* [ECOS] mounting large JFFS2 partition.
@ 2005-08-31  6:39 Benny Chen
From: Benny Chen @ 2005-08-31  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi there,
It seems that when mounting a large jffs2 partition (5M) the system
seems to take a long time about 30 seconds. This also happens when we do
a directory listing of the mount point for the first time.  Seems to be
due to reading the inodes of the fs.

Is this delay part of the overheads of using JFFS2?

Also, when mounting large JFFS2 partition, nothing else seems to be
running. The jffs2 routines seems to have the processor all for itself.
Hence, this causes my watchdog to timeout.

Is this normal?

Regards,
Benny Chen

* Re: [ECOS] mounting large JFFS2 partition.
@ 2005-08-31  8:46 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-08-31  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benny Chen; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:22:20AM +1000, Benny Chen wrote:
> Hi there,
> It seems that when mounting a large jffs2 partition (5M) the system
> seems to take a long time about 30 seconds. This also happens when we do
> a directory listing of the mount point for the first time.  Seems to be
> due to reading the inodes of the fs.
>
> Is this delay part of the overheads of using JFFS2?

Yes, JFFS2 is known to take a long time to start with big partitions.

> Also, when mounting large JFFS2 partition, nothing else seems to be
> running. The jffs2 routines seems to have the processor all for itself.

This is strange. When do you mount the partition? I assume it is after
the schedular is started. What priority is the thread mounting the
filesystem and the thread running the watchdog?

        Andrew