* [ECOS] eCos Windows/Cygwin Installation help
@ 2005-07-11 18:25 Joshua Fitzgerald
From: Joshua Fitzgerald @ 2005-07-11 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am attempting to install the eCos development environment on Windows
XP / Cygwin. I followed what few instructions there were on the website
but clearly no Windows tools have been installed, and the Cygwin tools
seem to think things are not set up correctly. I did the following:

* verified that my existing Cygwin solution had the recommended
packages, including gcc, make, sharutils, tcltk, and wget.
* invoked wget as follows: wget --passive-ftp
ftp://ecos.sourceware.org/pub/ecos/ecos-install.tcl
* executed the install script: sh ecos-install.tcl

When I execute configtool from the Cygwin command-line, it loads but
cannot seem to find package subdirectories with valid versions, and then
closes. I cannot run the app from windows directly.

Any help on getting started here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh Fitzgerald
San Francisco, CA

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Windows/Cygwin Installation help
@ 2005-07-11 18:53 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-07-11 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Fitzgerald; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:25:40AM -0700, Joshua Fitzgerald wrote:
> I am attempting to install the eCos development environment on Windows
> XP / Cygwin. I followed what few instructions there were on the website
> but clearly no Windows tools have been installed, and the Cygwin tools
> seem to think things are not set up correctly. I did the following:
>
> * verified that my existing Cygwin solution had the recommended
> packages, including gcc, make, sharutils, tcltk, and wget.
> * invoked wget as follows: wget --passive-ftp
> ftp://ecos.sourceware.org/pub/ecos/ecos-install.tcl
> * executed the install script: sh ecos-install.tcl
>
> When I execute configtool from the Cygwin command-line, it loads but
> cannot seem to find package subdirectories with valid versions, and then
> closes. I cannot run the app from windows directly.

FAQ:

Try searching the archive. That will bring you to

http://ecoscentric.com/devzone/configtool.shtml

        Andrew

* [ECOS] ConfigTool as general library configurator
@ 2005-07-11 21:05   ` Frank Pagliughi
From: Frank Pagliughi @ 2005-07-11 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Is "configurator" a word? Anyway...

I'm working on a library that needs to support multiple platforms from a
single code base using lots of conditional compilation, and I keep
switching between Windows and Linux hosts. Now that the make files are
getting completely out of control, I got to thinking about how nice it
would be to have something like the graphical eCos Configtool to
configure and recompile my library. Then I thought maybe the Configtool,
itself, would work if I wrote a new "ecos.db" database for my library.

I've had some initial success, but there's still a couple hurdles:
- The Tools|Repository option takes the name of the source tree, rather
than the database itself. The name of the database is hard-coded as
"ecos.db"
- At least one Template is required even though the library may be
simple enough to be defined easily with it's targets.
- The build requires link scripts, memory maps, and so on, while an
application library archiver wouldn't need any of that. (I'm currently
stuck on this one).
- It appears tied directly to the GNU tools, though with some tweaking
should work with most command-line compilers.

I think if its tight integration with eCos were loosened a bit, it would
be a great general-purpose, open-source, multi-platform, configurable
build tool.Does any one else think so?

Or are you all just laughing at me?

Frank Pagliughi