* [ECOS] New user question
@ 2003-11-05 13:53 Richardson, Anthony
From: Richardson, Anthony @ 2003-11-05 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I'm betting this falls into the "stupid user error" category ...

I downloaded and installed everything under Windows/cygwin.
I've gone through the process of building the test as directed
in the manual.

The problem is that I don't seem to have the "target sim" available
in gdb:

$ i386-elf-gdb -nw i386_install/tests/kernel/v2_0/tests/bin_sem0
GNU gdb 5.3 (eCosCentric)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=i386-elf"...
(gdb) target sim
Undefined target command: "sim".  Try "help target".

===

Sure enough "help target" doesn't list "sim" as an available target.
Did I miss a configuration option when I was building the tests or
the library?

(I also tried just "run" from the gdb prompt, but then I get a
"Don't know how to run.  Try "help target"." error)

Thanks,
Tony Richardson

* Re: [ECOS] New user question
@ 2003-11-05 14:06 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-05 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richardson, Anthony; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:53:11AM -0600, Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> I'm betting this falls into the "stupid user error" category ...
>
> I downloaded and installed everything under Windows/cygwin.
> I've gone through the process of building the test as directed
> in the manual.
>
> The problem is that I don't seem to have the "target sim" available
> in gdb:

The sim target is only available for a few processor types. i386 is
not one of them.

Look at the appendix in
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/ecos-user-guide.html

It lists a number of architecture simulators. Or consider using linux
sythn target,

      Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] New User Question
@ 2010-12-22 20:12   ` Peter Smith
From: Peter Smith @ 2010-12-22 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Gavrikov; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Sergei,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am using 32bit synthetic linux and are
attempting to build the examples with linux gcc version gcc version
4.4.5 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.4-14ubuntu5). I am wondering if I have the
incorrect/incompatible set of tools.

On 21 December 2010 19:56, Sergei Gavrikov <sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Peter Smith wrote:
>
>> Having discovered eCos I thought I would try to build and run the
>> examples on the synthetic linux target.
>>
>> I created the build tree using ecosconfig new linux followed by
>> ecosconfig tree.
>>
>> I then built the tree without errors.
>>
>> My problem came when attempting to build the examples as shown below.
>>
>> psmith@ubuntu:~/examples$ make INSTALL_DIR=$HOME/linux/install
>> gcc -c -o hello.o -I/home/psmith/linux/install/include -Wall
>> -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual
>> -Wno-write-strings -g -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
>> -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions hello.c
>> cc1: warning: command line option "-Woverloaded-virtual" is valid for
>> C++/ObjC++ but not for C
>> cc1: warning: command line option "-fno-rtti" is valid for C++/ObjC++
>> but not for C
>> gcc -nostartfiles -L/home/psmith/linux/install/lib -Ttarget.ld -g
>> -nostdlib -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-static -o hello hello.o
>> target.ld:33 cannot move location counter backwards (from
>> 000000000200cd10 to 00000000007f32f0)
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make: *** [hello] Error 1
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 10.10 by the way
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> if your host is x86_64 you can try some from recipes which you can find
> on the list
>
> http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=eCos+AND+synthetic+AND+x86_64
>
> Sergei

* Re: [ECOS] New User Question
@ 2010-12-21 19:56 ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2010-12-21 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Smith; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Peter Smith wrote:

> Having discovered eCos I thought I would try to build and run the
> examples on the synthetic linux target.
>
> I created the build tree using ecosconfig new linux followed by
> ecosconfig tree.
>
> I then built the tree without errors.
>
> My problem came when attempting to build the examples as shown below.
>
> psmith@ubuntu:~/examples$ make INSTALL_DIR=$HOME/linux/install
> gcc -c -o hello.o -I/home/psmith/linux/install/include -Wall
> -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual
> -Wno-write-strings -g -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
> -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions hello.c
> cc1: warning: command line option "-Woverloaded-virtual" is valid for
> C++/ObjC++ but not for C
> cc1: warning: command line option "-fno-rtti" is valid for C++/ObjC++
> but not for C
> gcc -nostartfiles -L/home/psmith/linux/install/lib -Ttarget.ld -g
> -nostdlib -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-static -o hello hello.o
> target.ld:33 cannot move location counter backwards (from
> 000000000200cd10 to 00000000007f32f0)
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [hello] Error 1
>
> I am using Ubuntu 10.10 by the way

Hi Peter,

if your host is x86_64 you can try some from recipes which you can find
on the list

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=eCos+AND+synthetic+AND+x86_64

Sergei

* [ECOS] New User Question
@ 2010-12-21 18:36 Peter Smith
From: Peter Smith @ 2010-12-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

[...]

