* [ECOS] Redboot DHCP
@ 2003-11-03 21:28 John Newlin
From: John Newlin @ 2003-11-03 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

In bootp.c there is a line like so:

static const unsigned char dhcpRequestOption[] = {52,1,3};

Just curious if this is what the Author intended.  52 is the Option
override command.  53 seems somewhat more sensible, being the DHCP
Discover option.

I'm not familiar with Option override does, so I am probably wrong.

Also, our DHCP server here seems to want more in the Options.  I have not
narrowed it down to the smallest set yet, but the following options seem
to make it happy:

53 - Discover
61 - Client Id (MAC Address, should it need this?)
55 - Parameter List

-john

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot DHCP
@ 2003-11-03 21:36 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-03 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Newlin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:28, John Newlin wrote:
> In bootp.c there is a line like so:
>
> static const unsigned char dhcpRequestOption[] = {52,1,3};
>

> Just curious if this is what the Author intended.  52 is the Option
> override command.  53 seems somewhat more sensible, being the DHCP
> Discover option.
>
> I'm not familiar with Option override does, so I am probably wrong.
>

> Also, our DHCP server here seems to want more in the Options.  I have not
> narrowed it down to the smallest set yet, but the following options seem
> to make it happy:
>
> 53 - Discover
> 61 - Client Id (MAC Address, should it need this?)
> 55 - Parameter List

Update to the latest version from CVS - this has been changed a lot
in the recent past.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot DHCP
@ 2003-11-04  1:47   ` John Newlin
From: John Newlin @ 2003-11-04  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Works great now!

I see there is at least some stub code for DNS, but does not
look complete.  Is that something someone is working on?

Thanks!

-john

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Gary Thomas wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:28, John Newlin wrote:
> > In bootp.c there is a line like so:
> >
> > static const unsigned char dhcpRequestOption[] = {52,1,3};
> >

> > Just curious if this is what the Author intended.  52 is the Option
> > override command.  53 seems somewhat more sensible, being the DHCP
> > Discover option.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with Option override does, so I am probably wrong.
> >

> > Also, our DHCP server here seems to want more in the Options.  I have not
> > narrowed it down to the smallest set yet, but the following options seem
> > to make it happy:
> >
> > 53 - Discover
> > 61 - Client Id (MAC Address, should it need this?)
> > 55 - Parameter List
>
> Update to the latest version from CVS - this has been changed a lot
> in the recent past.
>
> --
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
> MLB Associates
>

> --

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot DHCP
@ 2003-11-04  8:24     ` Andrew Lunn
       [not found]       ` <3FA7CEFA.6040402@rawbw.com>
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-04  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Newlin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:47:24PM -0800, John Newlin wrote:

> Works great now!
>
> I see there is at least some stub code for DNS, but does not
> look complete.  Is that something someone is working on?

DNS should work when you add the DNS package to the configuration.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot DHCP
       [not found]       ` <3FA7CEFA.6040402@rawbw.com>
@ 2003-11-04 16:18         ` John Newlin
From: John Newlin @ 2003-11-04 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

oops, forgot to include ecos group

John Newlin wrote:

> These 2 options:
> CYGPKG_REDBOOT_NETWORKING_DNS
> and
> CYGPKG_NS_DNS?
>
> or are there more?  So many to choose from.
>

> Also in the DHCP code there is a loop that goes over the returned
> options and picks off the subnet, gateway, but does not pick up the
> DNS server:
>
> #ifdef CYGSEM_REDBOOT_NETWORKING_USE_GATEWAY
>                            case TAG_SUBNET_MASK:  // subnet mask
>                                memcpy(__local_ip_mask,p,4);
>                                break;
>                            case TAG_GATEWAY:  // router
>                                memcpy(__local_ip_gate,p,4);
>                                break;
> #endif
>

> I was going to add a:
> case TAG_DNS:
>   // copy in the DNS server address
>   break;
>

> Thanks!
>
> -john
>

> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:47:24PM -0800, John Newlin wrote:
>>
>>> Works great now!
>>>
>>> I see there is at least some stub code for DNS, but does not
>>> look complete.  Is that something someone is working on?
>>>

>> DNS should work when you add the DNS package to the configuration.
>>
>>    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot DHCP
@ 2003-11-04 16:53           ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-04 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Newlin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:18:09AM -0800, John Newlin wrote:
> oops, forgot to include ecos group
>
> John Newlin wrote:
>
> >These 2 options:
> >CYGPKG_REDBOOT_NETWORKING_DNS
> >and
> >CYGPKG_NS_DNS?
> >
> >or are there more?  So many to choose from.

It should work out these options itself. Just add the DNS package to
the configuration.

> >Also in the DHCP code there is a loop that goes over the returned
> >options and picks off the subnet, gateway, but does not pick up the
> >DNS server:
> >
> >#ifdef CYGSEM_REDBOOT_NETWORKING_USE_GATEWAY
> >                           case TAG_SUBNET_MASK:  // subnet mask
> >                               memcpy(__local_ip_mask,p,4);
> >                               break;
> >                           case TAG_GATEWAY:  // router