* [ECOS] Can't build gcc 3.2 using gcc 3.2 on Cygwin?
@ 2003-09-05 22:17 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2003-09-05 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

I just tried to build an eCos-compatible ARM toolchain under
Cygwin using the current Cygwin gcc: 3.2 20020927 (prerelease),
and gcc segfaulted trying to compile one of the files in gcc
3.2.1 (locale.cc).

What version of Cygwin gcc  have other eCos users used to build
toolchains?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] Can't build gcc 3.2 using gcc 3.2 on Cygwin?
@ 2003-09-05 22:40 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-09-05 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 16:17, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I just tried to build an eCos-compatible ARM toolchain under
> Cygwin using the current Cygwin gcc: 3.2 20020927 (prerelease),
> and gcc segfaulted trying to compile one of the files in gcc
> 3.2.1 (locale.cc).
>
> What version of Cygwin gcc  have other eCos users used to build
> toolchains?

I have successfully built gcc 3.2.2 using that compiler on CygWin.
Did you try it more than once? :-)  Windows is notoriously
unpredictable!

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Can't build gcc 3.2 using gcc 3.2 on Cygwin?
@ 2003-09-06  2:04   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2003-09-06  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 04:40:05PM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> > I just tried to build an eCos-compatible ARM toolchain under
> > Cygwin using the current Cygwin gcc: 3.2 20020927 (prerelease),
> > and gcc segfaulted trying to compile one of the files in gcc
> > 3.2.1 (locale.cc).
> >
> > What version of Cygwin gcc  have other eCos users used to build
> > toolchains?
>
> I have successfully built gcc 3.2.2 using that compiler on CygWin.
> Did you try it more than once? :-)

Nope.  It never even occured to me to just do the build again.
I'll give it another shot on monday.  Maybe I'll wipe Cygwin
completely and install from scratch.

> Windows is notoriously unpredictable!

Unfortunately...

--

@ 2003-09-08 16:07   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2003-09-08 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 04:40:05PM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> > I just tried to build an eCos-compatible ARM toolchain under
> > Cygwin using the current Cygwin gcc: 3.2 20020927 (prerelease),
> > and gcc segfaulted trying to compile one of the files in gcc
> > 3.2.1 (locale.cc).
> >
> > What version of Cygwin gcc  have other eCos users used to build
> > toolchains?
>
> I have successfully built gcc 3.2.2 using that compiler on CygWin.
> Did you try it more than once? :-)  Windows is notoriously
> unpredictable!

Tried again and it segfaulted on the same source file.  IOW, it
seems to be a predictable problem.

I'm going to wipe Cygwin and reinstall it.  If that fails, I'm
going to try to find older versions of gcc for Cygwin.

--

@ 2003-09-08 21:33     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2003-09-08 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:06:50AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

> > > I just tried to build an eCos-compatible ARM toolchain under
> > > Cygwin using the current Cygwin gcc: 3.2 20020927 (prerelease),
> > > and gcc segfaulted trying to compile one of the files in gcc
> > > 3.2.1 (locale.cc).

> I'm going to wipe Cygwin and reinstall it.  If that fails, I'm
> going to try to find older versions of gcc for Cygwin.

I went back to an old version of Cygwin and gcc, and the
toolchain build works fine.  But now ecosconfig.exe won't run.

I guess I'll have to build those from sources. :/

I've gotten to dread working under Cygwin.  Something that
takes an afternoon in Linux takes a week in Cygwin...

--

@ 2003-09-09  7:54       ` Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2003-09-09  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Grant Edwards'; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

>I've gotten to dread working under Cygwin.  Something that
>takes an afternoon in Linux takes a week in Cygwin...

Although I have little experience building GCC under CygWin,
the fastest way to build GCC w/GCJ for Windows is to create a Windows
cross compiler under Linux that is used to build the Windows
native GCC + GCJ compiler.

If you are much more comfortable with Linux, then why not take
this procedure for a spin?

http://www.thisiscool.com/gcc_mingw.htm

Oh, and let me know how it went ;-)

Øyvind

* Re: [ECOS] Can't build gcc 3.2 using gcc 3.2 on Cygwin?
@ 2003-09-09  8:05         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-09-09  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grante; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:54:18AM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
> >I've gotten to dread working under Cygwin.  Something that
> >takes an afternoon in Linux takes a week in Cygwin...

Or goto Management and say, "It took me a week to do what i could of
done in an afternoon on Linux. Just think about how much money you
would save in man hours if you let me do this on a Linux box...."

      Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Can't build gcc 3.2 using gcc 3.2 on Cygwin?
@ 2003-09-09  8:08     ` RomanJordan
From: RomanJordan @ 2003-09-09  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: gary, ecos-discuss

Hi,
i got the same problem.
Using gcc 3.3 works fine on my pc. Without changing anything of the cygwin
environment.

Greetings, Roman Jordan

@ 2003-09-09 13:08           ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2003-09-09 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'eCos Discussion'

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:05:28AM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:

>>>I've gotten to dread working under Cygwin.  Something that
>>>takes an afternoon in Linux takes a week in Cygwin...
>
> Or goto Management and say, "It took me a week to do what i could of
> done in an afternoon on Linux. Just think about how much money you
> would save in man hours if you let me do this on a Linux box...."

It's already done for Linux.

We sell an arm-based "box" for which there is a developer's kit
for customers who want to develop their own apps (or modify the
app that comes with the box).  Along with application and eCos
sources and binaraies, the developers kit contains toolchains
for Linux and Cygwin.  I'm updating the developer's kit, and
the Cygwin part is always way more hassle than the Linux part.

--
Grant