Thanks in advance
Peter Smith

* Re: [ECOS] New user question
@ 2003-11-07 12:38 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-07 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richardson, Anthony; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 06:22:35AM -0600, Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:53:11AM -0600, Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> > > The problem is that I don't seem to have the "target sim" available
> > > in gdb:
> >
> > The sim target is only available for a few processor types. i386 is
> > not one of them.
> >
> > Look at the appendix in
> > http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/ecos-user-guide.html
> >
> > It lists a number of architecture simulators. Or consider using linux
> > sythn target,
>
> I was able to build the linux synth target, but get an error when I try
> build the tests.  Specifically:
>
> gcc -g -nostdlib -Wl,-static -Wl,--fatal-warnings
> -L/home/ar63/ecos/work/linuxsynth_install/lib -Ttarget.ld
> -o
> /home/ar63/ecos/work/linuxsynth_install/tests/infra/v2_0/tests/cxxsupp
> tests/cxxsupp.o
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ar63/ecos/work/linuxsynth_build/infra/v2_0'
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2/libsupc++.a(new_op.o)(.text._Zn
> wj+0xb7): In function `operator new(unsigned)':
> make: Leaving directory `/home/ar63/ecos/work/linuxsynth_build'
> : undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'
>
> Any suggestions?

This is kind of normal. It is to do with exception handling, which is
specific to the version of gcc being used. The native gcc is being
used for synth and there are many different versions out there. It is
not possible to make this work for all tools.

Its not a major problem unless you want to do what the test program is
testing, which is unlikely.

         Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] New user question
@ 2003-11-07 12:22 Richardson, Anthony
From: Richardson, Anthony @ 2003-11-07 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:53:11AM -0600, Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> > The problem is that I don't seem to have the "target sim" available
> > in gdb:
>
> The sim target is only available for a few processor types. i386 is
> not one of them.
>
> Look at the appendix in
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/ecos-user-guide.html
>
> It lists a number of architecture simulators. Or consider using linux
> sythn target,

I was able to build the linux synth target, but get an error when I try
build the tests.  Specifically:

gcc -g -nostdlib -Wl,-static -Wl,--fatal-warnings
-L/home/ar63/ecos/work/linuxsynth_install/lib -Ttarget.ld
-o
/home/ar63/ecos/work/linuxsynth_install/tests/infra/v2_0/tests/cxxsupp
tests/cxxsupp.o
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/ar63/ecos/work/linuxsynth_build/infra/v2_0'
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2/libsupc++.a(new_op.o)(.text._Zn
wj+0xb7): In function `operator new(unsigned)':
make: Leaving directory `/home/ar63/ecos/work/linuxsynth_build'
: undefined reference to `_Unwind_Resume'

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tony Richardson

* Re: [ECOS] New user question
@ 2003-11-06 16:43 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richardson, Anthony; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:32:19AM -0600, Richardson, Anthony wrote:

> > Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:53:11AM -0600, Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> > > The problem is that I don't seem to have the "target sim" available
> > > in gdb:
> >
> > The sim target is only available for a few processor types. i386 is
> > not one of them.
> >
> > Look at the appendix in
> > http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/ecos-user-guide.html
> >
> > It lists a number of architecture simulators. Or consider using linux
> > sythn target,
>
> Thanks for responding.  I decided to try to use the TX39 simulator.
> But apparently I need to build the build tools for that?  Is there
> a recommended simulator that uses one of the supplied build tool sets?

What platform are you on? If linux i'd actually suggest using the
linux target. Its not a simulator, rather a synthetic target which
runs as a process on Linux.

Is you are on M$, then sorry, i don't know. I've not used simulators
myself.

        Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] New user question
@ 2003-11-06 15:32 Richardson, Anthony
From: Richardson, Anthony @ 2003-11-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:53:11AM -0600, Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> > The problem is that I don't seem to have the "target sim" available
> > in gdb:
>
> The sim target is only available for a few processor types. i386 is
> not one of them.
>
> Look at the appendix in
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/ecos-user-guide.html
>
> It lists a number of architecture simulators. Or consider using linux
> sythn target,

Thanks for responding.  I decided to try to use the TX39 simulator.
But apparently I need to build the build tools for that?  Is there
a recommended simulator that uses one of the supplied build tool sets?

Tony