ have probably implemented it to
the standard. Our experience with Ethernet is that everybody does it
there own way, so you need your own proprietary M$ drivers.

      Andrew

* [ECOS] Re: USB Help
@ 2003-04-16 15:47 ` Daniel Néri
From: Daniel Néri @ 2003-04-16 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Patrick Doyle <WPD@dtccom.com> writes:

> I thought I would make my device show up as a "standard" RS-232 USB
> device.

[snip]

> 2) Can anybody give me a good starting point to come up to speed
> quickly on USB?  (Right now, I can't even spell USB, but that will
> change rapidly.)

Actually, you don't have to learn everything about USB to use it. Have
a look at

   http://www.ftdichip.com/

Regards,
--
Daniel Néri
Sigicom AB, Sweden

* Re: [ECOS] USB Help
@ 2003-04-22  9:41   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-04-22  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupesh S; +Cc: Patrick Doyle, ecos-discuss

> > 2) Can anybody give me a good starting point to come up to speed quickly
> > on USB?  (Right now, I can't even spell USB, but that will change rapidly.)
>
> Jan Axelson's "USB Complete" is the best starter for USB.

I have this book, but i find "USB Hardware & Software" By John Garnet
et al" a better book. ISBN 0-929392-37-X.

   Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] USB Help
@ 2003-04-16 16:19 ` Tim michals
From: Tim michals @ 2003-04-16 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle, 'Rupesh S', ecos-discuss

Another way is to create a generic driver for eCOS to
support microsoft RNDIS USB driver.

Windows has a standard driver to use for ethernet.

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/resources/HWservices/rndis.asp

Another project that I have not finished! :(.

tmichals

@ 2003-04-16 14:22 Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2003-04-16 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rupesh S', ecos-discuss